• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

With the development and widespread availability of digital photography and photoshop, the adage "the camera never lies" has long been dead.
Sadly, we hit a paradox: if we take a photo of what we think is a ghost, then it's either a good, clear one or a blurry, poor image. If it's a poor image then the photo is criticised on it's interpretation; if it's good then it's criticised on being 'too' good. The evidence is destroyed, even though the actual subject of the photo might warrant discussion.
It's somewhat similar to someone posting a picture of a bird type that's unknown in whatever country it's been visiting. Either someone calls fake or it's so blurry and dreadful that you can't tell if it's a bird or a lens smear.

We were shown a 'ghost photo' at the Weird Weekend. It purported to be of the apparition of a woman standing in front of a bridge.

Some astute observer tracked down the image to a photocollage featuring a bride from the Philippines. It seems to have been inserted via a phone ghost-creating app.
I'm convinced: Shutterstock for example claims to have thousands of royalty-free licensable photos of ghost brides.

Wish I could find both the pictures.
Reminds me of when someone found the image that had been use to fake the Wem town hall fire photo.

Reminds me of when someone found the image that had been use to fake the Wem town hall fire photo.
Yes! That photo had featured in t'mag an' everythin'. :chuckle:

We've also had 'ghost' photos featuring a Victorian painting of a little girl offering a birthday present ('For You') and a Jedi.

From memory, the finder stumbled across a postcard reproduction being sold in a market (or something similar) in the same town in this instance that had an identical image of that little girl that had clearly been photoshopped or dark room manipulated onto the Wen town hall fire photo? .. excellent arm chair detective work and kudos to that person.

We're nearly back to the infamous Hitler/Stripper Photo. :chuckle:

Has it been proved to be a fake though?
From memory, the finder stumbled across a postcard reproduction being sold in a market (or something similar) in the same town in this instance that had an identical image of that little girl that had clearly been photoshopped or dark room manipulated onto the Wen town hall fire photo? .. excellent arm chair detective work and kudos to that person.

A image available to locals that was identical to the 'ghost' image, seen in the Town Hall fire in a photo taken by an amateur photographer?

The Town Hall photo being in black and white at a time when colour film was readily available, but amateur photographers used black and white because it was easier to develop and manipulate in home darkrooms? Hmmm. :thought:

Move over, Cottingley Fairies. :chuckle:

Angel. Deffo. No other explanation.
I can't watch the video (it won't load, my speeds are too woeful I suspect), but I read snippets and wondered why on earth the deceased father would manefest by flying past a Ring doorbell camera as an 'angel' rather than - if we suppose that the dead can return to visit their grieving relatives - not appearing as himself and removing any doubt?

I liked Wem the first time I went, but it had a very foreboding presence the second time. Could have just been the weather I suppose.
A branch of my family comes from the area.

Explains a lot. :chuckle:

It was better than I was expecting to be honest.

Dad claims to catch 'angel' on Ring doorbell and people say there's 'no mistaking' it

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/dad-claims-catch-angel-ring-29670970
It looks very much likes a bird, specifically a dove, taking off. The figure looks large in comparison to the car, but we don't know the relative distances between the blur, the car and the camera, nor which thing, car or blur, is in the foreground.

It was better than I was expecting to be honest.

Dad claims to catch 'angel' on Ring doorbell and people say there's 'no mistaking' it

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/dad-claims-catch-angel-ring-29670970
I’m no expert with these things but to me it looks like the movement of the “angel” mirrors the movement of the people walking towards the camera, even when they enter the doorway. Could it be come kind of distorted mirror image reflection on the convex glass in front of the lens?

I'm going with Arthur C. Clarke here: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Ghost photography in its various forms is an example. The camera certainly DOES lie.

Haven't we learned anything from several generations of debunked charlatanry? :chuckle:

Back