• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
New entry from the UK Paranormal Database:

Legless Male​

Location: Margaretting (Essex) - Margaretting Road between village and Galleywood
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: June 2023
Further Comments: A fast moving and seemingly legless male figure with dark hair and wearing an oversized grey tee-shirt shot across the road at huge speed in front of a motorist. The figure disappeared over a ditch. The driver slowed and stopped to look, but the figure had vanished.
Oh, I'm glad we're back onto ghosts again! Although from the number of anomalies on this one (legless, oversized t shirt, huge speed) I would guess that this is an optical illusion. It would be interesting to know the weather and lighting conditions when this happened.

The post that, for the past nearly thirty years I have been assuming to be a person standing right by the side of the road, causing me to tap my brakes as I drive past, has been removed. I almost miss it now...

The post that, for the past nearly thirty years I have been assuming to be a person standing right by the side of the road, causing me to tap my brakes as I drive past, has been removed. I almost miss it now...
You could always have a look on google earth as sometimes it gives you past years to look at where it might still be there.

Oh, I'm glad we're back onto ghosts again! Although from the number of anomalies on this one (legless, oversized t shirt, huge speed) I would guess that this is an optical illusion. It would be interesting to know the weather and lighting conditions when this happened.

The UK Paranormal Database is a wonderful resource but alas it does not cite its sources. Sometimes I can Google a case and find the details elsewhere, sometimes I get a blank as with this one.

You could always have a look on google earth as sometimes it gives you past years to look at where it might still be there.
This was the ridiculous thing. I knew, every time, exactly what it was! But every single time I drove past I'd go 'oh, person waiting by the side of the road, better slow down in case they step... it's that bloody post again, isn't it?'

The people who owned the house the post (it was an old tree stump) was outside, have moved, and I think the new occupants must have had it dug out.

A Rosslyn haunting literally hot off the press:

"On Saturday the 6th of August myself, Mary, our daughter Jessica and her husband, Nick, plus grandson, all jumped into my old Honda CRV and made the 6 hour long journey to Scotland for a holiday.

We had rented a large house that was situated just yards away from Rosslyn chapel. The idea was to follow my family tree to its point of origin, William Sinclair the founder of Rosslyn Chapel. A good friend had previously done out family tree, and to my amazement discovered that Willian St Clair was my 17th generational grandfathe"

Read on:

https://truthproof.uk/Reports2/reprt210.html

So, you think you have seen a ghost, poltergeist, vampires, scary creatures, and aliens then you maybe sleep deprived.

A web site called Science Alert claims that a study of about 8,800 people who think they have experienced the above situations are lacking beneficial sleep.

They warn that the connection is a “ little murky “, but claim that it could use further study.

So you fellow forteaneers, you need to go to bed.

A web site called Science Alert claims that a study of about 8,800 people who think they have experienced the above situations are lacking beneficial sleep.
To be fair I think most of us on here have already worked that one out. Science Alert are stating the bleedin obvious :)

To be fair I think most of us on here have already worked that one out. Science Alert are stating the bleedin obvious :)
I replied in the middle of the night so wasn't up to expanding.

People reporting strange happenings that occur when they're in bed, in the wee small hours, are likely to be at least half asleep for a start.

I once reported a rather noisy apparent earth tremor on'ere that happened late at night. Well, it was before midnight.
I wasn't asleep, having just lain down and chosen a bedtime podcast.

There was no record of any local 'quakes or whatever. So, what to think? :thought:

I replied in the middle of the night so wasn't up to expanding.

People reporting strange happenings that occur when they're in bed, in the wee small hours, are likely to be at least half asleep for a start.

I once reported a rather noisy apparent earth tremor on'ere that happened late at night. Well, it was before midnight.
I wasn't asleep, having just lain down and chosen a bedtime podcast.

There was no record of any local 'quakes or whatever. So, what to think? :thought:
What did you conclude?

What did you conclude?
I certainly wasn't asleep. The effects were exactly like those I've felt in a minor earth tremor. But there wasn't one so :dunno:

Edit -
Near to where we live there is regular subsidence from old underground salt works. There are occasional tremors from that.
They are not yer actual earthquakes.

Here's a post of mine on it:
#9,826

Last edited:
I see people are throwing out ridiculous blanket explanations (the media spin is worse) I am sure that some cases are due to sleep paralysis, but certainly not the majority
From reading many many fora where paranormal events are discussed, plus talking to people in real life etc, I am constantly astonished by how many have never heard of sleep paralysis, and have absolutely no knowledge of its effects, and usually want to believe that something supernatural has happened to them. It's particularly noticeable on US sites, where demons seem to be the 'go to' explanation for events. When I chip in with 'sounds like a classic sleep paralysis incident to me', I am met by a combination of 'no, I wasn't asleep', 'what the hell is that supposed to be?' and 'demons'.

From reading many many fora where paranormal events are discussed, plus talking to people in real life etc, I am constantly astonished by how many have never heard of sleep paralysis, and have absolutely no knowledge of its effects, and usually want to believe that something supernatural has happened to them. It's particularly noticeable on US sites, where demons seem to be the 'go to' explanation for events. When I chip in with 'sounds like a classic sleep paralysis incident to me', I am met by a combination of 'no, I wasn't asleep', 'what the hell is that supposed to be?' and 'demons'.
I suppose it is understandable. It is so much more comforting to believe you've been visited by a demon while you are lying asleep and helpless in your bed.

I had to research a bit when I started suffering sleep paralysis but ‘demons’ was not my first thought.

Since the holiday in Alexanderstone in ‘21, I haven’t stayed anywhere atmospheric unfortunately :dunno:

I mentioned on this thread that my partner and I went there with his parents and although I pass on my ‘ghost’ books to his mother, I never said anything to when we were there as I thought she might not be able to sleep. (She’s very interested in shows like Help, My House is Haunted etc). However a few months ago we were talking and I did say to my partner, ‘Yes, but that place (Alexanderstone) was haunted, I think,’ and his mother piped up ‘Yes it was, I didn’t want to say anything at the time.’ Then my partner’s father scoffed, ‘No it wasn’t,‘ so I said, ‘I was in the room with you when you said you saw someone walk through the connecting door.’ (And my view was right down the room through the connecting door on into the kitchen to the porch). He said, ‘Oh yes, I did see that.’ So the three of us were just looking at him and he mumbled that he just didn’t believe in that sort of thing even though he saw it.

It’s my partner’s mum’s 70th Sunday so we’ve booked a big old converted mill in Gloucestershire for a family get-together Saturday-Monday to treat her, cook for her, etc. Looks like a very nice and rambling old place so we’ll see if it is ’odd’ in any way.

Have to say I like this one, a possible time-slip?

Children​

Date / Time: Winter, 2010
Further Comments: A man walking his dog spotted some children playing near the river, the dog edging away from the nearest child, who was a girl who wore a long white dress. The man assumed the children were from a party at a nearby house, but soon realised that the path and area were very muddy, but the girl in white's dress was pristine. On the return walk, the children had gone.

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php

Well, I wasn’t keen on this place we stayed in though in theory it was very nice indeed.

It looked as if the complex was once a farm: farmhouse, barn (where we stayed) outbuildings, new build, now all renovated in Cotswold stone and owned by the same Airbnb hosts.

We booked this as a surprise 70th for my partner’s mum and were determined that she should do nothing at all as she is the kind of person who will.

So there was my partner’s mum and husband, my partner and myself, his sister, her partner and son, and her ten year old Goldie, my partner’s daughter and her husband with their two children and our work partner and family friend.

There was more than enough room. And yes, it had been beautifully renovated and decorated, but it just felt blankly unfriendly. My partner said he felt ‘harried’ and couldn’t relax and he is a person who can plonk himself anywhere and chill.
Several people remarked individually that they simply didn’t sleep at all despite the fact that we were all busy and later to bed than normal.

The Goldie wouldn’t go into the dining room or lounge. They would call him in, especially if they were gathered there later to play board games etc, or in the lounge and he would just stand there stiffly and refuse to move.

He was okay in front of the main door and preferred to settle there. They coaxed him into the dining area briefly this morning and he started to growl, although he is a lovely natured dog. He wouldn’t settle at night in the room over the big lounge and my partner’s sister said he seemed bothered all weekend. (They took him to a big old place near Yeovil several years ago, and there was a room there he wouldn’t go near).

The designer clearly had a thing about stairs, and rather than bedrooms being accessed along one main corridor they were up different flights: there would be two bedrooms up one flight, two up another, another two only reached by two more flights, etc. I don’t know why, but I feel safer if you have a corridor connection to make a head count or get to someone quickly if there’s a problem, but the way this was planned you felt very cut off. Maybe it’s for fire/safety reasons.

When you went in the main door there was a staircase winding up and an internal load-bearing wall. To the left there was a dining room and beyond that the main big lounge. At the corner of that lounge was a bath/shower/wc and a staircase to a kind of mezzanine twin bedroom.

To the right of the front door was the top part of the kitchen which went around in an open L shape connecting with the dining room.

Further right was another smaller lounge. Behind a door in the top left corner was a bath/shower room and a staircase to a king size double room.

Through the lounge to the right was a space which was like a large utility room/ corridor. There was another staircase here going up to two double bedrooms. Further along was a bath/shower room, cupboard for hoover, mop etc, then coat racks in a corner, then another door. If you opened this, it went down into a tunnel/corridor that descended beneath the ground. It had motion sensor lights and a space heater (not switched on) and you went down the steps, along it and up again. It didn’t exactly smell damp but ‘earthy’. The source of the Thames is very close. It was dim and not very pleasant because of the smell and the gloom.

There was a staircase at the further end, and a wine cellar (open wrought iron door so you could see through).

Eventually we realised that we’d wandered into the owner’s property! There was a room through an open door with a library and large table with all these forms on, (like Inland Revenue), so we quickly backtracked and walking around the outside later on, we saw and that the whole complex was connected either under or overground, probably to make it easier for the cleaners. But you couldn’t lock that door from our ‘barn’ into the tunnel which seemed odd and was a bit off-putting. The door would close with a satisfying click then suddenly open, probably because there was a draft from somewhere although if you opened it the air was very still down there.

The hosts instructions of which part of this complex was ours and where to go were non existent (although I suppose it was just common sense) but there were so many stairs and rooms it was confusing and people will wander unless instructed not to!

We had one of the bedrooms that were accessed from
the stairs by the front door. My partner’s daughter and her family had one larger bedroom as they have two children and we had the one opposite. The bedrooms shared a ‘Jack and Jill’ bathroom and you locked the connecting doors if you were in there and then unlocked them when you left.

This morning my partner’s daughter and her family left about eight as her husband had work. We were all downstairs, carrying out things to the cars or tidying and my partner said he would just use the bathroom before we left.

Although no-one was upstairs he locked the Jack and Jill doors anyhow.

Our friend said he would do a spot-check of all the bedrooms to make sure no-one had left anything and when he tried the bathroom door and it was locked my partner called, ‘I’ll be out in a minute!’

So he flushed the loo, washed his hands, and then heard this loud rap on the door. He opened it quickly saying, ‘Yes, I’m coming now,’ and opened but no-one was there and he heard our friend’s voice talking downstairs so he checked the other bedroom. No-one there. In fact I’d seen our friend come down and everyone at that point was downstairs or outside except my partner.

So not much except this, the dog and the rather cold atmosphere that made it quite hard to feel relaxed. Lovely place, but odd set-up.

They could have done more with the land, I think. I know it’s the end of summer but where they had a trampoline and climbing frame there was all long, dull grass and the closeness of the tiny Thames made it damp and uninviting.

I’m glad there was quite an upbeat energy due to the birthday, because otherwise I think it would have felt quite dispiriting, as if we weren’t wanted there.

Took the pic about a third of the way along the connecting corridor.

Attachments

• IMG_0870.jpeg
    IMG_0870.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33

Children​

Further Comments: A man walking his dog spotted some children playing near the river, the dog edging away from the nearest child, who was a girl who wore a long white dress. The man assumed the children were from a party at a nearby house, but soon realised that the path and area were very muddy, but the girl in white's dress was pristine. On the return walk, the children had gone.

This has reminded me off an odd experience my mum had in the 1980s at a place called Haste Hill in Northwood,Middlesex. She used to walk our Springer Spaniel up the the hill as part of their daily walk. It was a wet and muddy day and she had to wear wellies.
As she was walking up the hill she saw a man standing still about 100 feet from her .He was dressed in a white suit with a white shirt and white top hat and white shoes. She can’t remember seeing him as she was walking up the hill he just seemed to suddenly be there. She looked at him for a while but he didn’t look at her but just looked down the hill. She said it gave her the fear so she carried on walking and didn’t look around again until she was a bit past him as she was concerned he was a wrong un and might follow her but he wasn’t there.
She has no idea how he couldn’t still be in view as it’s a fairly large hill. Why the dog didn’t even look in his direction as he was very protective over her and should have been aware of him. He once saw off a naked man who jumped out from behind a tree when she was in the woods,he ran away clothes in hand with the dog chasing him. And why his clothes looked so clean considering the ground conditions and who wears a white top hat.

This has reminded me off an odd experience my mum had in the 1980s at a place called Haste Hill in Northwood,Middlesex. She used to walk our Springer Spaniel up the the hill as part of their daily walk. It was a wet and muddy day and she had to wear wellies.
As she was walking up the hill she saw a man standing still about 100 feet from her .He was dressed in a white suit with a white shirt and white top hat and white shoes. She can’t remember seeing him as she was walking up the hill he just seemed to suddenly be there. She looked at him for a while but he didn’t look at her but just looked down the hill. She said it gave her the fear so she carried on walking and didn’t look around again until she was a bit past him as she was concerned he was a wrong un and might follow her but he wasn’t there.
She has no idea how he couldn’t still be in view as it’s a fairly large hill. Why the dog didn’t even look in his direction as he was very protective over her and should have been aware of him. He once saw off a naked man who jumped out from behind a tree when she was in the woods,he ran away clothes in hand with the dog chasing him. And why his clothes looked so clean considering the ground conditions and who wears a white top hat.
Great story! It sounds like the ghost of Fred Astaire might be haunting a hillside in Northwood. Funny that the dog was unaware - or unconcerned - about him, as we all know dogs and cats seem to take delight in freaking their owners out at the drop of a (white top) hat by seeing spooks.

One could suspect that it was not a fully formed image, who knows it's one of those bizarre happenings that makes Forteana so fascinating, we live in a mad universe

One could suspect that it was not a fully formed image, who knows it's one of those bizarre happenings that makes Forteana so fascinating, we live in a mad universe
Indeed. It is them bloody fairies again. Someone posted quite recently somewhere about ghost children, which was another one that had me thinking of the stuff that gets reported as fairy sightings.

The description sounds theatrical. As @CharmerKamelion says, it brings to mind Fred Astaire although I can't find a photo of him dressed exactly like that. Even in a white tailcoat he wore black shoes.
The Busby Berkeley musicals of the 1930s had masses of characters dancing in white costumes but most were female.

The Dallas Vintage Shop in Texas will rent you an all-white top hat and tails suit.

Dallas Vintage Shop

Here is their Gentleman's White Party Suit.

Attachments

• White Suit.jpeg
    White Suit.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 17
Great story! It sounds like the ghost of Fred Astaire might be haunting a hillside in Northwood. Funny that the dog was unaware - or unconcerned - about him, as we all know dogs and cats seem to take delight in freaking their owners out at the drop of a (white top) hat by seeing spooks.
Considering how protective the dog was towards my Mum and aware of his surroundings as he was always looking for a rabbit or squirrel to kill. As I said in my OP he once chased a nude man who jumped out from behind a tree so was on the ball (no pun intended) regarding awareness.

Children​

I clicked on the link and read about St Mylor above this one. I rehearse with my band in the grounds of Amesbury Abbey. I'll ask my friend who lives there if he's seen anything.
I've only started going to Amesbury in the last 5 years and it does feel a bit... I want to say odd but that sounds derogatory to the place. I've seen and experienced the strange and delightful there but nothing spooky...yet!

Back