• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
This is from a couple of years ago so I hope it’s not already been shared.

I don’t know what machine they’re using but the results seem to be better than with evps.

Ghost swore at me in a Tube station which has been abandoned for 40 years
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/ghost-swore-tube-station-been-13245975

Two points

Aldwych tube station closed to passenger services in 1994, not "almost 40 years ago" as stated in the article.
Since then it is far from the disused station described in the article, as it is used for filming and for private parties.

If the reporters' dictaphones stopped working because of ghost activity, how was the "Ghost Telephone Machine" able to keep working?

Last edited:
Two points

Aldwych tube station closed to passenger services in 1994, not "almost 40 years ago" as stated in the article.
Since then it is far from the disused station described in the article, as it is used for filming and for private parties.

If the reporters' dictaphones stopped working because of ghost activity, how was the "Ghost Telephone Machine" able to keep working?

I occasionally used Aldwych station to get to the Science Reference Library and passed through on the last day before closure. Must admit there was always a 'smell' of depression about the place and it wouldn't have been my choice of location at night. However, if you want to be sworn at in a train station I'd suggest approaching some of the older Staff members for information at the Mainline terminals. Oh and some-one tell the Merricans that flesh-eating trogs descended from survivors of a tunnel collapse in ye olden times was the plot of Death Line (1972) and not local legend.

The 1987 Kings fire victim was also mentioned on The Londonist's website - as well as Boudicca supposedly haunting the station.
Didn't know she was a commuter.

Next Tuesday, Halloween, 11pm, Ch 5: Ghosts Of The London Underground! :D

The old cynic in me has often wondered if TFL management, ever encouraged their staff to embellish the stories told in this documentary, as a way to increase the public’s interest with the tube system and thus raise more revenue.

Last night I was casually browsing the Leyton Orient football message boards, when I noticed that somebody had recently started a thread entitled Ghosts - not something you would expect to see on a football forum.

To cut a long story short, someone had uploaded the Ghosts of the London Underground doc, and posted a comment that said “My bit starts at 31m 40 secs”

I scroll forward to 31 min & 40 secs, and it was the guy who told the story about coming across a man holding an old tilly lamp, in one of the tunnels.

Turns out the tilly lamp story teller is a regular poster on the forum and a huge Orient fan. :)

Anyway, he also said that the stories were true, and the film was commissioned by a private firm then sold to Channel 4 (I thought channel 5, but who am I to argue)

I’m not a member of the forum, but I could join and fire off a few questions about the programmes contents, I may even pick some more fortean stories previously untold about the Tube.

The old cynic in me has often wondered if TFL management, ever encouraged their staff to embellish the stories told in this documentary, as a way to increase the public’s interest with the tube system and thus raise more revenue.

Last night I was casually browsing the Leyton Orient football message boards, when I noticed that somebody had recently started a thread entitled Ghosts - not something you would expect to see on a football forum.

To cut a long story short, someone had uploaded the Ghosts of the London Underground doc, and posted a comment that said “My bit starts at 31m 40 secs”

I scroll forward to 31 min & 40 secs, and it was the guy who told the story about coming across a man holding an old tilly lamp, in one of the tunnels.

Turns out the tilly lamp story teller is a regular poster on the forum and a huge Orient fan. :)

Anyway, he also said that the stories were true, and the film was commissioned by a private firm then sold to Channel 4 (I thought channel 5, but who am I to argue)

I’m not a member of the forum, but I could join and fire off a few questions about the programmes contents, I may even pick some more fortean stories previously untold about the Tube.

There's a railway staff forum with a huge 'Railway Ghosts' thread. That's interesting too.

There are quite a few on there. Hadn't been on it for a while so couldn't find the very long thread but there are others with 'Ghost' and 'Paranormal' in the titles. I'll dig a bit and find it.

Rail UK Forums
Aw crap. I really need to get some work done this afternoon.

Haven't found any ghost stories, but now I know about six wheel parcel vans, something I would have thought referred to a UPS truck or something.

I’m not sure I’m convinced by this. Interesting read though. https://www.mylondon.news/news/nostalgia/london-underground-ghost-saved-man-21421033
Hmm I agree, I would hazard a guess that he didn't touch the live line at all, there is no evidence he was 'zapped by 20,000 volts, (I've witnessed someone get 11,000 volts pass through them and it was not nice) there are no quotes from the underground worker who fell at all, which seems an odd omission, and the 'ghost' was 'stroking the mans head' before he fell, so to summarise, underground worker falls of platform and bruises himself.

Remember a story from the mid 70s where someone who became famous (I have Gary Numan in my mind?) got off a train with his mate at a packed station and just in front of them was a man dressed in old fashioned clothes. He turned down a side corridor and when Numan (or whoever it was) and his friend got there 5 seconds later, he'd vanished. The corridor was a bricked up dead-end and with no doors or windows in it.

Remember a story from the mid 70s where someone who became famous (I have Gary Numan in my mind?) got off a train with his mate at a packed station and just in front of them was a man dressed in old fashioned clothes. He turned down a side corridor and when Numan (or whoever it was) and his friend got there 5 seconds later, he'd vanished. The corridor was a bricked up dead-end and with no doors or windows in it.
Numan describes the incident in this video -

Has there been a dedicated book on the ghosts of the underground (other than the one produced by Bradwell Books)?

Has there been a dedicated book on the ghosts of the underground (other than the one produced by Bradwell Books)?

I know of three books on the subject, though there are numerous others which mention it in passing.

Brandon and Brooke.jpg

Jill Armitage.jpg

Will Underwood.jpg

Haunted London Underground is an atrocious book, I don't recall it having any tfl involvement.

The 24th anniversary of the Kings X disaster is on the 18th November. A terrible day that I remember well. I’d started my first job as a Postal worker on the June of that year, and on the evening of the fire I was on a middle shift which finished at 7pm.

Me and a mate had a quick pint before walking over to St Pauls tube station. I took a central line train east, but my mate lived in North London and his route would have took him through Kings X.

When I got home it was all over the news, the scenes were just awful. The fire crews could only spend 5 minutes at a time fighting the fire, before coming out and laying spread-eagled on the pavement to get hosed down by other crew members, their uniforms smoking.

Obviously this was before social media and mobile phones were in their infancy, and as I didn’t have the home number of my mate, I just sat there and fretted all night for him.

Happily he made it in the next day - a little later than normal but he was fine. He told me that the tube he was on went into the station as per normal, and started to slow down as per normal, but then speeded up again as the driver either by seeing what was happening or receiving information by radio and told not to stop.

Horrible thing to happen.

The 24th anniversary of the Kings X disaster is on the 18th November. A terrible day that I remember well. I’d started my first job as a Postal worker on the June of that year, and on the evening of the fire I was on a middle shift which finished at 7pm.

Me and a mate had a quick pint before walking over to St Pauls tube station. I took a central line train east, but my mate lived in North London and his route would have took him through Kings X.

When I got home it was all over the news, the scenes were just awful. The fire crews could only spend 5 minutes at a time fighting the fire, before coming out and laying spread-eagled on the pavement to get hosed down by other crew members, their uniforms smoking.

Obviously this was before social media and mobile phones were in their infancy, and as I didn’t have the home number of my mate, I just sat there and fretted all night for him.

Happily he made it in the next day - a little later than normal but he was fine. He told me that the tube he was on went into the station as per normal, and started to slow down as per normal, but then speeded up again as the driver either by seeing what was happening or receiving information by radio and told not to stop.

Horrible thing to happen.
So awful. I think you’ve lost a decade though it’s going to 34 years.

Has there ever been any unexplained phenomenon related to this disaster?

So awful. I think you’ve lost a decade though it’s going to 34 years.

Has there ever been any unexplained phenomenon related to this disaster?

Yes.

"King's Cross
Tragedy struck King's Cross St Pancras Underground station in 1987. A total of 31 people were killed and more than 100 injured.
The following year, a woman reported seeing a distressed woman and going to help her, but instead she passed straight through her.
The woman is described as being dressed in modern clothes and is said to scream loudly and have her arms outstretched.
There have been a number of sightings of her since 1987."

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/11-most-haunted-london-underground-17162101

@Victory thank you! Do you happen to know if any of these were produced with the cooperation of tfl?
I don't know if TfL had any say in these books.

My suggestions would be to ask:

The authors through Twitter/Facebook,
Contact the publisher.
Contact the London Underground Museum.
Contact their press office.

The 24th anniversary of the Kings X disaster is on the 18th November. A terrible day that I remember well.

It shook me greatly.

The night before, I had been up those exact escalators. 24 and a half hours before the fire.

So had thousands of people, we'd been going to the Arsenal vs Stoke League Cup game at Highbury.

Back