• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

I believe you caught a photo of another person. Looks like they're hold a camera or a cell phone.
The white line looks like it came from another light source (flash light, cell phone flash light) and due to the long exposure on the camera taking the photo it appears as a line. In essence, light painting.

I believe you caught a photo of another person. Looks like they're hold a camera or a cell phone.
The white line looks like it came from another light source (flash light, cell phone flash light) and due to the long exposure on the camera taking the photo it appears as a line. In essence, light painting.

I have the same first impressions ... The figure might be a reflection (perhaps of this photo's photographer or someone else nearby). It definitely seems to be someone holding a cellphone or camera. The white line is the typical tracing from a bright light in (relative) motion during the exposure. I'm not sure whether this is the result of a double exposure.

The camera is a nikon 3200 set on auto, and thats as technical as i get, my friend was shooting lots of pics randomly then my best friend would check them for anomalies, this was the only one that had something unusual.

The picture was taken on the top floor of the jack the ripper museum, the room has been done up to look (roughly) like the bedroom off Mary Jane Kelly.

this may be why i can easily see a female face with a bonnet on her head in the top right corner, and a hand reaching out, with only 3 fingers visible, no mobile for me.

I think camera shake is the most sensible suggestion for the line, but the face i think is more of a trick of the light then a real person. i am about to send the picture to the technical officer of the ghost club for a professional opinion, but i doubt it will differ much from whats been said here....apart from aliens n batman ofc.

Is this the room? ...

1613726_orig.jpg

Image URL: http://www.jacktherippermuseum.com/uploads/1/0/3/5/10350135/1613726_orig.jpg

I've taken the pic you posted and tweaked it in a graphics program (pumped up the exposure, twiddled with contrast, etc.). The result is blurry, but I'm seeing what appears to be the result of multiple exposures, with the bed's upright metal end(s?) being replicated one or more times.

nazghostpic.jpg

At first I thought the lighter patch at top center was the window in the far wall, but the lines I can make out don't match the thick crossbars of the window in the photo above. Furthermore, the most clearly visible bed-end is cocked at a quite different angle from the possible window - meaning either it's not the window or it's the window and there are multiple exposures from different camera angles.

Was the camera sitting on a tripod or other mount? The blurry mess I'm seeing in the tweaked image would be consistent with someone bumping into a tripod-mounted camera and triggering multiple exposures.

is looking through the other door, no?

Is this the room? ...

1613726_orig.jpg

Image URL: http://www.jacktherippermuseum.com/uploads/1/0/3/5/10350135/1613726_orig.jpg

I've taken the pic you posted and tweaked it in a graphics program (pumped up the exposure, twiddled with contrast, etc.). The result is blurry, but I'm seeing what appears to be the result of multiple exposures, with the bed's upright metal end(s?) being replicated one or more times.

View attachment 4420

At first I thought the lighter patch at top center was the window in the far wall, but the lines I can make out don't match the thick crossbars of the window in the photo above. Furthermore, the most clearly visible bed-end is cocked at a quite different angle from the possible window - meaning either it's not the window or it's the window and there are multiple exposures from different camera angles.

Was the camera sitting on a tripod or other mount? The blurry mess I'm seeing in the tweaked image would be consistent with someone bumping into a tripod-mounted camera and triggering multiple exposures.
Thats the room BUT there was no jack the ripper figure there on my visit! proof of spirit at last!!

The camera was handheld, could the same effect be caused by normal old shakey hands?

is looking through the other door, no?

No. If the room was just as illustrated in the museum photo (1st one in my last post) looking through the other door (open in the photo; leading through the wall to your left; follow the illuminated EXIT sign hanging from the ceiling) wouldn't allow you to see the end of the bed front-on.

Thats the room BUT there was no jack the ripper figure there on my visit! proof of spirit at last!!

The figure is just for website illustration ... The museum is strictly BYOR (Bring Your Own Ripper) ... :evil:

The camera was handheld, could the same effect be caused by normal old shakey hands?

Most definitely! Especially if a wayward finger touched off or pressed on the trigger ...

I'm not seeing the photo bedframe as end on ? but at an angle to the door, as in the JtR photos :)

from the ghost club boffin.

Hi again...

This is a common phenomena & is often due to shutter speed. The blurry image in the background gives it away.

What I think has happened is a point light source has moved throughout the frame whilst the shutter is open. This normally leads to blurry images & in this case the light streak as well.

Hope that helps. Please do get in touch if you have any more questions.

Kind regards,

from the ghost club boffin.

Hi again...

This is a common phenomena & is often due to shutter speed. The blurry image in the background gives it away.

What I think has happened is a point light source has moved throughout the frame whilst the shutter is open. This normally leads to blurry images & in this case the light streak as well.

Hope that helps. Please do get in touch if you have any more questions.

Kind regards,

But what if the light source was the ghost? Eh? Eh? ;)

As an aside- how this the museum? Not been but would like to
i enjoyed it, they aim to show how poor women in the east-end would live in them good old days, so the ripper is overshadowed by his victims ,some of the rooms are done really well and give a good taste of the period and there are some nice artifacts, its not the kind of place you could spend all day but i found it very interesting and i had no interest in jack the ripper before. But the pretend morgue STINKS. (its right next to the toilet)
But what if the light source was the ghost? Eh? Eh?
i assumed the light source was the camera flash, but i should not be so narrow minded! ;)

i enjoyed it, they aim to show how poor women in the east-end would live in them good old days, so the ripper is overshadowed by his victims ,some of the rooms are done really well and give a good taste of the period and there are some nice artifacts, its not the kind of place you could spend all day but i found it very interesting and i had no interest in jack the ripper before.

Thanks. I'll get there one day. Glad the murderer is overshadowed by his victims- as it should be. Wonder if they changed it as they attracted a lot of criticism when it opened by feminist groups. With some validity I thought.

Shouldn't I be able to see the reflection of the cable hanging in front of the right-hand wall on the reflective left-hand wall?

The camera is a nikon 3200 set on auto, and thats as technical as i get, my friend was shooting lots of pics randomly then my best friend would check them for anomalies, this was the only one that had something unusual.

The picture was taken on the top floor of the jack the ripper museum, the room has been done up to look (roughly) like the bedroom off Mary Jane Kelly.

this may be why i can easily see a female face with a bonnet on her head in the top right corner, and a hand reaching out, with only 3 fingers visible, no mobile for me.

I think camera shake is the most sensible suggestion for the line, but the face i think is more of a trick of the light then a real person. i am about to send the picture to the technical officer of the ghost club for a professional opinion, but i doubt it will differ much from whats been said here....apart from aliens n batman ofc.

Having read reviews of the Nikon D3200, it seems like lowlight shooting is one of the camera's weaknesses. Noise and artifacts and if you're on auto, there's probably a slow shutter speed causing a blurry image as well.
Again, I think a rogue light, maybe from a phone has reflected into the lens to create the streak.

You'd also have to ask yourself why a ghost would haunt a museum recreation rather than the actual site of its unfortunate demise.

Having read reviews of the Nikon D3200, it seems like lowlight shooting is one of the camera's weaknesses. Noise and artifacts and if you're on auto, there's probably a slow shutter speed causing a blurry image as well.
Again, I think a rogue light, maybe from a phone has reflected into the lens to create the streak.

You'd also have to ask yourself why a ghost would haunt a museum recreation rather than the actual site of its unfortunate demise.
IF it was a ghost rather then a camera glitch then it would be a ghost that had a connection to the house, I doubt anybody would suggest the spirit of one of Jack the fucks victims would haunt the museum

When i told my best friend what the ghost club had said he immediately replied "what about the face" so i emailed the ghost club back and the boffin replied
"You're right that on close inspection there does appear to be some sort of 'ghoulish' (!) face-like image, but this is most probably pareidolia. This is a common psychological effect where the brain 'makes sense' of random objects, images, sounds etc. into a familiar pattern. A very common example is seeing faces & familiar shapes in clouds.

These types of 'ghost' photos are very common, & if you look hard enough you can almost see just about anything!

An interesting photo nevertheless, we'll add it to our archives (not publicly)"

You would maybe think so, but if you look closely you'll see the faience behind the hanging cable reflects the second alcove, therefore it's reasonable to believe that the cable would be reflected between the first and second alcove, and not before the first one.
faience, good word, i had to look it up ... but yes i think the cable reflection is parallaxed out of the perspective of this photo, deeper in than expected as you say ... the same presumably for whatever light source/disturbance is captured in the foreground, as its reflection is off the front of the photo as it were

so you took the photo, but have no explanation for the multiple light trails ?

although on zoom in you can almost trace the light trails to the overhead light fixtures, did the photo begin in the dark perhaps and the lights were turned on during the (long) exposure ?

Looking at the EXIF, it was a 20 second exposure. The camera is a bit heavy for the tripod, so I think it may have slipped during the last half second. I obviously didn't notice at the time as I didn't try to get the same shot again. Still, I'm not sure what the light source for the trails is.
It's just an example of what movement during an exposure can do, I guess.

It may not have slipped at the last second but moved as you pressed the shutter button.
I don't know how you set this up but on my camera, there's an option of a 2 second delay between pressing the shutter button and the camera taking the picture - for exactly this reason. Ghost hunters must really know their equipment and its limitations before fantastic claims are made imo.

Maybe use a fill flash next time. There may be a control to dial it down in intensity a tad.
Actually, I had an old digital tape video camera with infra red. This may be a useful backup.

wait so if thats a 20 second exposure what were the light conditions in the corridor ?

Back