• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
No problem. Whatever it was, it was playing merry hell with my little monitor, so I'm delighted that it's back to normal now!

Peripart said:
No problem. Whatever it was, it was playing merry hell with my little monitor, so I'm delighted that it's back to normal now!

Yeah, I thought my browser was messing something up and didn't realize what was going on. Glad everything is back to normal.

I get the same queasy feeling from BlackRiverFalls current avatar as I do when looking at those pictures of the sub-standard athletes' accommodation at the Delhi Commonwealth Games... :eek!!!!:

I link to an avatar from a "free avatar" site - http://www.avatardb.com

It shows up fine when I first set it in the profile. But then, when I come back later, all I see is white text saying "avatar". When I go in to edit my avatar setting in the profile, it doesn't show the link, but when I highlight the field, the URL is still there. (Could that be my browser caching the field value?)

Is this some problem because I am being a bad person and hot-linking ?

Do we have a FAQ with best practices avatar-wise?

Hmmm :?

Your avatar isn't showing in either FF or Chrome so my best guess would be the site hosting the avatar hasn't got enough bandwidth - I'm not aware of this board blocking hot-linking, either.

My only suggestion would be to put it onto somewhere like Photobucket and use that link.

Yes, we all known that Ramon has a box full of frogs....

I'm stuck with the bellydancing snail. There're complaints if I change it. :lol:

I'm now getting the same 'big golden frog in a box' replacement for avatars from both Quake and Ramon. The message on the image reads: domain unregistered. To view, register at bit.ly/imageshack-domain.

Is this a problem at my end, or theirs? It's distorting the display of all the threads they post on (quite a few) as it is much larger than a normal avatar.

I don't have a problem with Quake's avatar, but I don't think I've ever been able to see Ramon's - all I get is the word 'avatar' :?

You see that big, gold frog in a box? That's you (and Quake), that is:

this-1.jpg

Edit: 'in an ice-cube', perhaps?

No.

But there could be one hiding behind your giant-frog-(non)-avatar along with most of the Chinese army.

As Forteans we must entertain at least the possibility. ;)

theyithian said:
I'm now getting the same 'big golden frog in a box' replacement for avatars from both Quake and Ramon. The message on the image reads: domain unregistered. To view, register at bit.ly/imageshack-domain.

Is this a problem at my end, or theirs? It's distorting the display of all the threads they post on (quite a few) as it is much larger than a normal avatar.

You're abroad, aren't you? I think Imageshack has recently changed its policy and doesn't allow its images to be viewed in certain countries, hence it defaulting to the golden frog...cube...thing.

I didn't know that - you could be on to something.

A bit silly, though, isn't it? The Internet (well, the WWW) is kind of global, by definition.

theyithian said:
I didn't know that - you could be on to something.

A bit silly, though, isn't it? The Internet (well, the WWW) is kind of global, by definition.

Perhaps Kim is sabotaging you? He may even own ImageShack.

My avatar seems to have disappeared... and uploading another doesn't work. Thoughts?

Even though your av seems to be gone, you may need to delete it before you can upload a new one.

Quake42 said:
My avatar seems to have disappeared... and uploading another doesn't work. Thoughts?

There isn't a link to an off-site avatar in your admin profile - PM it to me and I'll see what I can do.

Please could some kind soul remind me how I can change my 'status' label?
My 'status' at the moment is 'Technohippy', a label I put in over 10 years ago.

I can't for the life of me find out how to change it.

Thanks to whoever can help.

Mythopoeika said:

I require similar assistance.

Nothing wrong with being a Technohippy: they're neither petty or conservative!

ramonmercado said:
Mythopoeika said:

I require similar assistance.

Nothing wrong with being a Technohippy: they're neither petty or conservative!

Thanks, Ramon. :lol:

I only ever put in 'Technohippy' because I work with computers and at the time I had extremely long hair.

Mythopoeika said:

click on profile (at the top next to messages), then profile again, then custom title/signature

Thanks - I saw that earlier, but it doesn't seem to contain my current custom title.
I'll try it anyway.

Just tried it. Nah, 'Technohippy' is still there.

Back