• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

General Website Queries: 2018 Onward

Whats with the robots on this site?

Screenshot_20210220-010736.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Checking us out in advance of their rebellion. Search engines searching so your results will show this forum on google and bing etc. Take your pick from those two answers.
I didnt k ow 'bing' was still a thing, or has it been let free and now just spends its days aimlessly gathering information that nobody is ever going to request?

I didnt k ow 'bing' was still a thing, or has it been let free and now just spends its days aimlessly gathering information that nobody is ever going to request?
Bing escaped and has gone feral and makes its living selling search results on the dark web. Bing is actually a search engine owned by Microsoft so Microsoft Edge has it automatically set as default search engine.

Bing escaped and has gone feral and makes its living selling search results on the dark web. Bing is actually a search engine owned by Microsoft so Microsoft Edge has it automatically set as default search engine.
Hmm wow does anyone use it still, i remember 'ask jeeves' too, what happenened to him, is he selling info on street corners for £10 bags of smack?

They're still going.

Oh, yes ... Ask is still operating as a service, but only as a front end for posing questions. They discontinued their own search engine operations and now rely on one or more third parties for the actual searching and management of search results. That's why there are no Ask robots / crawlers prowling the 'Net.

Oh, yes ... Ask is still operating as a service, but only as a front end for posing questions. They discontinued their own search engine operations and now rely on one or more third parties for the actual searching and management of search results. That's why there are no Ask robots / crawlers prowling the 'Net.
I guess what that is, is a metasearch engine.

Whats with the robots on this site? ...

One further note, in case you're wondering ...

The listing you illustrated is the running list of current visitors to our site. 'Guests' represent any party visiting the forum's publicly-accessible area. Robots represent a special sub-category of Guests limited to known bots and crawlers affiliated with known services. Any visitor entry displayed as a forum member represents a known / registered member logged in with valid credentials.

Summary statistics on the number of visitors at any given time, as well as a list of registered members currently visiting, are displayed on the forum's main / home page.

All these three categories of visitors can passively read publicly accessible content.* No one other than registered members may perform transactions with the forum (e.g., post new content). No one other than registered members may access certain features or content related to members themselves (e.g., your Profile).

* Some visitors are prevented from doing even this much because they've been specifically blocked.

Hmm wow does anyone use it still, i remember 'ask jeeves' too, what happenened to him, is he selling info on street corners for £10 bags of smack?

Pah! Youngsters today! I remember when Alta Vista was the best search engine (before the sites were called search engines), and all this here was just fields....

:omr:

Pah! Youngsters today! I remember when Alta Vista was the best search engine (before the sites were called search engines), and all this here was just fields....

Yep ... Alta Vista was by far the best search facility available during the first decade or so of the Web's proliferation.

Unfortunately, its richness in report results doomed it. The burden simply became too great as the Web kept growing.

Last edited:
I'm sure it is a simplification but I do remember when search-engines used to front-load random ads when you hit on them.

Google was probably not the first "search-engine" to realise that ads ought to be search-specific, just the first to make it very profitable.

It is a bit of a strain to think back to the days when the Web seemed a refuge from commerce; the collapse of the first bubble in 1999 just made the demons stronger.

I don't see many youngsters, today, look beyond page one of whatever Google serves them. :(

So hes selling info on s street corner for £10 bags of smack :hahazebs:
Last heard uttering ' mumble, mumble, google, mumble mumble, bastards, mumble, mumble, could have been a contender, mumble mumble...
Another member of us sad old bastards (if he actually existed of course).
mumble mumble effing Access mumble mumble effing Gates mumble mumble, could have been the greatest, mumble mumble
Will tell all other veterans of the software wars which bar to find us in (when one is open again!) . Currently third shop doorway on the left outside Central station.

Covid: Biden calls 500,000 death toll a 'heartbreaking milestone'

President Joe Biden has addressed the nation as the US passed the figure of 500,000 Covid-related deaths, the highest number of any country.

"As a nation, we can't accept such a cruel fate. We have to resist becoming numb to the sorrow," he said.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56159756

I've corrected a number of the links you have posted in the past few days.

Please look at the difference between what you posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-56159756

And what I have changed it to:

We need the latter: a direct link to the URL of the page with the text on.

See my recent post on this here:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/good-posting-practices.16430/page-18#post-2039908

I've corrected a number of the links you have posted in the past few days.

Please look at the difference between what you posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-56159756

And what I have changed it to:

We need the latter: a direct link to the URL of the page with the text on.

See my recent post on this here:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/good-posting-practices.16430/page-18#post-2039908
Thank you for pointing this out, i will endeavour to this in future, however, as you are a mod here you are aware that there is a private message function, specifically for person to person messages, i do not think this message needed to be posted on the message board, unless you were going for the public shaming angle? In future if you have a personal message for me, do it in a private message, thank you in advance

Thank you for pointing this out, i will endeavour to this in future, however, as you are a mod here you are aware that there is a private message function, specifically for person to person messages, i do not think this message needed to be posted on the message board, unless you were going for the public shaming angle? In future if you have a personal message for me, do it in a private message, thank you in advance

Moved to Website Issues.

It was a public information announcement.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Can someone tell me how to stop recieving email alerts, i have turned off all the options i can find but im still recieving them, this is what i have turned off so far

Screenshot_20210226-202948.png

Can someone tell me how to stop recieving email alerts, i have turned off all the options i can find but im still recieving them, this is what i have turned off so far

What are these notifications for? What do they say?

Disable both "Automatically watch ..." settings and see if that eliminates the excess notifications.

What are these notifications for? What do they say?

Disable both "Automatically watch ..." settings and see if that eliminates the excess notifications.
This is the latest email

Screenshot_20210226-212755.png

I dont understand why, if ive disabled email alerts im still getting them

OK, disabling the auto-watching is the first step.

The next step is to eliminate any / all threads or forums you'd already selected to Watch.

As Gordon has already noted, you can toggle the Watch / Unwatch button at the top of any thread you've elected to watch.

To get a listing of threads and / or forums you're currently watching:

- Click on the 'Forum' tab at the top of any webpage.
- Click on the 'Watched' link in the line of controls immediately below the tab.

This should give you a listing of all the things you're watching.

Go to the top of the thread, just the current page, and at the top right there should be a box marked unwatch, click that and see if that works.
Ok done that.
On another stranger note, i recieved an alert for a reaction to a private message that im almost 100% sure i didnt send, it was an odd message and not something i would normally do, i havent previously intetacted with this member in a pm and had no reason to, i looked at my posting history and its not listed on there, but the history on there is very patchy anyway, it all a bit strange

On another stranger note, i recieved an alert for a reaction to a private message that im almost 100% sure i didnt send, it was an odd message and not something i would normally do, i havent previously intetacted with this member in a pm and had no reason to, i looked at my posting history and its not listed on there, but the history on there is very patchy anyway, it all a bit strange

Copy the entire text of the email notification and PM it to me, and I'll take a look at it. But first, just to make sure something's 'off' ...

Did you check your history of posts (to the forum) or your Conversation (PM) history? Conversation transmittals are not included in your post history.

Copy the entire text of the email notification and PM it to me, and I'll take a look at it. But first, just to make sure something's 'off' ...

Did you check your history of posts (to the forum) or your Conversation (PM) history? Conversation transmittals are not included in your post history.
It was an alert on the site here are the notification and the message, the eeird thing is im pretty sure my phone was in my pocket at the time the message was sent

Screenshot_20210226-215736.jpg
Screenshot_20210226-215723.jpg

Here is the list of my posting history at the time the pm was sent

Screenshot_20210226-220014.jpg

Back