• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Well, it's not really me. MY ears are MUCH bigger! :D

Frobush said:
Try this thread.

And the mods will probably move your thread to 'Website Issues'.

Yep.

patmlaw (or any other members for that matter) if you have any other burning questions about avatars etc. post them up here for the time being or feel free to pm me.

I'll do a bit of a merge with the existing Avatar threads later.

I would like to change my signature but any apostrophes keep getting changed into exclamation marks (is this a feature of the new, improved board..? :?) - can anyone please help?

WhistlingJack said:
I would like to change my signature but any apostrophes keep getting changed into exclamation marks (is this a feature of the new, improved board..? :?) - can anyone please help?

I'm a bit stumped. Can you show me what you were trying to do?

Hello, Emps

I was trying to revert back to my old signature of 'I Was Kaspar Hauser's Batman' but the apostrophe keeps being changed to a quotation* mark, ie 'I Was Kaspar Hauser"s Batman'.

* My mistake...

EDIT: It seems that two apostrophes (as opposed to a singular quotation mark) were showing in my profile preview and deleting one of them did the trick ;)

That was happening to me too for a while. Every time I viewed my sig another apostrophe would appear. They deleted easily enough but they did seem to multiply every time you looked.

Mighty_Emperor said:
WhistlingJack said:
I would like to change my signature but any apostrophes keep getting changed into exclamation marks (is this a feature of the new, improved board..? - can anyone please help?

I'm a bit stumped. Can you show me what you were trying to do?
Funnily enough, Emps, if you look at your own signature, the apostrophes have doubled there, too.
I''ve seen things...
I've tried to use them in my sig as well, but gave up after they spontaneously multiplied!

I've noticed that the double apostrophes only seem to happen if you use the preview function when you check your signature.

Peripart said:
Funnily enough, Emps, if you look at your own signature, the apostrophes have doubled there, too.
I''ve seen things...
I've tried to use them in my sig as well, but gave up after they spontaneously multiplied!

Well goddamn.

I tried escaping the single quotes and ended up with this:

I\\''ve seen things you people wouldn\\''t believe... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Roy Batty

Q is right:

TheQuixote said:
I've noticed that the double apostrophes only seem to happen if you use the preview function when you check your signature.

Without previewing it went through fine.

Re theyithian's sig:
When Torquay-born Peter Cook and his Oxbridge friends opened their smash-hit show Beyond the Fringe at a London Theatre in 1961 it featured a sketch in which a wartime brass hat told a pilot: "Perkins, we need a futile gesture to raise the whole tone of the war. Pop over to Bremen and don't come back."

Night after night delighted audiences were rocked with laughter. Many felt they had witnessed something fresh, audacious and above all very funny. But not everyone who saw the launch of the satire boom felt the same.

For among the theatre-goers were men who less than 20 years earlier had put their lives on the line time and again to carry out missions which the nation's leaders said were crucial to its very survival. Of 125,000 airmen who passed through Bomber Command, more than 55,000 were killed.

Twenty-one of them were called Perkins, the first of whom was Reginald Perkins, of 54 Squadron, who was killed in November 1940 when his Hampden exploded in the air and crashed on the outskirts of Berlin. The last was Robert Perkins, of 49 Squadron, who perished with the rest of his Lancaster crew while bombing the Lutzkendorff oil refinery in April 1945.

As far as author Patrick Bishop is aware, no Perkins died bombing Bremen - but one might well have done, for between May 1940 and the end of the war it was attacked 70 times. As a result more than 575 aircrew were killed - and so too were 3,562 residents.
WMN

Please be reminded that the size limit for avatars is 80x80 pixels so anyone with a pic exceeding those dimensions, please re-size it - if that presents a problem, PM me for help ;)

Also, it would be considerate if text signatures could be re-sized using the 'small' tags as the more lengthy quotes can sometimes end up being longer than the actual posts themselves. I'm re-sizing sigs myself at the moment but if there are any problems, you'll receive a PM.

Don't you alter my personal profile settings again.

Request alterations and I will make them.

Woo!

No reaction!

F*ck it then! MODs - please feel free to alter my profile as you see fit! Make me a 16 year old girl whom spends her time rubbing bits of rubberised cloth in a sunken well of teddy eels!

(An apology would have been nice!)

Frobush said:
F*ck it then! MODs - please feel free to alter my profile as you see fit! Make me a 16 year old girl whom spends her time rubbing bits of rubberised cloth in a sunken well of teddy eels!

Nice imagery...

Frobush: we only alter peoples' profiles if there is an issue with either an avatar or sig - as far as telling us not to alter your profile again, well I'm sorry but if you upload anything that we feel necessary to remove or change (for whatever reason, be it an oversize avatar or a signature), then yes, we will do it.

In this case, an announcement was made rather than going through the process of sending multiple pm's (which would have taken a great deal of time).

If you still have an issue with this, then I can only suggest that you take it up with Alistair.

TheQuixote said:
...as far as telling us not to alter your profile again, well I'm sorry but if you upload anything that we feel necessary to remove or change (for whatever reason, be it an oversize avatar or a signature), then yes, we will do it.

In this case, an announcement was made rather than going through the process of sending multiple pm's (which would have taken a great deal of time).

You make it sound like my sig and avatar broke the rules and needed altering!

Well, altering what seems to me to be hundreds of sigs is much more trouble than not altering any of them. And certainly more hassle than sending a simple PM. What would you do if, by adding the size TAGs to my sig, they had forced it over the character limit? Edit my words? That doesn't seem right to me.

And having three lines of text is hardly breaking anybodies eyeballs. And I think people have the option of switching off all the sigs and avatars - though that might be just wishful thinking on my part - my confused vision feasting upon times gone by and drooling over an actual working board with useful features. (You know things are bad when you have to 'block copy' your post before posting because it'll probably get lost in the post and you'll have to re-post or, worse, re-type your post.)

I wouldn't trouble Ali with something so trivial (even smaller when edited by the MODs) as this (the altering of my profile). It is true that some people do over-do the sigs (MODs too!) - but I have NEVER EVER had a problem with 'this'. And having to go in and physically change URLs in people's posts, for whatever reason, must just be a real time wasting pain (and still they post pics too big).

Anyway. If you want something altering in my 'profile' then ask and we'll discuss. You can, of course, technically do whatever you want. I'm just letting you know that you can't.

And you're no fun anymore! :shock:

Frobush said:

If I need to, I will.

If you read the original post, you'll see I did request that members make the necessary adjustments themselves (and I offered help if needed) - or would you rather I'd PM'd every member to ask if they wouldn't mind not having needlessly-large avatars and signatures? Sorry, that's both impractical with regard to the number of PMs needed (and those which would go unanswered as some members haven't been on the boards for years) and unfair to those who consent, when others have no intention of doing so.

What would you do if, by adding the size TAGs to my sig, they had forced it over the character limit? Edit my words? That doesn't seem right to me.

A similar situation precipitated this whole thing. In that particular case, after it proved impossible to reduce the size of the text for the reason you outlined, a PM was sent and a reply is awaited - if none is forthcoming, I suppose the sig will be removed.

And having three lines of text is hardly stretching anyone's eyeballs.

I agree - six lines of full-sized text is probably too much, however (consider if an image sig took up the equivalent amount of room). As things are, if I come across any sigs which can be reasonably reduced, I'll continue to do so.

It is true that some people do over-do the sigs (MODs too!)

I know they do and I've only ever attempted to be fair and even-handed about this.

WhistlingJack said:
Frobush said:

If I need to, I will.

Well you didn't need to and you did. I've been offline for nearly a week and hadn't seen your request.

Justify your changes to my profile (I've changed them back to what they were) and I'll let you off the hook.

WhistlingJack said:
If you read the original post, you'll see I did request that members make the necessary adjustments themselves (and I offered help if needed) - or would you rather I'd PM'd every member to ask if they wouldn't mind not having needlessly-large avatars and signatures? Sorry, that's both impractical with regard to the number of PMs needed (and those which would go unanswered as some members haven't been on the boards for years) and unfair to those who consent, when others have no intention of doing so.

This has NEVER EVER been a issue before. Like the new job do you?

What would you do if, by adding the size TAGs to my sig, they had forced it over the character limit? Edit my words? That doesn't seem right to me.

WhistlingJack said:
A similar situation precipitated this whole thing. In that particular case, after it proved impossible to reduce the size of the text for the reason you outlined, a PM was sent and a reply is awaited - if none is forthcoming, I suppose the sig will be removed.

Fair enough. I'm not previliged with that kind of information.

And having three lines of text is hardly stretching anyone's eyeballs.

WhistlingJack said:
I agree - six lines of full-sized text is probably too much, however (consider if an image sig took up the equivalent amount of room). As things are, if I come across any sigs which can be reasonably reduced, I'll continue to do so.

Again. You are making out that I've been a bad boy! And that isn't the case! And you make it sound like such an important part of your job! Don't waste your time. Sorry - I find petty attitudes tickle me! But carry on. Make the world a better place!

And I said three lines of text and not the 21 lines you misquoted me as saying.

Look. This is so silly. Do whatever you want. Have fun. I'm busy. I love you all.

I'll attempt to explain this as clearly as I possibly can: -

In spite of there being a clearly-stated 80x80 pixel limit for avatars, some members are disregarding it, whether deliberately or accidentally. I don't really want to mess about with people's offline links in profiles unless I have to, so I reminded people of the permitted dimensions and requested that they be kept to.

There doesn't seem to be a clearly-defined limit for signatures but outsized image sigs have been reduced in the past and it's clear that some sigs are ridiculously big when in full-size text. In an effort to be fair and even-handed, all text sigs are being reduced as and when I come across them.

Frobush said:

What?

WhistlingJack said:
I'll attempt to explain this as clearly as I possibly can: -

In spite of there being a clearly-stated 80x80 pixel limit for avatars, some members are disregarding it, whether deliberately or accidentally. I don't really want to mess about with people's offline links in profiles unless I have to, so I reminded people of the permitted dimensions and requested that they be kept to.

Don't you dare patronise me. Once again you lot are implying that I have broken the board rules. My avatar is well within the size limits - it was a pain for me to do and required quite a considerable amount for my time and effort to do. But did it I did. Because I felt it was worth it at the time. Now I'm not so sure.

WhistlingJack said:
There doesn't seem to be a clearly-defined limit for signatures but outsized image sigs have been reduced in the past and it's clear that some sigs are ridiculously big when in full-size text. In an effort to be fair and even-handed, all text sigs are being reduced as and when I come across them.

Once again. Implying that I have broken some rule. And I haven't.

Frobush said:

WhistlingJack said:

Pardon?

It was a joke. I said 3. You mis-quoted 6 (we could argue all day over whether a space is text or not) so, just for fun, I mis-quoted you in return. You can change my text and put extra words into my mouth! What fun you must be having!

Justify your changes to my profile and I will let you off the hook.

And stop wasting your time on me mate. Pick on someone other than me - 'cos I just might be insane enough to not hold back.

Peace! :D

Something tells me I'm about to get another warning for flamming.

Are you offering? (If so, how much for a single - and I expect room service at all hours! And NO GOLF CLUBS!)

Interesting... this just goes on and on and on. Absolutely ridiculous.

Your avatar:

4t9ngh5.jpg

Back