• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
No one has mentioned a dog barking so if she was taken it was likely someone the dog knew there must be other unofficial ways out of the field
as well, not that I think that’s what happened,
Alas not all dogs would bark. My poor old lurcher would probably wonder what new game was happening and do I need to run? In Circles? Oh yes, I'll do that. That will be fun.

Alas not all dogs would bark. My poor old lurcher would probably wonder what new game was happening and do I need to run? In Circles? Oh yes, I'll do that. That will be fun.
Our dear late Tripehound - half Boxer, half Staffie, half wit - responded to every challenge by running up and down and barking.
Worked for him.

Our lurcher, Jago, makes plenty of noise - whines, mumbles, huffs - until he's let off-lead for a run. Then he's concentrating on running.
Our pug, Milo, is always making some form of noise because of his muzzle shape. Sometimes it's hard to tell if he's barking or not.
Our Jack Russel cross, Eddie, only barks at other dogs.
And our much-missed Irish Wolfhound never barked or made noises; one time he growled - sent shivers up all of us - but that was at a roll of carpet in a darkened room!

Teal, being a typical terrier (aka a pain in the arse) will bark at everything. She's currently barking her head off because a neighbout is getting into their car twenty yards down the village. She can't even see him, she's upstairs with me. But she knows something is happening so she ought to tell me about it, in great, and loud, detail.

It's almost impossible to generalise about dogs. Some spaniels are over the top friendly to everyone who comes by and some aren't. Some bite most don't. I still think if Nicola went anywhere but in the river, the dog would have followed, and been found later wandering near where it last saw her.

Our lurcher, Jago, makes plenty of noise - whines, mumbles, huffs - until he's let off-lead for a run. Then he's concentrating on running.
Our pug, Milo, is always making some form of noise because of his muzzle shape. Sometimes it's hard to tell if he's barking or not.
Our Jack Russel cross, Eddie, only barks at other dogs.
And our much-missed Irish Wolfhound never barked or made noises; one time he growled - sent shivers up all of us - but that was at a roll of carpet in a darkened room!
Ours rarely barks but she did give a good telling off to a plastic Tesco bag once.

Years ago my house-mate had a springer spaniel that was nuts and stupid but very affectionate. If I took him out for a walk over the fields he would just run off to the horizon with his tongue flapping at his side, like some kind of guffawing idiot, and would just keep on running around and around and around despite repeated shouts for him to come back.
Happy days.

Very true. I’ve read on here how much Springer Spaniels love water. We’ve owned four Springers and not one of them would go in water.
The only Springer I've ever known really well hated water too. But I had a crossbreed, half Border Collie, who had to be restrained when anywhere near water as he'd jump into fast flowing rivers or climb into water troughs. If water was about, he was a menace.

The woman missing from Lancaster as now been found.
The search for Nicola still goes on with the police helicopter
searching the beach and river, CoastGuard are active today and
the RNLI inshore boat as been searching the river, mounted police
are here today.
There's noticeably more debris on the beach with tree trunks and lots
of other stuff coming down the river, maybe dislodged by searching
but nothing found as yet.
The click bate detectives are digging up the woods though activity as
gone down after the arrests.

The Daily Mail report that a road one mile from where Nichola was last seen has been sealed off by police.
At 1PM UK time.
There are a drone and helicopter above it.

They say that some walkers saw something there and called police.

Was a mile or two outside there about 11 am apart from a good few people
walking the opposite bank and the water level being high with quite a bit of
debris in it nothing seen.

It's Rawcliffe rd. that's the small rd that follows the river towards the sea on the right
of the village.
We have had a bit of rain in the last day or two and a high tide this morning so things
tend to get moved.

Last edited:
Vis is always bad in the Wyre due to silt and peaty run off, things tend to dig themselves
into the silt and then after rain can get dug out no matter how many times it was searched
luck would play a big part.

Sad news. All of us, including me, who expressed scepticism about her being in the river, and came up with elaborate alterative theories should pause and reflect.

As a Fortean subject, it has been interesting, with much to discuss. It is now "simply" a human tragedy, and the family deserves to be left alone to grieve.

As I said previously in this thread; Occam's razor.

There will, of course, be the speculation about how she ended up in the river (accident or otherwise), however for now the family should be left to grieve, and the police to think about quite how badly they've handled the comms on this case.

Via Sky News:

Police confirm body found in river is Nicola Bulley's​

Giving a statement outside police headquarters, Assistant Chief Constable Peter Lawson has confirmed it was Nicola Bulley's body found in the river yesterday.
The family has been informed and is "devastated", he says.
He acknowledges it is "not the outcome we would have wanted" but thanks all those who have helped the investigation.
This thread will remain closed for the time being. Speculation won't help.

As things have moved on, we're reopening the thread. Please try to keep speculation to a minimum, still.
An article on the BBC website today indicates that HM Coroner has instructed Lancashire Police to conduct further searches in the Wyre.

Nicola Bulley: Police divers carry out work for coroner in River Wyre.
Police divers have returned to the River Wyre to carry out work close to where Nicola Bulley's body was found.
(...) Lancashire Police said it was doing work "on the direction of HM Coroner".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-65238743

Sans speculation - is this common practice or likely as a result of the Coroner wanting something checked post mortem?

Back