Recovering policeman
Reaction score
And 3 hours of smelling Paltrows vagina is expressly not recommended :p

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
The old tradition continues. Due to recent political events, the Morris Men now do their thing in Blueface.

WICKER FLICKER Druids burn 30ft wicker man as part of ancient May Day ritual

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14827986/wicker-man-burnt-may-day-ritual/
For once, The Sun's usually high standards of journalism have slipped.

The "tradition" of Morris dancers wearing black face is not that old, and was never very widespread. Most Morris dancers did not blacken their faces even in "traditional times" — i.e. before it was revived as a hobby.

The small proportion of modern sides (teams, clubs, but never "troupes") who wear face paint have worn a variety of colours for many years. Only a few have worn black. I have been a Morris dancer since 1983 and have attended many events where there have been several teams performing and I have only encountered dancers with blackened faces a handful of times.

There is no "governing body". There are three separate associations of independent clubs. The three separate associations have however worked together on this issue.

The BLM movement has only brought additional urgency for an issue that had been under discussion for many years. Although Morris dancers did not wear black face in deliberate imitation or mockery of black people, they were becoming increasingly aware of the potential for genuine misunderstanding and offence.

Finally, only a tiny minority of people involved in the Morris strongly believe that it had pagan origins, and only a tiny minority of those profess any personal pagan beliefs.

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
For once, The Sun's usually high standards of journalism have slipped.

The "tradition" of Morris dancers wearing black face is not that old, and was never very widespread. Most Morris dancers did not blacken their faces even in "traditional times" — i.e. before it was revived as a hobby.

The small proportion of modern sides (teams, clubs, but never "troupes") who wear face paint have worn a variety of colours for many years. Only a few have worn black. I have been a Morris dancer since 1983 and have attended many events where there have been several teams performing and I have only encountered dancers with blackened faces a handful of times.

There is no "governing body". There are three separate associations of independent clubs. The three separate associations have however worked together on this issue.

The BLM movement has only brought additional urgency for an issue that had been under discussion for many years. Although Morris dancers did not wear black face in deliberate imitation or mockery of black people, they were becoming increasingly aware of the potential for genuine misunderstanding and offence.

Finally, only a tiny minority of people involved in the Morris strongly believe that it had pagan origins, and only a tiny minority of those profess any personal pagan beliefs.
I had a friend whos surname was 'Morris', he told be the name derived from 'moorish', the north African tribes that settled in southern Spain, i was under the impression that the 'morris dancers' derived their name from a similar source and guessed that the blsck face make up was somethimg to to with this, i may well be way off the mark one this.

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I had a friend whose surname was 'Morris', he told be the name derived from 'moorish', the north African tribes that settled in southern Spain, I was under the impression that the 'morris dancers' derived their name from a similar source and guessed that the black face make up was somethimg to to with this, I may well be way off the mark one this.
It is debatable at best.

One explanation is it comes from "Moorish", referring the black people who lived in north Africa.

One explanation is it comes from "Morisco": the Muslim population of Spain and Portugal. There are recognisable similarities to some of the dances from that part of the world.

One simple explanation is it comes from the Latin mos, moris, mores, (pronounced as two syllables) which means "custom".

It was typically spelled morys but sometimes morysk in early documents.

Other possible explanations are available.

However, we know that Morris dancing in one form or another was widespread throughout England and parts of Wales, with records going back to the 1600s or earlier. For example, six dancers and two musicians were arrested in Bradmore, Nottinghamshire, in 1618 for dancing on the sabbath. The way the record of the event was written suggested that Morris dancing was already a recognised and established thing rather than a new idea.

In the late 1500s or early 1600s, very few rural people in England or Wales would have encountered either Moors or Morescos (Moresci?) and most were probably unaware of their existence. Therefore the idea that it was deliberate imitation of Moors or Morescos seems implausible.

However, there are elements of the dance which could be interpreted as a parody of the courtly dances of the time, and some of the people who went to courtly dances would have had some experience of other races and cultures.

Also, a complete ignorance of other races has never stopped the English from having a clearly formed idea of what foreigners are like. A reference to the dances being "Moorish" may have been no more than an early expression of the same type of crude preconception that thinks all Americans are overweight and called Hank, or all Chinese are inscrutable and have names that make puns in English, or all French wear stripy T shirts and sell onions whilst smoking Gauloises and expounding existential philosophy.

Most Morris dancers who defend(ed) the use of black face colouring argued that it was a simple form of disguise.

Some promote the more tenuous argument that it was to do with scaring away evil spirits (much as every unexplained ancient artefact or monument was "ritual"). In some specific cases, it may be associated with the dances being performed by miners who would have had blackened faces because of their occupation.

ChasFink

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I guess the rest of us can still kiss chickens though so that's okay. :chuckle:
Actually, Min, that's probably true. Here in the U.S., poultry and egg farming are conducted in a fair amount of filth, which is countered by a sterilizing cleanup after slaughter/collecting. I understand that the rest of the world keeps its chickens in a cleaner environment. This is why American eggs are stored in the refrigerator: they are heavily washed before packaging, which removes a protective layer. In countries where eggs are kept at room temperature, they aren't washed this way because they're much cleaner to begin with.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Cheese photo leads to Liverpool drug dealer's downfall
A drug dealer was tracked down after sharing a photo of Stilton cheese.
Carl Stewart, 39, was identified through his fingerprints after police analysed the image he posted in an online chat.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-57226165

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
EDIT: Apologies, Bigphoot got this first,

Hot off the presses from Mid-Sussex.

Argument With Jacket

E2TpBFWWYAABwqk.jpeg

Last edited:

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score

Man jailed for wrapping bandages around his head to take driving theory tests for others​

A man who was taking driving theory tests for other people by wrapping a bandage around his head has been arrested after his scam was discovered by staff members...

...The court heard that he had attended four different test centres in the south of England where he had a variety of excuses for his ‘injuries’ such as falling off a ladder and being struck in the head while working on a building site.

Linkety link.