• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

Every version of this Isle of Wight story does seem to be explicable as confusion arising from approaching the Blacksmith's Arms at Calbourne from the appropriately named Betty Haunt Lane, which runs south from the Forest Road to Calbourne Road aka Middle Road, which are parallel and quite similar in general character - except one has a pub on it and the other does not. They are linked by several similar-looking minor lanes but only Betty Haunt Lane gives you a view of the pub on the approach with the gravelled car park in front.
There is no trace of any pub called either Falcon or Vulcan in that part of the island on any map I've seen between the 1880s and the present day - The Blacksmith's Arms does fit the bill, I wonder if it ever had an image of Vulcan on its sign?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.6...4!1s_EiDRHO6mb-y6FvXg3jzVg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Every version of this Isle of Wight story does seem to be explicable as confusion arising from approaching the Blacksmith's Arms at Calbourne from the appropriately named Betty Haunt Lane, which runs south from the Forest Road to Calbourne Road aka Middle Road, which are parallel and quite similar in general character - except one has a pub on it and the other does not. They are linked by several similar-looking minor lanes but only Betty Haunt Lane gives you a view of the pub on the approach with the gravelled car park in front.
There is no trace of any pub called either Falcon or Vulcan in that part of the island on any map I've seen between the 1880s and the present day - The Blacksmith's Arms does fit the bill, I wonder if it ever had an image of Vulcan on its sign?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.6...4!1s_EiDRHO6mb-y6FvXg3jzVg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Its been done up a lot since the old days, but its definitely not the time slip pub. The Island at one time had many pubs, you would never get through a pub crawl in Newport.
However I seem to have located Wendy Lacey on facebook and have put in a friend request, as the part of Gary and Wendy's story exactly coincides with mine up to the point where they enter the pub.(From then on you have to buy the book) so it will be interesting to see if the inside is the same . I am not letting this one go as its getting interesting.

Last edited:
Yes, online the Lacey's story stops abruptly and the reader is told to buy the author's book to find out the rest. But it does seem to match your experience. I wonder if you can recall the name of the 80-yr old dancer, or her husband; and whether you could search online for theatrical biographies of old stars or images of them that might match the people you saw. I wonder also if local historians might help in searching for the pub -- I got vital info from my own local historian at Rougham.

I cant remember her name, i've got the feeling she was with the wartime entertainment corps. If she was eighty in nineteen seventy, She might have been at the end of her career, around the war years. I 'am waiting for a reply from Wendy or Gary lacey which i'm pretty sure went into the same pub.

I've just been looking through an old book I have, Phenomena by John Michell and Robert J.M. Rickard. It's quite a good introduction to many Fortean subjects and I'm sure that many people on here will own a copy.

The section in the book that deals with time or dimensional slips is called Strange Scenes and Phantom Cottages. Most of the stories are in fact about people stumbling across cottages and their inhabitants deep in the countryside which then suddenly vanish, never to be found again. The 'Versailles Adventure' is included.

Also mentioned is an account from Ivan T. Sanderson who, for a few moments, saw a medieval Parisian street - in Haiti. The source was from 1969, has anyone else heard anything about this?

Then there is a newspaper clipping, from the Daily Mirror, 10th November 1969 about the Swain family of Ilminster, Somerset who had embarked on roughly 250 trips over 17 years in search of a lake they once saw in the New Forest. In the centre of the lake they saw a rock with a sword embedded in it and had been unable to find it again.

Just thought I would mention these tales in case someone might have something further to add, as I find they have an extra layer of strangeness to them.

Then there is a newspaper clipping, from the Daily Mirror, 10th November 1969 about the Swain family of Ilminster, Somerset who had embarked on roughly 250 trips over 17 years in search of a lake they once saw in the New Forest. In the centre of the lake they saw a rock with a sword embedded in it and had been unable to find it again.

Just thought I would mention these tales in case someone might have something further to add, as I find they have an extra layer of strangeness to them.
It doesn't add much, but James W. posted about this in 2002:
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/appearing-disappearing-trees.2725/#post-47103
:p

I've just been looking through an old book I have, Phenomena by John Michell and Robert J.M. Rickard. It's quite a good introduction to many Fortean subjects and I'm sure that many people on here will own a copy.

The section in the book that deals with time or dimensional slips is called Strange Scenes and Phantom Cottages. Most of the stories are in fact about people stumbling across cottages and their inhabitants deep in the countryside which then suddenly vanish, never to be found again. The 'Versailles Adventure' is included.

Also mentioned is an account from Ivan T. Sanderson who, for a few moments, saw a medieval Parisian street - in Haiti. The source was from 1969, has anyone else heard anything about this?

The Ivan Sanderson case is often quoted. Sanderson was a naturalist, I believe, who worked in Intelligence in the war, and wrote some books about UFOs and other topics. Obviously he was a sensitive himself. I recall him quoting a native Haitiian to the effect that, "You saw something, didn't you? If you tried you could see such things all the time." This would be a time AND dimensional slip of course.

Seeing Phenomena described as "an old book" makes me realise how old I'm getting...

I've ordered a copy of the book with the Lacey case.

The Ivan Sanderson case is often quoted. Sanderson was a naturalist, I believe, who worked in Intelligence in the war, and wrote some books about UFOs and other topics. Obviously he was a sensitive himself. I recall him quoting a native Haitiian to the effect that, "You saw something, didn't you? If you tried you could see such things all the time." This would be a time AND dimensional slip of course.

Seeing Phenomena described as "an old book" makes me realise how old I'm getting...

I've ordered a copy of the book with the Lacey case.

That will be interesting, I hope they respond to my Facebook request. Its always good to get details from source.

It can be pretty well established that the sword in the stone, is a great tale.. a creation, which works well in the tales of Arthur, so in this case it seems the sword in the stone jumps out of the pages into reality for at least a small amount of time. Its also established in many peoples minds. Dare I say like U.F.O.'s ghosts etc. The ideal a cottage in the country might even be in the same genre, the self sufficient idyll, a Utopian space.

I am also trying to track down a missing cafe where a lady had a coffee in 1981, in Piccadilly Circus station, but was never able to find it later. The witness in that case does not consider it a time slip, and she has had one or two other dimensional type experiences.
Was that the one which was in a subway, sort of an alcove in the pedestrian tunnel? It certainly rings a bell.

Was that the one which was in a subway, sort of an alcove in the pedestrian tunnel? It certainly rings a bell.

It was a cafe that was at the foot of the steps down from the Glasshouse Road entrance. The witness, upset because she couldn't find her boyfriend, was taken there by a kindly old couple. She had a sudden vsion that her boy friend was at the top of the steps and ran up to meet him. All sound ceased for a few seconds, then the old couple followed her up. Later on she had many other dimensional and other experiences.

Now this rings a bell with me. Didn't she say that she saw something awful in the cafe that prompted her to leave but it was so horrible that she wouldn't repeat what it was?

Or something like that.

Now this rings a bell with me. Didn't she say that she saw something awful in the cafe that prompted her to leave but it was so horrible that she wouldn't repeat what it was?

Or something like that.

There was a scary old lady in the cafe, behind a counter with a Heath Robinson kind of machine with copper tubing, who kept staring at them, but the experience that caused her to rush up the steps was her sudden intuition about her boy friend. She didn't describe this in the DS forum because she felt it too personal, not that it was too horrible!

At the moment we just have some clues to follow up, but a pattern is already emerging connecting a variety of odd happenings, including time and dimensional slips, with geological and astronomical factors. Here is an example that I only just came across: doubtless most Fortean enthusiasts will know about the Biefield-Brown effect, made famous by Townsend Brown's Project Winterhaven, a field propulsion drive based on capacitors charged to ultra high voltages. It seems that measurements of the strength of the effect were found to vary in relation to mean solar time, lunar hour angle, and sidereal time. As I suggested in the context of Project Cronos, maybe variations in earth energy modify the strength of the effect. Finding a similar effect in an entirely separate "antigravity" project is quite remarkable

How deep down the rabbit hole can we actually go, like does the Universe actually exist in the way it appears. The most efficient (energy wise) way for the Universe to exist would be as a coded interpretation of reality as seen by each observing consciousness, from its different relative point of view. All very similar but never the same. Because the point of observation for each one can never be the same in time.
The fact that we have to change consciousness to keep the reality stable, by sleeping regularly, is a fact. If we don't the illusion starts getting ragged, with anomalies hallucinations etc. Their must be a sea of electromagnetic waves, getting interpreted as solid three dimensional structures. I find it a bit strange, that under the classical view, regarding life of the Earth the necessity of having a moon being in the Goldilocks zone etc. and all the other millions, of "lucky" things that happened on this rock to produce and maintain life, are so far out in the area of probability, that it cant be real in the classical sense, as the chances are zillions to one. Which only leaves the higher probability,that it exists in a place where it cant be destroyed, one of an infinite number of probabilities of the lucid dream type state.That could where the anomalies start making sense.

@anonentity that is a neat & brave attempt to summarise the indescribable infinities of perceived reality.

Fantastic phenomenological philosophising....

@anonentity that is a neat & brave attempt to summarise the indescribable infinities of perceived reality.

Fantastic phenomenological philosophising....

...or Handwaving, as some of us would put it! :twisted: (Jamming together a load of unrelated facts and suppositions into a few sentences, and hoping bullshit will baffle brains!)

It might help if anonentity knew the difference between 'Their' and 'There'.

...or Handwaving, as some of us would put it! :twisted: (Jamming together a load of unrelated facts and suppositions into a few sentences, and hoping bullshit will baffle brains!)

It might help if anonentity knew the difference between 'Their' and 'There'.

I expected no more from you Rynner2, lol.

I expected no more from you Rynner2, lol.
Well, I'm going to give you more anyway!

If you really want to know why we are here (as opposed to, say, there) read this book:

The Anthropic Cosmological Principle

by John D. Barrow and Frank J. Tipler

First published 1986.

It's packed chock full of interesting facts and theories - it'll keep you out of mischief for ages!

"Is there any connection between the vastness of the universes of stars and galaxies and the existence of life on a small planet out in the suburbs of the Milky Way? This book shows that there is. In their classic work, John Barrow and Frank Tipler examine the question of Mankind's place in the Universe, taking the reader on a tour of many scientific disciplines and offering fascinating insights into issues such as the nature of life, the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, and the past history and fate of our universe."
https://global.oup.com/academic/pro...ogical-principle-9780192821478?cc=gb&lang=en&

If a book of about 700 pages is too much to cope with, Wiki explores some of the ideas here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

(It's also been discussed on a few threads on this MB.)

Enjoy! :)

Well, I'm going to give you more anyway!

If you really want to know why we are here (as opposed to, say, there) read this book:

The Anthropic Cosmological Principle

by John D. Barrow and Frank J. Tipler

First published 1986.

It's packed chock full of interesting facts and theories - it'll keep you out of mischief for ages!

"Is there any connection between the vastness of the universes of stars and galaxies and the existence of life on a small planet out in the suburbs of the Milky Way? This book shows that there is. In their classic work, John Barrow and Frank Tipler examine the question of Mankind's place in the Universe, taking the reader on a tour of many scientific disciplines and offering fascinating insights into issues such as the nature of life, the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, and the past history and fate of our universe."
https://global.oup.com/academic/pro...ogical-principle-9780192821478?cc=gb&lang=en&

If a book of about 700 pages is too much to cope with, Wiki explores some of the ideas here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

(It's also been discussed on a few threads on this MB.)

Enjoy! :)

Apologies, sod all to do with the subject. One of the reasons I like Amazon so much is that I can look this book up without having to go into Blackwell's and inevitably ask for the book "about star things by John Barrowman", because that is how I would phrase it!)
I know I could write the info down, or print off the page. But where's the fun in that? My choice is: do it sensibly on the internet or make a bell end of myself outside? How confident and happy (cocky) do I feel today?

It was a cafe that was at the foot of the steps down from the Glasshouse Road entrance. The witness, upset because she couldn't find her boyfriend, was taken there by a kindly old couple. She had a sudden vsion that her boy friend was at the top of the steps and ran up to meet him. All sound ceased for a few seconds, then the old couple followed her up. Later on she had many other dimensional and other experiences.
There is no 'Glasshouse Road' around Piccadilly Circus station.

How deep down the rabbit hole can we actually go, like does the Universe actually exist in the way it appears. The most efficient (energy wise) way for the Universe to exist would be as a coded interpretation of reality as seen by each observing consciousness, from its different relative point of view. All very similar but never the same. Because the point of observation for each one can never be the same in time.
The fact that we have to change consciousness to keep the reality stable, by sleeping regularly, is a fact. If we don't the illusion starts getting ragged, with anomalies hallucinations etc. Their must be a sea of electromagnetic waves, getting interpreted as solid three dimensional structures. I find it a bit strange, that under the classical view, regarding life of the Earth the necessity of having a moon being in the Goldilocks zone etc. and all the other millions, of "lucky" things that happened on this rock to produce and maintain life, are so far out in the area of probability, that it cant be real in the classical sense, as the chances are zillions to one. Which only leaves the higher probability,that it exists in a place where it cant be destroyed, one of an infinite number of probabilities of the lucid dream type state.That could where the anomalies start making sense.

Well, I don't pretend to know how the whole thing works. I think Brian Whitworth has gone about as far as you could explaining virtual reality in terms of basic assumptions, but if these assumptions are themselves based upon observations taking place within the virtual arena, everything becomes circular. Same with the theory that we are in a VR situation inside a supercomputer -- the concept of the electronic computer is also derived from observations and theories within the simulation. As you say, there is plenty of evidence, from the position of the moon to the basic constants of different physical parameters in the universe, that more than a random process is underway. And so maybe the anomalies we see derive from malfunctions in the system. But what that system is in "physical" terms may be completely beyond us at the moment. The clue about torsion fields may be significant, or it may be another dead end!

There is no 'Glasshouse Road' around Piccadilly Circus station.
It was Glasshouse Street, had a feeling I was wrong saying Road. You can search for it on Google Earth, it runs westerly from the Circus then joins Regent Street.

That will be interesting, I hope they respond to my Facebook request. Its always good to get details from source.

Received the book, without going into too much detail, the Laceys hesitated to enter the pub, since Gary, a postman, knew the area well and knew there should be no pub there. They went in to find a large, old fashioned room with old blue lino. Although it was warm outside it felt chilly there. The landlord in a checked shirt and trousers belted high on his waist and his Mrs (presumably) in a similarly outdated style. They had no wine but sold Wendy a cider and Gary a beer. They had no crisps or any other food. The change seemed wrong, but it wasn't until they left that they discovered it had old pennies in it. The sound quality seemedd muted. The other customers, about 20 of them, all farming types in older style clothes, stared at them. Wendy, in jeans, felt out of place. They stayed only long enough to finish their drinks, 15 mins, then left. The road was still empty, and they drove to Brighstone, where there were cars and people and life, and it seemed as if they had wakened from a dream.

It was Glasshouse Street, had a feeling I was wrong saying Road. You can search for it on Google Earth, it runs westerly from the Circus then joins Regent Street.
OK, thanks - I can find it now.

They had no wine but sold Wendy a cider and Gary a beer. They had no crisps or any other food. The change seemed wrong, but it wasn't until they left that they discovered it had old pennies in it.
What money did they use to pay for the drinks? It's a bit odd that the landlord didn't think the modern money was 'wrong'.

What money did they use to pay for the drinks? It's a bit odd that the landlord didn't think the modern money was 'wrong'.

This is a problematic issue in many time slips! Also the author, Gay Baldwin, doesn't pick up on it. Did the change include both old and decimal coins? Maybe anonentity can get in touch with the witnesses and get the answer.

Received the book, without going into too much detail, the Laceys hesitated to enter the pub, since Gary, a postman, knew the area well and knew there should be no pub there. They went in to find a large, old fashioned room with old blue lino. Although it was warm outside it felt chilly there. The landlord in a checked shirt and trousers belted high on his waist and his Mrs (presumably) in a similarly outdated style. They had no wine but sold Wendy a cider and Gary a beer. They had no crisps or any other food. The change seemed wrong, but it wasn't until they left that they discovered it had old pennies in it. The sound quality seemedd muted. The other customers, about 20 of them, all farming types in older style clothes, stared at them. Wendy, in jeans, felt out of place. They stayed only long enough to finish their drinks, 15 mins, then left. The road was still empty, and they drove to Brighstone, where there were cars and people and life, and it seemed as if they had wakened from a dream.

That's interesting Carl, we have two people who observed essentially the same thing. Clearly they had an Oz effect when getting back to Brighstone, "As if waking from a dream" Were they and other observers of this type actually dreaming together. and emerging from hypnogogic state (OZ effect)?.
Then if you can dream together where does that leave us. How many of us have had dreams of being intimate with an ex partner, or even the significant other, only to find that they had experienced the same thing on the same night?, repeating dreams about certain people and environments, doesn't seem to suggest you have to know them well but it helps. Intimacy is among other things, exchange of information, and a form of communication, Theirs plenty of reasonable statements around of the shared dream kind. The question is can it be triggered by just walking down a street, if the street isn't real in the classical sense to begin with but already part of a shared general dream (for the want of another word) then it probably can .
It would be interesting but pure conjecture, to have observed their arrival back from the experience, did they, just pop back into this reality, did some one in Brightstone look up and see a Metro that wasn't their a moment ago? and probably think nothing of it, unless of course it hit them.

This is a problematic issue in many time slips! Also the author, Gay Baldwin, doesn't pick up on it. Did the change include both old and decimal coins? Maybe anonentity can get in touch with the witnesses and get the answer.

The landlord wouldn't have worried much if they were all in a shared dream sequence, it would all be lucid because it was during the real day. Because who dreams during the day, looking for a pub.

Back