Spooks On The Tube: Ghosts Of London Underground

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Myth
Have you any details on this. Was it a tube train in central London that this lady was killed?
My incident happened around February 1993.

I’d hate to think this blood stained man had just committed murder.

Afterwards when the guy got off and I’d calmed down a bit I reckoned that he had just came from Smithfield meat market which is only a 10 Minuite walk from St. Paul’s - although in saying that, I had quite a few mates who worked at Smithfield and I never ever knew them to work on a Sunday evening.
Sorry, I was wrong - it was 1988. I found this link:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21875096
They never caught the killer.

Dick Turpin

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Robert Napper comes to mind
Okay I’ve just googled Robert Napper, and I am in no way saying that the blood stained guy on the tube that evening was him ( and it was a long time ago of course) but from what I remember about the guy there is a definite likeness. Fuck - that’s given me the chills

Crankyoldgit62

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Morning Dick, working at the Mount was ok and I did manage to visit the Post Office Railway a few times when we had a first aid training course and when I accidentally dropped the wrong bag down the chute( long story). Left 14 years ago but still see a mate who works there now. Yes, I believe it was the site of Cold Baths prison.

cpm82

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Are you serious? It could be in relation to an unsolved case.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I’ve just googled Robert Napper, and I am in no way saying that the blood stained guy on the tube that evening was him ( and it was a long time ago of course) but from what I remember about the guy there is a definite likeness. Fuck - that’s given me the chills
What did they say when you went to them when it happened?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
I did, but I get it :)

IbisNibs

Exotic animal, sort of . . .
Reaction score
It's funny how easy it is to let someone know that there's a suspicious activity or person nearby when the circumstances aren't so extreme, but when it seems as crazy horrible as a person covered head to foot with blood, you're less likely to mention it. It would be interesting to research the psychology of that (not that I will). I lived in a densely populated city for many years. I never saw anything nearly that extreme, but the more urgent and dangerous an odd situation seemed, the more effort and second guessing myself it took to alert the police. I guess it's your mind trying to protect you from panicking, plus the fact that there are a lot of weird things you see in cities that have reasonable explanations if you only knew the context.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
It's funny how easy it is to let someone know that there's a suspicious activity or person nearby when the circumstances aren't so extreme, but when it seems as crazy horrible as a person covered head to foot with blood, you're less likely to mention it. It would be interesting to research the psychology of that (not that I will). I lived in a densely populated city for many years. I never saw anything nearly that extreme, but the more urgent and dangerous an odd situation seemed, the more effort and second guessing myself it took to alert the police. I guess it's your mind trying to protect you from panicking, plus the fact that there are a lot of weird things you see in cities that have reasonable explanations if you only knew the context.
I think you're spot on there. It also makes me partially remember that ancient piece of research that said if someone shouted FIRE then people would help but not so much if someone shouted RAPE. It suggests that very same reluctance to believe what is happening. I also wonder how that fits in with other anomalous events...

IbisNibs

Reaction score

michael59

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
"A French passenger revealed she heard screaming onboard the train after it left Brixton in south London."
Gee, when I hear someone screaming on a train, I usually report it to someone in charge, but then, I'm a little weird.
I felt the same way when I read this report on the news story.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...ller-decapitated-man-then-ate-his-organs.html

I will never understand why no one on that bus thought to jump this guy and help poor Tim. They could have all got involved and stopped this but, they all panicked and ran off the bus. :(

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I felt the same way when I read this report on the news story.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...ller-decapitated-man-then-ate-his-organs.html

I will never understand why no one on that bus thought to jump this guy and help poor Tim. They could have all got involved and stopped this but, they all panicked and ran off the bus. :(
People do tend to keep away from the crazy. To avoid a random cut from a wildly slashing nutter. So, running away is the best option.

IbisNibs

Reaction score
I does seem like if enough people respond fast enough, tragedy would be averted. Two people stepped in to protect a woman being threatened on a Portland, Oregon light rail train a couple of years ago, and ended up dead. If more people had tried to tackle the crazy guy who caused the conflict, maybe the guys who stepped in would have lived. I suppose there might not have been enough space for more people to engage, or maybe everything happened in just a couple of seconds, too fast for people to realize it had become a fatal encounter.
Decapitating a person and dining on what was left, though, that would take a bit longer . . . It's difficult to understand how that act was completed.

CALGACUS03

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Way back at the start of this thread panster23 (staticgirl's ex) posted about his experience at King's Cross tube station:

We had got off the train and taken one of the tunnels and where in good spirits(no pun intended). Within minutes of entering the tunnel my head began to swim, kinda disorientated I clearly heard screams of many people to the point that I felt panicked. I saw horrid images of burnt people running in directions, an image a youngish woman standing and screaming will never leave me, when I think back to the time.
That sounds like the "screaming woman" who's associated with the King's Cross fire of 1987. From the Daily Heil (sorry) here

Who or what: A cosmopolitan young woman with long brown hair wearing modern clothing is said to walk the corridors of one of London's busiest stations.

The lady is said to scream loudly with arms outstretched – but when people come to her aid, she disappears into thin air

When: The first sighting of this frightening apparition was in 1988, when a commuter saw a woman appearing distressed and walked over to comfort her – only to pass right through her when he reached her.There have been many similar sightings since, all at the same spot.

Possible explanation: The infamous Kings Cross fire of 1987 is believed to be the cause of these supernatural incidents, with many people suggesting she may have been one of the victims of the tragedy.
If the similarity between the King's Cross apparition and Panster's experience has already been noticed by everyone here; I apologize.

This ghost/spirit/call-it-what-you-will has always made me uncomfortable; usually ghosts are associated with long passed events. This one though is of someone who sounds like she may have been much my age at the time of her death (I was twenty at the time of the fire), and it's likely that her parents, siblings, etc. are still alive. It may even be possible to put a name to her based on the description and the list of those who died.

However, to try to do so just feels morbidly tasteless and inappropriate.

staticgirl

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
Way back at the start of this thread panster23 (staticgirl's ex) posted about his experience at King's Cross tube station:

That sounds like the "screaming woman" who's associated with the King's Cross fire of 1987. From the Daily Heil (sorry) here

If the similarity between the King's Cross apparition and Panster's experience has already been noticed by everyone here; I apologize.

This ghost/spirit/call-it-what-you-will has always made me uncomfortable; usually ghosts are associated with long passed events. This one though is of someone who sounds like she may have been much my age at the time of her death (I was twenty at the time of the fire), and it's likely that her parents, siblings, etc. are still alive. It may even be possible to put a name to her based on the description and the list of those who died.

However, to try to do so just feels morbidly tasteless and inappropriate.
I'm not sure he still reads FT but I shall mention it next time we have a natter!

DrPaulLee

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
The 1987 Kings fire victim was also mentioned on The Londonist's website - as well as Boudicca supposedly haunting the station.

MorningAngel

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Vardoger

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Victory

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
This is from a couple of years ago so I hope it’s not already been shared.

I don’t know what machine they’re using but the results seem to be better than with evps.

Ghost swore at me in a Tube station which has been abandoned for 40 years
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/ghost-swore-tube-station-been-13245975
Two points

Aldwych tube station closed to passenger services in 1994, not "almost 40 years ago" as stated in the article.
Since then it is far from the disused station described in the article, as it is used for filming and for private parties.

If the reporters' dictaphones stopped working because of ghost activity, how was the "Ghost Telephone Machine" able to keep working?

Last edited:

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Two points

Aldwych tube station closed to passenger services in 1994, not "almost 40 years ago" as stated in the article.
Since then it is far from the disused station described in the article, as it is used for filming and for private parties.

If the reporters' dictaphones stopped working because of ghost activity, how was the "Ghost Telephone Machine" able to keep working?
I occasionally used Aldwych station to get to the Science Reference Library and passed through on the last day before closure. Must admit there was always a 'smell' of depression about the place and it wouldn't have been my choice of location at night. However, if you want to be sworn at in a train station I'd suggest approaching some of the older Staff members for information at the Mainline terminals. Oh and some-one tell the Merricans that flesh-eating trogs descended from survivors of a tunnel collapse in ye olden times was the plot of Death Line (1972) and not local legend.