• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. L

A Haunted Police Station- for a change!

Readers will forgive me- I'm posting in my partners account, but I thought I would relate another strange tale, following my experience as a young student with a haunted hospital. Some time later, for better or worse, I ended up as a regular PC in a large police force which shall remain...
  2. L

A spectral tea break in a haunted hospital

Back in 1997 I was a 21 year old college student studying Art and Design at a well known college in the North of England. As part of our studies, our year had to organize an exhibition, to demonstrate we had the practical skills and knowledge to do so in the real world. Eventually we managed...
  3. L

feigning vomiting to put off potential attackers

simply put you should not be hanging around a potentially violent situation, you should be trying to get out of there! If the situation has gone horribly wrong and escpape is not an option, mjay be worth a go, but equally it could anger your attacker into being more violent Its not evidenced...
  4. L

Aha! may closer to the source Well this is kicking off a mini "it was not me, who to blame?" storm at work. A google shows this bit of advise appears in NHS staff safety documents, and may have originated with the Suzie Lamplugh trust, who are vague about the source. They basically say they...
  5. L

pony tails re the interesting story concerning the pony tail, just like to point out that of course some physical aspects are gonna make you more of a potential victim (being a small woman for one, but theres not much one can do about that, apart from buy some stilts). But the fact is focus...
  6. L

Yesterday, 3rd August 2011 during our team meeting, we went through the lone workers risk assessment. One of the key pieces of advice was when aggressively confronted, to feign vomiting, as potential attackers are put off by vomit. I believe it was actually actually said "rapists don't like...
  7. L

Kooky Cathay: Forteana From China

In the Christmas issue of Private Eye (2007), in the Funny old world section, there was a story about hairbands made from condoms. the possible UL bit of the story was the plastic used to make the hair bands came from used condoms, and the temperature the condoms were recycled at was too low...
  8. L

Condoms: Odd Innovations & Alternative Uses

In the Christmas issue of Private Eye (2007), in the Funny old world section, there was a story about hairbands made from condoms. the possible UL bit of the story was the plastic used to make the hair bands came from used condoms, and the temperature the condoms were recycled at was too low...
  9. L

Collecting Crisp Packets, Bottle Tops, Etc., For Charity

OMG a UL has its own newsletter! how do i post the bottletop newsletter? It only takes the text when i cut and paste, and it must be seen to be believed. :lol:
  10. L

OMG a UL has its own newsletter! how do i post the bottletop newsletter? It only takes the text when i cut and paste, and it must be seen to be believed. :lol:
  11. L

collecting milk bottle tops for charity Following a request from a colleague asking staff to save milk bottle tops for charity, i decided to find out more. Imagine my surprise when i went online and found a recycling company that does actually collect milk bottle tops for charitable...
  12. L

FOAF story come true?

I have a small theory as to how some UL may start. Compulsive liars! We have one at my work, it seems i'm the one of the few who fully aware she talks absolute bollocks (I bothered to check up on some of what she was saying, all total nonsense). The thing is, what she says is believable. I...
  13. L

Pathological Or Compulsive Lying

I have a small theory as to how some UL may start. Compulsive liars! We have one at my work, it seems i'm the one of the few who fully aware she talks absolute bollocks (I bothered to check up on some of what she was saying, all total nonsense). The thing is, what she says is believable. I...
  14. L

Ongoing experiment to see if an UL actually works...

barfing pumkin, could you elaborate on the UL regarding colds and cancer? Never heard that one! I too eat loads of garlic and onions and still get my seasonal colds at the end of autumn and end of spring! Probably have to eat organic ones or something.
  15. L

Ongoing experiment to see if an UL actually works...

i have been (mis?)informed that an onion cut in half left in ones bedroom whilst sleeping can speed the cure of/prevent a cold! Something to do with onions being anti-bacterial and anti-viral. :?
  16. L

drug rape UL

i m one of those people who tends to be quite direct and not realise that it offends some people. Since having to change tact quite severely due to my job, it seems people are more open to careful persuasion rather than facts. (not so good at keeping the front up outside of work mind!) it...
  17. L

Dreams That Have Come True

interesting post redhead666. I occasionally have dreams that contain some element of the future in them. Most recently i dreamed i was scratching scratchcards with my dead grandfather. I played two the next day, and won £13 on one (lost on the other), then played one tha day after, and won £6...
  18. L

Rats! Rats! Rats!

From now on, my maglite goes everywhere with me. :)
  19. L

Rats! Rats! Rats!

in responce to nov 05 FTs request in mythchasers, it seems rats can get to about 50cm big. My partner was walking to work from Leeds station via an underpass near TGI Fridays, when he saw six of the biggest rats he has ever seen. Needless to say he ran away. He saw the rats from the path he...
  20. L

A Code To Speed Up Pedestrian Crossing Lights

thanks for the feedback, i can merrily take the mickey now
  21. L

drug rape UL

kathy-pike, thankfully my friend who passe the legend onto me knew of my interest in forteana, hence why she was asking me in the first place! It really annoys me that people cannot accept that their version of reality may have been misinformed. Personally I like finding out information that...
  22. L

drug rape UL

FYI whisly flicking through some old FT issues, I found the exact same legend mentioned (progesterex ), only it was circulating in north America! Its fascinating to me how this legend has spread to northern england in 2005, I wonder where it was in the meantime? It was an issue...
  23. L

A Code To Speed Up Pedestrian Crossing Lights

My partner is insistant that if you press the button at a pedestrian crossing in a certain sequence, the lights will change straight away. He believes he was told this at some boy scout thing when he was a kid, and has believed it ever since (though it has never worked once when i've been...
  24. L

Covert Sign Codes (Hobos, Tramps, Gypsies, Criminals, etc.)

OAP s as repeat targets Criminals will sell information of vulnerable people to other crims. For example, crim will fix drive way, guttering etc for cash in hand. If victim seems to have a decent amount of cash at hand, their info can be sold or traded with other crims. this information was...
  25. L

Detoxification (Detox) Diets

it never ceases to amaze me what lenghs people will go to avoid even mild exercise. Eat sensibly and get off your arse. Simple and cheap (hence its lack of popularity im sure).
  26. L

Cats Stolen To Make Gloves / For The Fur Trade?

it could have been rabbit fur, however, there does seem to be a large amount of stray cats in Greece, still remains a possibility!
  27. L

Cats Stolen To Make Gloves / For The Fur Trade?

i think the cat fur thing may be true up to a point. My gran brought me back a big furry cat keyring from her holiday in Greece (you say you like cats and you get inundated with cat stuff). The fur felt way too real, it was also white and ginger. No one has given me any cat tat that had fur that...
  28. L

drug rape UL

glad of the confirmation that there is no one off sterilizing drug, i have no medical knowledge, but it sounded like trash to me. Do you think someone may get a sexual kick off starting a poison e-mail like this? For some reason there seems to be an undercurrent of dislike towards women...
  29. L

drug rape UL

This has all the classic marks of a UL to me. What do you think? I recieved it from a friend via e mail who wanted to check if it was genuine. i said no and i stand by my statement! "Sorry if you've already had this but please pass it on anyway A woman at a nightclub on Saturday night...
  30. L

Strange Experience with BBC3 (Odd Static Image)

For some reason my digi box always freezes on ABC1 if its going to freeze. Perhaps its annoyed the programmes finish at six. The frozen image is there when a program should be on, i have to swith the blasted box off and on to get it to work again. Digi tv is a con.
  31. L

My Fifteen Minutes Of Enlightenment

Had a similar experience to yours sundog, when i was younger and going through the worst time of my life. I do not want to go into details as it was very personal. I feel my life has been more positive since then, the experience left me quite optimistic. I have found following my intuition and...
  32. L

French Rape Gangs

The info i have read about it does not blame muslims at all. It a miss representation of the french working class dynamic. i see it as more of a problem to do with gang culture, gangs are often divided along the lines of race, so it easy for some media orgs to manipulate this. Does not mean...
  33. L

Do you know of any ULs involving children?

Have got the one regarding LSD laced tattoos. I need to find some ULs that either portray children as evil monsters, or innocent victims, got a project to do about the medias portrayal of children and i thought a good urban legend or two would help get the point across. Thanks for any...
  34. L

French Rape Gangs

yes gang rape by young men is marginally on the increase. in France they are knowm as 'Tournements' (sic im sure!). They are also on the increase in Britain as well. The aggressors are normally young men under the age of 20. The victims also tend to be teenaged girls. There are statistics on...
  35. L

The Doll That Crawled

hi Treefox, well that was disturbing!i notice your event also occured on more than one occasion- not just one off wierdness with moving dolls it seems! do you have any thought s on what was happening? eg possession, over active childhod mind etc...?
  36. L

'Winged' Cats (Feline Cutaneous Asthenia)

Cats with wings page 24 of September 2004s 'Your Cat' Magazine has a letter about cats with wings. Seeing as how I do not own a scanner or whatever heres a typed extract from the letter; (cat dies) '... it was all very peaceful but not what i had planned for him. That evening I was...
  37. L

Fortean Dinner Party, themes

hi soong, found ur thread! for your time travel party how about limiting it to potential past and future lives? It would be interesting to see who your guests associate themselves with! You d probably end up with a whole load of Mary Queen of scots as opposed to poor starving peasants tho:D
  38. L

Name Games

What where the other two sets of names? I have a way of 'renaming' people, it just sometimes feels like someones rightful name is not the one they where christened with! A good example is a guy i knew called Matt who I was sure was really called Will! Matt was just not his name! (To me...
  39. L

Old Lady Found Dead Covered In Green Slime

Thanx! I think I have proved my total incompetence with computers, i am glad this whole thing is anonimous cos i am so embarrased for not working that one out :cross eye
  40. L

whats an IHTM? how do i get there? I really know nothing about computers. sorry.
  41. L

there was a letter to FT from a police officer regarding a call he had responded to where he had found an old lady dead, covered in green slime. I have looked through my back issues but i cannot find the original letter ( i am not v organised!), though it was in a 2003 issue. Has there been...
  42. L

Odd News: John Cravens Newsround & Other Sources

when i was about nine(roughly 1888/89). i saw an edition of john cravens newsround which featured some bizarre disaster. When i asked my friend the next day if they had seen it- no one had, or had even heard of the odd disaster. Sadly i cannot remember what the disaster was. Has anything...
  43. L

What Is It About Occultists & Holy Island?

to have had to live through the 70s and the 80s.. eeugh.. There occasionally seems to be a revival in oddness every few years or so , just think if my dad had had the same experience in the 90s, we could have been in some wierd UFO cult :) no one seems to have had any wierd experience on...
  44. L

Bogus Social Workers

you can imagine me and my bros horror when we were watching the local news one day in the early 90s and a photofit of a supposed bogus social worker appeared. It was exactly (down to the descripion of the distinctive accent) the same as our mum! Needless to say she has never faked being a social...
  45. L

Drug-Laced Candy / Sweets

you can get lollys with cannabis in them, i ve had one and it was quite tasty to be honest. My mates dad brings them back for her when he holidays in holland. The sweets with drugs in being sold to school kids is a total urban legend. At work a colleague raised it as a problem, and i had to...
  46. L

The Doll That Crawled

we know belief is a powerful thing, could a childs unconditional belief in something some how cause it to real? What is real anyway? Just seems a lot of wierd stuff happens when people are young and beliefs are not fully formed.
  47. L

i myself am sure the 'devil' has better things to do than possess people! Some people just mad, others bad. Homo Aves, you did get me wondering tho, where would Satan go on his hols? I mean would he go somewhere really cold? Just for a change?
  48. L

after speaking to one of my bros he said no it was not just the tide, my dad was seeing wierd lights hovering etc.. He know thinks earth lights are demons conversing....(honestly, i can barely believe some of the stuff as well). I d put it down to my dad being a bit mad if other people had...
  49. L

Strange Client

I wish there was more to it, but i do think your old lady may have been a little bit mad. We used to have an old lady with alzeimers ring up when i worked at the Halifax bank (or Helltrax bank of satan me and my ex colleage call it) saying people were stealing her money. The halifax being the...
  50. L

Fred & Rosemary West

I agree, Satanists do not have any higher need for violence than the rest ofus. Some people might use their twisted version of what they believe Satanism to be in order to justify their selfish acts, but thats all it is, their justification.
Back