The Yowie

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Here's a clipping from the Sydney Morning Herald from 1877. Particularly interesting to me because I moved from Sydney to Sutton Forest in the Southern Highlands of New South Wales when I was 14. It's still a farming village, though not somewhere I could picture a Yowie living these days as there are no dense areas of thick vegetation or bush remaining. More interesting as I now live in the town that was once called 'Jordan's Crossing'. It sits on the edge of a national park and a number of Yowie sightings and foot prints have been recorded in this area and in nearby town over the past couple of decades.

suttonforestyowie.jpg

The image was originally found on the Yowie Hunters forum:
https://www.yowiehunters.com.au/media-clips/1701-1877-sydney-morning-herald-yowie-article

Also available from their Facebook page:

A short article from the Sydney Morning Herald dated 12th October, 1877 pertaining to a Yowie sighting near Moss Vale (south of Sydney).
https://www.facebook.com/2009388933...U-kyerhXvpjCmMapWDXsbSHuNT6XC8tj&__tn__=EHH-R

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Article on the recent bushfires and the impact they've had on the Yowie:

Yowie hunter claims recent lack of sightings of the mysterious beast is because bushfires have driven the hairy Bigfoot-like creature deeper inland
  • Queensland's yowie population has taken a hit following devastating bushfires
  • Dean Harrison from Australian Yowie Research has studied yowies for 20 years
  • He said the Hinterland fires forced yowies further inland due to dangers

Australia's yowie population has taken a hit following the devastating bushfire season, according to a supposed expert.

Dean Harrison from Australian Yowie Research has been studying the mythical creatures for 20 years and claims to have had many encounters with the hairy beasts on Queensland's Gold Coast.

He said there had been a 'change in behaviour as' bushfires forced yowies further inland.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...said-yowies-escaped-Queensland-bushfires.html

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Is there any evidence that yowies (if they exist) would be any better at avoiding the bushfires than any other large mammal in Australia?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Is there any evidence that yowies (if they exist) would be any better at avoiding the bushfires than any other large mammal in Australia?
I would doubt it given the roughly estimated number of one billion animal lives lost in the recent fires and that's not counting insect, bird and small reptiles/amphibians lost.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Has there been any analysis of the impact on the Aboriginal communities specifically? I've read stuff about the general human population but am wondering.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Some footage that's just been posted both on YouTube and on the Australian Yowie Research Forum this week.

The first part shows what they're claiming to be a shapeshifting Yowie. I think it's just a tree and a case of pareidolia, the second half though does seem to suggest (although not too clearly) that there may be something moving, possibly sitting, then standing and moving away, just meters away from the person filming.

As always with this stuff, it's interesting, but far from conclusive.

The Yowie Forum where the video is discussed: http://www.yowiehunters.net/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6581

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A video by Aussie comedian Isaac Butterfield. He takes a look at the Yowie and goes looking for it with some seasoned researchers/explorers. There's some strong language used here so NSFW and some more unusual theories (ie: Yowies are interdimensional beings), but it's probably worth an hour of your time.

Hunting For Australia's Bigfoot (The Yowie)

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Someone's put a lot of time & effort into this: An interactive map of Australia listing known Yowie sightings/encounters.
Clicking on the relevant coloured markers brings up information on the encounter. Clicking then on the text takes you to the relevant information on the Yowie Hunters website or YouTube.
The markers are colour coded into audio, video & written reports.
This is well done.

https://studiopentagon.info/stats/yowiemap.php

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score
Again, we see the non-physical suggestions for what some cryptozoologists would conclude are claims of a real animal. This has become more prevalent in cryptozoology (though it was there from the early days).

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A recent interview with Dean Harrison, one of the more dedicated Yowie hunters giving his thoughts, insights & opinions on the topic:

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Quick question which I've not managed to find out. Did the Yowie's historically "wood knock" before say 1960 or is it a recent thing they do?
Good question. Ill have to look that up. I'm away for the next week or so but i'll look into it. I know that there are accounts of them hurling rocks and weilding clubs.