• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

Would most of those be bots booted off for bot-trolling or whatever the expression is?
Some of them may have been automated bots, but there's no way to tell for sure.

I can say with confidence that the number of banned automated bots during the current period (November 2018 to the present) is zero or vanishingly small, owing to more stringent defensive measures.

Go and count the announcements on the Nailed to a Tree thread:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/nailed-to-a-tree-the-warning-ban-log.23687/

We announce all bans for registered and active users. If a member joined, made at least one post and was subsequently banned, it'll be mentioned on that thread; if someone got through the registration gate but was subsequently found to be a baddie, we didn't trouble to name them.

'Technicals', duplicate or corrupted accounts that were removed, were similarly not announced

I started moderating here on 29 May 2016; the Nailed to a Tree thread is 99% reliable from that point until the present day. It's conceivable that something passed me by on a rare day away, but I doubt it.

Finally, and perhaps appropriately for a forum dedicated to forteana, there are 10 accounts designated as having been banned more than 30 years before the earliest incarnation of the forum was established.
I'm guessing those would be for the renegade time-traveller types?

Either that, or it may have something to do with Unix time settings.

It isn't a long thread to read.

Edit: and I've just removed my own double-post!
So people should read all the entries in a jokey thread before posting in case they duplicate one?
That sort of attitude is how we lose members. It's petty. Lighten up.

I've been over on Reddit recently and there are a lot of posters on there who do the 'oh, no, not THIS old thing again!' when someone starts a thread called, I dunno 'What do you love about living in the UK?' but for those of us who only go there occasionally, these threads are new and interesting. I guess repeat posts are fine for those who are just dipping in and out now and then.

Some of us read whole threads. Some of us just read posts from people we know, or Most Recent. Some of us just look at the pictures....

No big problem ...

Over in the Humour & Jokes thread certain parties re-post the same material every few months (sometimes every few weeks).
So what? It pops up somewhere, they laugh, they post it, we laugh too. It pops up again, they laugh once more and post it, we laugh again too. Repeating a joke isn't a crime.

Mrs Brown's Boys rehashes the same joke (I use the term loosely) every single week. I must admit, I've more than once posted a link or observation that's already been made earlier in a thread, and equally I've pointed this out when others have done so.

It happens.

I've been over on Reddit recently and there are a lot of posters on there who do the 'oh, no, not THIS old thing again!' when someone starts a thread called, I dunno 'What do you love about living in the UK?' but for those of us who only go there occasionally, these threads are new and interesting. I guess repeat posts are fine for those who are just dipping in and out now and then.

Some of us read whole threads. Some of us just read posts from people we know, or Most Recent. Some of us just look at the pictures....
Yup, and there are plenty of other websites to go to for one's reading/chatting/paranormal/whatever fix if people feel unwelcome or patronised.
This is what ruined b3ta: a clique took over who troll and ridicule new members. We are surely better than that, especially over a couple of feeble visual puns.

We've had new posters who've been picked on right away and left pretty sharpish. I would tell Rynner off for doing that.

The ethos here is about listening to people's own accounts of weirdness when they feel they absolutely can't tell anyone they know about what's happened to them. Rynner lost us members with his snitty comments. Pulling people up for reposting a spot of silliness is like that.

If I reposted a joke and was reminded that it had been seen before my reply would not be humorous.

Mrs Brown's Boys rehashes the same joke (I use the term loosely) every single week. I must admit, I've more than once posted a link or observation that's already been made earlier in a thread, and equally I've pointed this out when others have done so.

It happens.
Pointing out your own repetitions and reposts (as I often do) is reasonable. Pointing out others' is patronising. I wouldn't expect you to do that.

OK. I think we're all roughly on the same page now: what I will say is that on mainstream threads, if a link etc previously sparked a lengthy discussion it's totally justified to highlight this to prevent a several-page rehash, or if it contravenes posting guidelines, then it's necessary.

For throwaway stuff like this? Maybe not, unless of course it's the same joke being made every fifteen posts and getting very old ;) .

OK. I think we're all roughly on the same page now: what I will say is that on mainstream threads, if a link etc previously sparked a lengthy discussion it's totally justified to highlight this to prevent a several-page rehash, or if it contravenes posting guidelines, then it's necessary.

For throwaway stuff like this? Maybe not, unless of course it's the same joke being made every fifteen posts and getting very old ;) .
Well yup.
I'll often post something like 'We have a very interesting thread on this that you might like! :) ' rather than 'Oh no, not this again! :rolleyes:'

We encourage searching for old threads where other boards don't.

I am definitely repeating myself - and, yep, it's getting old...:)

I've been over on Reddit recently and there are a lot of posters on there who do the 'oh, no, not THIS old thing again!' when someone starts a thread called, I dunno 'What do you love about living in the UK?'
Based all the whinging some people do about taxes and Council houses and the NHS, not to mention the weather and creepy British media celebrities, it's impossible to see how could there EVER be multiple threads on Reddit called 'What do you love about living in the UK?' ! :hahazebs:

One reason Redditors might start a new thread on a subject that's been seen before is that threads used to be locked after a comparatively short time, a few months. So an older thread couldn't be added to as it can be here.

Something has changed because I'm now getting responses from young whippersnappers to comments I made years ago on the Sarcasm and Banter threads there.

Need to up my game! :chuckle:

Based all the whinging some people do about taxes and Council houses and the NHS, not to mention the weather and creepy British media celebrities, it's impossible to see how could there EVER be multiple threads on Reddit called 'What do you love about living in the UK?' ! :hahazebs:
It's also rather an alarming thread when you see the naivety of the average British Redditor. 'I've just bought a house - do I need insurance?' and 'my girlfriend wants to leave me, how do I get her to stay?'

I know a lot of them are very young, but....really?

It's also rather an alarming thread when you see the naivety of the average British Redditor. 'I've just bought a house - do I need insurance?' and 'my girlfriend wants to leave me, how do I get her to stay?'

I know a lot of them are very young, but....really?
It's almost as if they have nobody to talk to, who has more life experience.

So people should read all the entries in a jokey thread before posting in case they duplicate one?
That sort of attitude is how we lose members. It's petty. Lighten up.

I thought it was a mandatory requirement that the cartoons and other gags posted on the humour thread were on a 6-monthly cycle?

Other posters can sort this out capably enough with a spot of friendly ribbing. We don't need protecting from the Curse of Repetition.
Plus, not everyone keeps up with all the threads. They might enjoy a joke eight years after everyone else.
Happens to me a lot. :wink2:

Hold on, @Yithian and @EnolaGaia - also @stu neville - is this board now North Korea where dissent and discussion are made to go away?

No, but neither is it a place where tangents are permitted to derail threads.

The extended tangential discussion about repetitious postings has been moved to a more appropriate location - one dedicated to such website protocol and usage issues:

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/general-website-queries-2018-onward.66436/

(This and subsequent posts now moved to the General Website Queries thread - Yith)

Back