• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
i'm not game to put a pic of myself as my avatar.

i don't want to cause all the women to go absolutely wild over my rugged good looks.

nor have the mass suicides when i spurn their advances, on my soul.

see, i am rather responsible, arn't i?

I put a pic of myself up recently and everyone focused on the non existant west highland terrier:laughing:

Plucky little devil that terrier - did he do all his own stunts?

Kath :)

I also use a picture of myself as an Avatar, this is me first thing in the morning before i put the make up on and look gorgeous.

this is me in "real life" (what ever that is? must be a incrediable fantasy written by someone unknown) :D

deleted

After reading all this I decided to change mine, well you can't hide in a brown paper bag forever can you? mines a pic of Frodo, my fish, who coincidently is available as a stunt goldfish or as set dressing for theatre, television or film work. he has experience and his portrayal of 'Susie' in the play Neighbour do, neighbour see, won critical acclaim!

Why have some of the previously animated avatars stopped being animated, e.g. Pete Younger's and mine?

But others, e.g. Cujo's, are ok?

Can I do anything to wind mine up again?

Heather.

:confused:

Its probably a memory/browser issue - I notice animated gifs sometimes don't start in Opera and richt clikcing on the image and reloading the image works.

Emps

heather71 said:
Why have some of the previously animated avatars stopped being animated, e.g. Pete Younger's and mine?

But others, e.g. Cujo's, are ok?

Can I do anything to wind mine up again?

Heather.

:confused:

if you are using internet explorer it is most probably due to the temporary internet files folder being full. empty this and the animated gifs should work again.

Custom Avatars gone!

It's bad karma, man! The custom avatars have just GONE, man, and they, like, worked untill a few hours ago...

Methinks there's a problem with the new hosts... Jack booted mayhap?

It does appear there have been problems - I'm unsure if it is an actual error, a change in the settings or the database table being cleared out. Its out of our hands (and Alistairs I believe).

but you can't upload new ones!

It did work, it doenst anymore. I have some LIMITED knowledge of how these things work, and I don't dobut its out of the mods and Al's hands. However, to lose THAT much data in a transfer is, where I work, a hide nailed to the wall offense not just a 'whoops!'. What's going on?

They must have web space! For us lesser mortals it seems that our data has just been erased!

It's still possible to redirect an avatar from an external site through the 'profile' feature.

There's a button missing, allowing one to upload a new avatar, though. I know the feature can be enabled.

Web-based Avatars

On your profile page, if you scroll to the very bottom, there's a bit called "Avatar control panel."

Within that, you can link to an off-site Avatar or choose Avatar from gallery. Type in the URL of your off-site Avatar in the provided blank box and voila!. You get your sense of identity back. :D

EDIT: Eeep! Sorry -- not meaning to impersonate Androman in any way -- was just gleeful at getting my own avatar back and had the profile page open when I saw the question. Apologies if I stepped on any toes.

The 'Profile' feature is in the group of features at the top of this page. The 'Avatar' feature is at the bottom of the 'Profile' page. You need to have the URL (website) address of an image to use as an avatar. It needs to be not more than, 80x80 pixels.

something like:

Link to off-site Avatar:
Enter the URL of the location containing the Avatar image you wish to link to.

(Example URL: http://sdp.bix/ibl.gif )

Two points...

1) We all had avatars that have now been deleted, without notice.

2) The apparently IS a feature that supports the upload of Avatars (otherwise the custom Avs would still be there) that has been disabled.

Look lets not give those peeps in charge any more hassle than they need, we should be encouraging them so they can hurry up and get the FTMB back to normal. I dont know about you but its rather lonely now at 0100 hours.

You just link to an image online with the URL, I only know how to do it cause I'm on another messageboard where its the only way to get a custom av! (you havent seen the weeping and dirging it took to get me to learn how :D )
I do it through photobucket, which makes it easy for an oldie like me as they give you the URL and image code etc. for the pic.

In terms of this message board software, you don't just 'lose' that much data that long after the migration.

And with due respect for those patiently explaining that you 'do it via URL'. Yes, I know you do... What I'm saying is, until yesterday, we didn't have to, it all 'just worked', now it doesn't and it wasn't a performance issue then and it doesn't seem any closer to going live now...

Back