• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
WhistlingJack said:
In spite of there being a clearly-stated 80x80 pixel limit for avatars, some members are disregarding it, whether deliberately or accidentally.

arm up in the air and extended to the point of dislocation

Miss! Miss! Pietro_Mercurios has got a big avatar, Miss! It's 100x123, Miss! He said he doesn't care, Miss!

[/grass]

LOL!

I love you 'jeffloves'! And I don't care who 'tone' is! :shock:

Okay folks, the thing is it was never our intention for anyone to feel patronised and no one is suggesting that anyone who gets a resized signature has broken any rules.

Again, the resizing came about due to a bit of a problem we had with another poster's signature. I accept that maybe we could have gone about it a different way, perhaps a global announcement should have been made - so everybody was made aware of what was going on - but unfortunately, we didn't. I'd just like to point out that no text would be altered or removed, just resized.

All I can suggest now is if anyone else disagrees to the resizing of their text signatures to a smaller font, then please, post it up here or if you prefer, get in touch with me by pm.

jefflovestone said:

Miss! Miss! Pietro_Mercurios has got a big avatar, Miss! It's 100x123, Miss! He said he doesn't care, Miss!

[/grass]
Oh! You fibber! I never said nuffink.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
jefflovestone said:

[/grass]
Oh! You fibber! I never said nuffink.

And you offered to give Quixote a read of your comic and two chocolate mice in exchange for a look at her tuppence! I'm gonna tell your mam of you and it'll cost you three chocolate mice and a gobstopper to stop me!

[/most disliked weed in the class]

[derail]
When I was a kid, the people who used to live next door to us had a chiuahua. It really was an ankle-biter and it also constantly yipped day-in, day-out.

My bro' and his family still lives in the old house and they've got new neighbours. Last year, I was talking to my sis-in-law and her neighbour one evening and just happened to point out the patch where the dog's kennel and run used to stand. I also told them how the daughter used to carry the dog in her handbag - this was years before Parasite Hilton et al made it trendy over here, too! When I told them the dog's name, I couldn't figure out why they were laughing so much, to the point they became hysterical.

Them -"So let me get this right, she used to carry her Tuppence around in a bag?"

Me - "Well, yeah. I used to see her holding it under her arm on the bus, all the time."

Them - Hysterical laughter

I never knew it was another name for that. To make things worse they laughed even harder when I told them my mother always called it a 'flower' :(
[/derail]

Oop North, another expression is 'ha'penny', as in the song, 'Keep Yer 'and On Your Ha'penny'.

The expression "We were so poor we didn't have two ha'pennies to rub together" will never be the same again.

:shock:

Getting back on thread, I haven't got a big one ;) (only three words), but it has been made even smaller.

Whereas other people (you know who you are :evil: ) are still flaunting big ones!

Come on Mods, let's have some consistency!

There's 10,000 of you and only five of us.

We'll get there eventually :).

stuneville said:
There's 10,000 of you and only five of us.

We'll get there eventually :).
Well, go for the big beasts first!

In fact, now I think more on't, I'm amazed that this job has to be done piecemeal, and in such a way that anyone with troll-like inclinations could easily undo.

Can't TPTB come up with a programming fix that automatically reduces all sigs, and can't be fiddled with by ordinary posters?

Otherwise this exercise could become rather like - er - painting the Forth Bridge...! 8)

bigphoot1 said:
The expression "We were so poor we didn't have two ha'pennies to rub together" will never be the same again.

:shock:

Yup. We were that poor.
Then we built Giggleswick. ;)

rynner said:
Well, go for the big beasts first!
Of course, I initially misread that. Anyway, I'm back now.

rynner said:
Can't TPTB come up with a programming fix that automatically reduces all sigs, and can't be fiddled with by ordinary posters?
I refer the honourable gentleman to my reply here, in which I said:
On another thread said:
...cos it's #357 on our wish list of modifications, which we have to pass onto our gracious hosts. Given the rate at which these requests are expedited, all should be ship-shape in about six or seven years, tops.
For #357 read #358.

Okay. I think I've contributed to a snowball that has groan (yes, I am THAT clever!) way beyond it's intended size. I know that certain people meant well when they altered my personae (yes, I am THAT clever!) for no good reason (the reason actually given to me was that it was more trouble to PM a board member and ask for changes than it was to wade in with 'size nine' boots and trample all over my human rights, and force a trivial change that, clearly, isn't even worth typing about). Well. That's as good a reason as any, I guess.

'Your' comments about how you could have gone about things differently - posting a warning in each subject thread? - well, there's still time to do this. Some people only play here once in a while and may need time for your new rules to sync in.

If I, we, let you alter our profiles - without a legitimate reason - (just silly changes to our sigs for now) then where will it all end?

Change my profile. I dare you!

Frobush said:
... for no good reason (the reason actually given to me was that it was more trouble to PM a board member and ask for changes than it was to wade in with 'size nine' boots and trample all over my human rights, ...
To be honest, I'm not sure if the International Treaty on Human Rights actually covers Message Boards, or textual aesthetics. :confused:

If it does, I'm sure you'll put us right.

I've had mine changed too and I work here. ;)

Pietro_Mercurios said:
To be honest, I'm not sure if the International Treaty on Human Rights actually covers Message Boards, or textual aesthetics. :confused:

If it does, I'm sure you'll put us right.

It's not my job to find that out for you. You should know. Maybe, one day, I will have rights. But until then please feel free to do whatver you please. It must be nice to be answerable to no-one. I envy you.

Okay! :shock:

I give in! :lol:

Come here and give us a big sloppy kiss! Group hug! Awe, how wonderful! :D

Friends?

Frobush said:
Okay! :shock:

I give in! :lol:

Come here and give us a big sloppy kiss! Group hug! Awe, how wonderful! :D

Friends?
Of course we all are, Fro :).

I've got a really bad cold though, and a bad back, so perhaps pass on the kiss?

Oi!

No tongues!

But seriously. Truce. Just ask and I'll change whatever you want.

So, just to recap for everybody who hasn't been able to follow this very fascinating thread closely enough, is everybody requested to make the text of their signature smaller? And if so what size, is "small" enough?

Perhaps we should have a poll?

Or let the MODs modify it all and be damned! (Sorry, all - I just can't help myself!) :D

Frobush said:
No.
min_bannister said:
So, just to recap for everybody who hasn't been able to follow this very fascinating thread closely enough, is everybody requested to make the text of their signature smaller? And if so what size, is "small" enough?
"Small" from the drop down box above (size 9) is just fine. A lot of people have just one sig line, which isn't too bad normal size, but others have rather more, and in some cases their signatures can swamp their actual posts - also sigs do slow down loading speeds, especially for people on slow connections. In the interests of fairness, we're asking everyone to do the same (we're not asking anyone to alter their text though - if anyone has concerns about actual content then PM one of us to discuss - it's the formatting we're getting at.) We have been altering one or two as we came across them, but as I said the actual words themselves have been left completely alone (in the same way as we alter URLs etc to prevent screen breaking as we go along.)

As for pics, we're just sorting out guidelines on max sizes to prevent screen breaking and associated loading problems, and we'll get back to you on that one shortly.

Thank you for your cooperation :D. Have a biccie.

Okay that is mine done, though I got some sort of dictionary thing when I right clicked the text to shift it suggested I change it to "smouldered". :shock:

Cheers Min. And yeah, the Firefox dictionary does have very much it's own ideas.

stuneville said:
Frobush said:
No.

Yes.

And I have gone out of way to stop posters posting large piccies (to the extent that I have resized and hosted the images myself, getting the MODs to alter text (oh, you little...), and given links to online software that automatically changes the image sizes to perectly 'fit in' - and requested the offending offended people to comply - but to no avail.) I have, on occasions, back-busted the board! Everyone makes mistakes! But I have NEVER done it on purpose.

Frobush said:
But I have NEVER done it on purpose.
Oh, we know :). 99.9% of posters don't do this sort of thing deliberately at all.

And we do appreciate your efforts, Fro. Have another biccie.

Afternoon all.....

Just a quick question, I have looked and searched and I can't find out how to do this so I'm asking here....

I'm changing my ISP and losing my email address, how do I make all my notifications from the board go to a new address? I found one screen where I could change an address, but it looked as though that was just to do with newsletters, not board stuff.

Back