The Pyramids Of Giza

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
There have been many theories concerning the method(s) used to align the Giza pyramids during their construction. This article introduces a new approach focused on the autumnal equinox as another possibility. This approach seems to have the advantage of explaining the slight deviation of the pyramids from a strict cardinal directions orientation.

Secret to Great Pyramid's Near Perfect Alignment Possibly Found
Though slightly lopsided, the towering, Great Pyramid of Giza is an ancient feat of engineering, and now an archaeologist has figured out how the Egyptians may have aligned the monument almost perfectly along the cardinal points, north-south-east-west — they may have used the fall equinox. ...

"The builders of the Great Pyramid of Khufu aligned the great monument to the cardinal points with an accuracy of better than four minutes of arc, or one-fifteenth of one degree," wrote Glen Dash, an engineer who studies the Giza pyramids, in a paper published recently in the Journal of Ancient Egyptian Architecture.

The pyramid of Khafre (also located at Giza) and the Red Pyramid (located at the site of Dahshur) are also aligned with a high degree of accuracy, Dash noted. "All three pyramids exhibit the same manner of error; they are rotated slightly counterclockwise from the cardinal points," Dash wrote.

For over a century, researchers have proposed different methods used by the ancient Egyptians to align the pyramidsalong these cardinal points with such accuracy. In his paper, Dash demonstrates how a method that makes use of the fall equinox could have been used. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/61799-great-pyramid-near-perfect-alignment.html

Colavito's book is coming in 2020.

I am pleased to announce that I have received a commission from Red Lightning Books and Indiana University Press for a new book, tentatively titled Legends of the Pyramids, which will explore the mythical history of Giza pyramids, from Joseph’s granaries to antediluvian giants to space aliens. The short book will be written for a general mass-market audience and is intended to serve as an overview of the many ways people have imagined the history of the pyramids. It will incorporate material from my blog and focus on the importance of the medieval legend of the antediluvian pyramids from the Akhbar al-zaman in shaping popular understanding of the pyramids and Egyptian history down to the present. The book is currently scheduled for release sometime in 2020.

Here’s a brief overview of the book from my book proposal:

About the Book
Around a thousand years ago, an Islamic writer gazed on the great pyramids of Giza and composed in awe an ode to their impossible wonder: “There is nothing for which I do not fear the effects of time, except for the two pyramids. However, I rather fear for their effect on time.” Over the centuries, these lines were polished into their familiar form: “Man fears time, but time fears the pyramids.” Symbolic of the veil of mystery and myth that hangs over the pyramids, the Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs professes not to know the source of the quotation, though it is rather clear: It first appears in the Egyptian history of al-Maqrizi around 1400 CE, attributed to an anonymous earlier writer. But few today have read medieval chronicles laying claim to a wondrous history of Egypt. This blind spot unintentionally created the means through which a bizarre fictional history of Egypt has come to dominate pop culture’s view of pharaonic civilization, from Freemasonry to Stargate and from the Curse of King Tut to Ancient Aliens. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/announcing-my-new-book-legends-of-the-pyramids

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I have just watched a Prime documentary about the pyramids of Giza. I was struck over the claims by some architects and engineers over how with some blocks of granite, your couldn't even get a razor blade between them. Also how many blocks on other structures and of an irregular shape, but match an opposite wall. This, according to some architects, would have made it structurally stronger.

Also, another claim that one of the huge carved statues has an exactly symmetrical face, would cause huge technical difficulties.

For me, it went downhill when it went all Daniken and talked of heiroglyphs showing helicopters and such. But have a Fortean mindset, I am interested if the technical difficulties with what materials they had to hand, makes such structures a genuine mystery.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
I have just watched a Prime documentary about the pyramids of Giza. I was struck over the claims by some architects and engineers over how with some blocks of granite, your couldn't even get a razor blade between them. Also how many blocks on other structures and of an irregular shape, but match an opposite wall. This, according to some architects, would have made it structurally stronger.

Also, another claim that one of the huge carved statues has an exactly symmetrical face, would cause huge technical difficulties.

For me, it went downhill when it went all Daniken and talked of heiroglyphs showing helicopters and such. But have a Fortean mindset, I am interested if the technical difficulties with what materials they had to hand, makes such structures a genuine mystery.
I was lucky enough to go inside the pyramid a few years ago, (not sure if you can still do it now) and I too was very amazed at the closeness of the joints, especially considering the sizes of the stones that we're talking about. We're told they only had copper chisels and if that is true it's even more astounding to me (as someone who has worked with stone).

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
We're told they only had copper chisels and if that is true it's even more astounding to me (as someone who has worked with stone).
Most of the fine shaping was done by grinding, not hammer and chisel :) According to the archaeology anyway.

I do accept fully that not everyone believes the archaeology!