• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

TV Broadcasts From The Future & Phantom Websites

It's not that far off in its generic sci-fi way. Could it have grown in the memory?

Wow, people are still posting on my original thread, and I am still waiting for the reply from the email sent to me on 09/10/10 regarding my original posting of TV Broadcasts from the future.

Regards

matt_tee

Wow, people are still posting on my original thread, and I am still waiting for the reply from the email sent to me on 09/10/10 regarding my original posting of TV Broadcasts from the future.

Regards

matt_tee

Welcome back around, matt_tee.

It's not often we get closure on anything, so I thought I would share an e-mail I received Monday night regarding the obscure TV program the name of which I had been searching in vain for a few decades.

"In 1977 and 1978, CBS aired a pair of hour-long pilots for a proposed supernatural drama. Granville Van Dusen starred as a sportswriter named Paul Taylor who dies on the operating table after a motorcycle accident. He's brought back to life. Now he can hear the voices of people who've just died so he can help their family members.

The first pilot was called "The World of Darkness" and aired on Sunday, April 17th, 1977. In it, Paul Taylor is sent to a town in New England where a woman and her aunt are terrified by an evil spirit.

The second pilot was called "The World Beyond" and aired on Friday, January 21st, 1978. Paul travels to an island in Canada where a creature made of mud is killing residents.

You can watch "The World Beyond" on YouTube in its entirety:

The pilots weren't picked up and no additional episodes were made. They fit your recollections perfectly. Could these pilots be what you remember watching? They aired in 1977 and 1978, not 1974 or 1975, but it's not uncommon for people to e-mail me and be off a few years. After all, we're talking about something you saw on TV over forty years ago."

It's kind of weird but I actually have ambivalent feelings about this. I am pleased that I finally have my answer but, at the same time, I'm a little bummed about losing one of my life's little mysteries. Makes me wonder whether we might not react similarly if we finally got an answer to something like UFOs.

Regards

matt_tee
yep, we also found a bunch of other similar unknow trasmission and websites events

I'm going to resurrect this thread to share one of my stories because it's similar enough to the topic. Unfortunately I can't remember the details very well so apologies if this is a bit sketchy.

Some years ago, I'd guess sometime between 2004-2006, I was watching the TV with my parents when I experienced an interrupted broadcast. From what I remember we were watching one of the main terrestrial channels (probably BBC1 or ITV) and all of a sudden the picture went black and some strange footage came on. The best way I can describe it, is that it looked like the Earth from such a distance that you could see a decent amount of space around it. The picture appeared to be ever so slowly zooming, or perhaps moving forward, so the Earth was gradually becoming larger, however this was very slow. The picture itself seemed a bit grainy and looked 'old', like it may have been filmed a few decades prior. I guess you say it almost looked like old NASA footage, however I think it could have perhaps been animated to look that way. In a way I guess the footage itself wasn't that unusual, it was the way it suddenly took over the TV. I can't remember any sound, from what I remember it was just the image. My best guess is that is was on the TV for about 5-10 seconds then the regular programming resumed. I can't actually remember what was on the TV, or even whether it was programme or adverts. However it came on then resumed in such a way that it definitely felt like an interruption of the programming if that makes sense.

I remember at the time thinking 'oh that's odd' and asked my parents what they thought about what had happened, but this is truly the weird bit... they didn't have a clue what I was going on about. I hadn't looked at them when it was happening, but when I turned to look at them afterwards they were just a watching the TV as normal, not distracted by anything else. I asked them a few more questions but again they didn't have a clue, and I remember feeling so 'weirded out' by this that I just dropped the subject. I've never experienced anything similar since and have never been in a situation with others where my perception has been completely different to theirs.

To this day I have no idea what happened and I doubt I'll ever find out, particularly as I can't remember particular details such as the date. It's definitely not the most interesting experience I've had but in some ways I'd say it's the oddest, not because of the 'broadcast' itself, but the fact my parents apparently didn't see it. :confused:

I'm going to resurrect this thread to share one of my stories because it's similar enough to the topic. Unfortunately I can't remember the details very well so apologies if this is a bit sketchy.

Some years ago, I'd guess sometime between 2004-2006, I was watching the TV with my parents when I experienced an interrupted broadcast. From what I remember we were watching one of the main terrestrial channels (probably BBC1 or ITV) and all of a sudden the picture went black and some strange footage came on. The best way I can describe it, is that it looked like the Earth from such a distance that you could see a decent amount of space around it. The picture appeared to be ever so slowly zooming, or perhaps moving forward, so the Earth was gradually becoming larger, however this was very slow. The picture itself seemed a bit grainy and looked 'old', like it may have been filmed a few decades prior. I guess you say it almost looked like old NASA footage, however I think it could have perhaps been animated to look that way. In a way I guess the footage itself wasn't that unusual, it was the way it suddenly took over the TV. I can't remember any sound, from what I remember it was just the image. My best guess is that is was on the TV for about 5-10 seconds then the regular programming resumed. I can't actually remember what was on the TV, or even whether it was programme or adverts. However it came on then resumed in such a way that it definitely felt like an interruption of the programming if that makes sense.

I remember at the time thinking 'oh that's odd' and asked my parents what they thought about what had happened, but this is truly the weird bit... they didn't have a clue what I was going on about. I hadn't looked at them when it was happening, but when I turned to look at them afterwards they were just a watching the TV as normal, not distracted by anything else. I asked them a few more questions but again they didn't have a clue, and I remember feeling so 'weirded out' by this that I just dropped the subject. I've never experienced anything similar since and have never been in a situation with others where my perception has been completely different to theirs.

To this day I have no idea what happened and I doubt I'll ever find out, particularly as I can't remember particular details such as the date. It's definitely not the most interesting experience I've had but in some ways I'd say it's the oddest, not because of the 'broadcast' itself, but the fact my parents apparently didn't see it. :confused:
Have you seen the film 'They Live'?
Maybe you saw a subliminal message that your parents missed?

Have you seen the film 'They Live'?
Maybe you saw a subliminal message that your parents missed?

No I haven't Mythopoeika and after googling it i don't think I want to! :rollingw:
Interesting that you say that because I've been led to believe that I'd probably be very susceptible to subliminal messaging, however that experience (if it was as you say) would suggest otherwise...

Could it have been an even teasier version of something like this

Could it have been an even teasier version of something like this

Oh that's an interesting theory, however the graphics seem way off. I have wondered since whether it may have been a strange promo for a new show, but it just didn't come across like that. I wasn't able to link it to a programme at the time anyway. It's the aspect with my parents I find so odd tbh.

My parents are like that watching tv, all the time.
'Whats on?'
'Er, i don't know'
'But you're watching it!'
'Yeah but i don't know whats going on'.
:crazy:

I have t'wireless on, permanently tuned to R4. This is OK when I'm alone but Techy thinks you can just TALK over it, as if it's just background noise like pop music.

Oh that's an interesting theory, however the graphics seem way off. I have wondered since whether it may have been a strange promo for a new show, but it just didn't come across like that. I wasn't able to link it to a programme at the time anyway. It's the aspect with my parents I find so odd tbh.

Is there the possibility that your parents didn't find it odd because it was something they had seen before - like an ad or a trailer? So they didn't understand why you were going on about it? I remember my children being weirded out by things just because it was the first time they'd ever come across it (and must have thought I was either very brave or totally lacking, because I wasn't scared at all).

On the converse side, I remember being young and terrified of a lump in the ceiling of our living room. It was just where the electrics came down into the room and had been papered over, but nobody would tell me what it was! I've no idea why, presumably they thought I wouldn't be able to understand or something. But I couldn't even look at that lump without shuddering - and everyone else treated it as completely normal...

I have t'wireless on, permanently tuned to R4. This is OK when I'm alone but Techy thinks you can just TALK over it, as if it's just background noise like pop music.
I'm like Techy when 10am comes round.

Was that ever explained as a hoax and who did it ?
There has been no explanation, as far as I know. It's a definite hoax, yes.
My own theory (you heard it here first) is that Claude Vorilhon, aka Raël, is somehow responsible.
The broadcast begins with "This is the voice of Vrillon, a representative of the Ashtar Galactic Command, speaking to you..." - Vrillon/Vorilhon... could be.

Is there the possibility that your parents didn't find it odd because it was something they had seen before - like an ad or a trailer? So they didn't understand why you were going on about it? I remember my children being weirded out by things just because it was the first time they'd ever come across it (and must have thought I was either very brave or totally lacking, because I wasn't scared at all).

No - upon questioning them it became apparent they hadn't seen it at all. For them there hadn't been any interruption in the broadcast whatsoever and they seemed to be watching the TV as normal with a decent level of attention... :crazy: I'm tempted to ask my Mam about it to see whether she remembers the incident at all, although I very much doubt she will. Will report back if anything interesting comes up!

The movie Contact opens with a zooming out from Earth, out into deep space.

A relative of mine who was retired pottered all day, moving from room to room and garden fixing, tweaking, repairing and, well, pottering.

There were radios in the bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen, the living room and the garage, and each time he reached a new destination he'd tun one on (all tuned to Radio 4) so that he could listen as he moved.

It would get louder as the day went by.

Detached house or he would have driven the neighbours bonkers.

A relative of mine who was retired pottered all day, moving from room to room and garden fixing, tweaking, repairing and, well, pottering.

There were radios in the bedroom, the bathroom, the kitchen, the living room and the garage and each time he reached a new destination he'd tun one on (all tuned to Radio 4) so that he could listen as he moved.

It would get louder as the day went by.

Detached house or he would have driven the neighbours bonkers.

Don't know if it works on radios, but I've noticed that 2+ TVs are always slightly out of sync with each other. Having overlapping audios would drive me batty!

I think the builders on the house down the road are playing a similar game with Radio One.

Only the volume is just low enough that I find myself playing 'Name That Tune' all day. It stops in one place and then starts up again somewhere else in the building and further on in the ...well, I don't know if it's a 'song'. I'm not definite that it's Radio One either, but it definitely goes 'dur dur dur....durdurdur..twang twang'. Sigh.

There has been no explanation, as far as I know. It's a definite hoax, yes.
My own theory (you heard it here first) is that Claude Vorilhon, aka Raël, is somehow responsible.
The broadcast begins with "This is the voice of Vrillon, a representative of the Ashtar Galactic Command, speaking to you..." - Vrillon/Vorilhon... could be.
I wonder how did it ?

Never heard of him till you replied ;)
He's the leader of a strange UFO cult, which seems to be all over the world.
The timing is interesting, too. The broadcast was made a few years after he announced the foundation of his cult.

This isn't quite a phantom broadcast, but, me and my sister can both recall seeing a version of a regular advert for castrol gtx car oil in the 80s that suddenly ended with the oil can in the advert, revving its engine and driving off. We only ever saw that version once and never again. We both found it hilarious. Basically this but with it driving off.

Just came across this thought it might be of interest as it was mentioned toward the begining of the thread Alternative3 -

Back