• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Flying Penguin said:
How can I upload a custom avatar? I can't even locate a button to do that, and my image cannot be linked to another website. It used to be so easy ... :(

Due to the way the server is set up uploading to the site has been disabled (hence uploading avatars and attachments are currently not enabled) and you need to host the image somewher else and put the link into the right part of your profile.

For security reasons the image must have an image extension (.gif or .jpg) so some of the file hosting services won't work but other than that things should work OK. People use a variety of services and there is quite a bit of discussion and recommendation in this thread.

Flying Penguin said:
How can I upload a custom avatar? I can't even locate a button to do that, and my image cannot be linked to another website. It used to be so easy ... :(

Go to 'profile near the top of the page - between 'usergroups' and the message about messages.

Then click on 'profile' in your seettings page - it's the tab between 'Home' and 'Registering'

Then select 'avatar' on this new menu, and you can link to a remote sitre from there.

Sorry Emps, this had to be done, seeing as you were trying to mislead us all with that fake Emo page of yours . . .

For all those jealous of Emps's frightening avatar, behold! We are now all free to freak each other out. Beware: all the eyes are spooky, there are no exceptions, so it's not entirely Emps's fault.

http://www.dookyweb.com/avatars.swf

Here's mine, but it scared my Hubbles too much, so I'm looking for another one.

myscaryavatar.gif

Found this one too: http://avatarmaker.abi-station.com/index_en.shtml quite a lot less spooky, though it's very Japanese, so it's spooky in other ways!

myniceavatar.gif

Thank you Quixote!

Kitty said:
Why doesn't that work? Have pics been disabled? Oh well, here's the link in the mean time, hopefully I'll figure it out soon:
*snip*

How come this one works? I really can't see what I've done wrong with that first one.

Kitty, the first image you have posted was saved as a bitmap (bmp).

The image that does appear in your post was saved as .gif, photos/images saved as gif's or jpeg's are compatible with the board and will then be shown if you include the tags etc. which you have anyway.

Hope that helps, I can't exactly explain the technicalities behind it though, I'll leave that one for Emps. :?

new avatar, again

Just checking my new (old) avatar. 48x48 and 36KB animated GIF. I moved it to photobucket to see if that keeps the avatar better than the original site.

(edit) Coool, it works again.

not really an avatar question, I know. But... :oops:

How do you place images into the Signature field??

PM or email me if you don't post here, or at least let me no where the answer is if it already exists elsewhere :D

You use the same BBCode as you would elsewhere so try:

image.gif

Just make sure the image isn't too big (in dimensions and file size) and I know I'd prefer it if it wasn't too much an eye sore ;)

Thanks for the reply Emps. In the URL do I have to type the filename? :confused:

canwyll corf said:
Thanks for the reply Emps. In the URL do I have to type the filename? :confused:

I think i know what you mean.

You can'tjust upload an image from your computer for your avatar or signature picture it must be hosted somewhere online. Either find an image you like online and post the web address in your signature with:
after it.

Or, better.

Save the image to your haddrive and then upload it to a website who will host it for you for free like www.photobucket.com - they will give you an address to enter and your image should appear!

canwyll corf said:

Yeah if you use one of the online storage servcies mentioned above they tend to give you the right link to use and you can pop that in between the IMG tags.

canwyll corf said:
I'll give it a try... ta :yeay:

Way too big I'm afraid.

[edit: Its 300x1179 pixels. We ask for a maximum height of 150px and that things don't push the site out of shape. Its also 204kb and we've asked elsewhere that people keep all images below 50kb and that is for one offs - sigs and avatras should aim to be less than that as they appear multiple times on the page - pos. a maximum of 20kb is a reasonable target.]

[edit2: As you aren't around and it is breaking the forum I have remvoed it. Original link:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/c ... anders.jpg ]

I took the liberty of resizing it but it still looks a bit wide:

TheBroadbanders.jpg

Edit: hrm, maybe not. :) It's 150 pixels tall and 32kb. I can shrink it further if you like.

I'd appreciate any help you might have here...I have tried to link an avatar from photobucket (great site, thanks to whomever first mentioned it,) and I can't get the jpegs to load at the "avatar profile".

I even tried the old custom avatar (which was the right (small) size,) and it won't load either.

<faint weeping>

I am tired of hiding behind the 8-Ball.....

I need a drink. :_pished:

Thanks Emps- I'll try again! :D

<slings pick axe over shoulder and trudges off>

Edit: And thar she blows!! As usual, I was making something simple way too complicated. thanks again.

Sorry for all the hassle with the size of my sig, guys :oops: . Have re-sized the image to a more respectable one.

Only now it appears to small :shock: . If I try to re-seize the file much more, it will revert the image to a size to big for the sig :cry: .

If any of you mods there could resize it to make it legible, I would appreciate it :yeay: :_pished:

Having a few probs mostly a result of not having any fancy picture editing software.

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could convert an image to a good-looking 80x80 size jpeg for use as my new avatar.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img ... /33448.jpg

Just the central figure with some ground around him, but whatever works best and keeps resolution good.

I'd be most grateful - either post it here or pm me for an email address or photobucket it.

The Yithian said:
Having a few probs mostly a result of not having any fancy picture editing software.

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could convert an image to a good-looking 80x80 size jpeg for use as my new avatar.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img ... /33448.jpg

Just the central figure with some ground around him, but whatever works best and keeps resolution good.

I'd be most grateful - either post it here or pm me for an email address or photobucket it.

It is a bit too big and detailled I'm afraid (you get loss of detail):
www.the-emperor.org/graphics/yith_av.jpg

unless by "central figure" you meant:
www.the-emperor.org/graphics/yith_av1.jpg

The Yithian said:
I'll look for another photo of it

Err, i'm failling here. I'm looking to get the Cerne Abbas giant as my avatar but i'm not sure what qualities the original wants to have to reduce well with definition. Can somebody with half a brain please help because i'm incompetent.

The Yithian said:
The Yithian said:
I'll look for another photo of it

Err, i'm failling here. I'm looking to get the Cerne Abbas giant as my avatar but i'm not sure what qualities the original wants to have to reduce well with definition. Can somebody with half a brain please help because i'm incompetent.

Its not really about the quality of the image its about the amount of detail you can get into an 80x80 pixture shrinking it down from around 250x250px - I'm sure if one worked at it a bit they could get a bit more detail in but it is stil going to be tricky.

Back