• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The theatre where we rolled up tonight is famously haunted. I considered applying for a job as a technician there a couple of years ago, solely for access to the juicy spookiness.

Chatted with a couple of the technicians there and asked about a similar job that's been advertised recently. Tempting.

Anyway... I tried pumping them for information about the theatre ghosts. Found out that staff do indeed see strange things - property moved around, people walking past when nobody else is in the building - and it's just accepted.

When a famous 1980s act appeared there, one cast member was rather rude to the technicians. They thought she was just being a diva until she approached one to apologise.
Seems the place was so psychically active, she couldn't concentrate on what she was supposed to be doing.

I might go for that technician job! :bthumbup:

I asked my Mum earlier about this again as I couldn't remember exactly what she said to me recently as we spoke about my parents haunted house at Halloween this year as the subject came up again.

Today she told me that the laundry basket lid disturbance happened every day. She added that the scary thing was that she found the lid standing up in lots of different places. It was never in the same place. I also have a correction to my earlier post. The basket lid disturbance continued until they moved out. Apologies for my error.
My Mum also added that there was an uncomfortable atmosphere in the house and she felt like someone was always watching her.
Her friend at work also said the same thing about her visit. She felt very uncomfortable but did not say so until later.
My Mum also gave me a bit of history about the house. The row of terraced houses in Badshot Lea were originally built for farm workers in the local area.

Chatting about Ghosts this evening made my Mum reveal a story about her parents house in Aldershot which I had never heard before.
My Grandparents had a haunted bedroom!
Not long after moving in they were alarmed to wake up with something pressing down on their chests. Sometimes it would be one of them, other times it would be both at the same time.
This happened several times. They did not tell their children (My Mum and her three Sisters) about this as they didn't want to scare them after just moving in.
My Mum's sisters refused to go in the room due to the nasty atmosphere.
My Grandad decided to have a look around the house to see if he could find anything unusual. He found an old Union Jack coffin burial shroud placed on a ledge up the chimney. He quickly burned it in a bonfire in the garden the same day. They also called in a priest to bless the house after finding the item up the chimney. After this the night time disturbances stopped completely.
I certainly look at this house in a different light now.

After watching Uncanny my Mum revealed something else about my Grandparents house. She said that about two weeks before my Gran passed away my Gran told my Mum that there was definitely a presence in the house. She said that she used to see the black shape of a man standing by the fireplace in her bedroom. It looked like a shadow and would just disappear.

Last edited:

Enjoyed this one -

My dad passed away 3 years ago, before Covid. He had COPD and had been in and out of the hospital for over a year. We got a call one morning to say he was in ICU and had been given the last rights. He was in an induced coma and we needed to come and say goodbye. Whole family came in and said goodbyes, but me, mum and brother stayed in the family room when others left.

Incredibly, he woke up. Doctors were baffled, but he seemed ok and we were obvs delighted. First thing he said was the the tall, white figures with no faces had said they werent ready for him yet and he had to go back. But they were standing at the foot of the bed of the young man across from him, could we not see them? We comforted him and marked it down to the drugs. The young man in the bed opposite where my dad had seen the figures standing, passed away that night. The doctors hadnt expected it, I heard them discuss it the next day.

This happened with another 3 people while my dad was in ICU. Now you could mark down that you are not in ICU unless you are very unwell, but my dad was in for 5 days and of the many patients that came and went, the only ones who died were the ones where the white figures stood.

He lasted another 6 months. He got to walk my sister down the aisle at her wedding and at the evening party told me the white figures were back and he needed to go this time. I hoped he had just had one to many whiskies, but he passed away 2 days later.

Funnily enough, last year my DH had a horrible gallbladder infection, caught sepsis and fully crashed. The doctors had quite a fight to save him. When he woke up he saw tall, white figures at the end of his bed, but they had their back to him. After a few moments they drifted away. He said it wasnt scary- just odd.
:omg:

Here's another Mumsnet spooky stories thread one, not at all based on various American Gothic mini-series -

About 12 years ago, we bought our first home which was a really nice flat in an old converted mental hospital.

The hospital was an old Victorian institution, so amazing architecture, grand sash windows, huge grounds. One of the bedrooms was in a tower. It was the only room in the tower, so nothing above or below it and you accessed it internally.

We knew the hospital had a bad reputation - for how it used to treat people, in the social club there was old black and white pictures of people chained to beds, in photos on the walls. It had a reputation for mistreatment, and it had a creepy feel to it. things like the gym were in the old morgue - situated underground without windows.

it was the kind of place, that gave you the creeps. Sometimes when it was at the gym on my own my hair would stand up on my arms and I’d have to leave too afraid to look back.

One night I was asleep with my Oh next to me. My baby was asleep in the tower, when the baby monitor crackled on and started playing old fashioned creepy music. It woke us both up, completely startled and was loud and immediately frightening. The music sounded like a grand piano, and on top of that was loads of voices laughing.

But not laughing like we do today, laughing in an old fashioned creepy way lots of ‘ha ha ha’s - If you know what I mean. After five minutes it crackled off again. This was at 3-4am on a Thursday morning. In disbelief we were both sat bolt up, wide eyed and completely frozen, creeped out.

The baby monitor it was linked to our babies room in the tower.

A few minutes later it happened again. Crackling on, with the strange spooky laughing, laughing over and over - lots of different voices, with this old fashioned music in the background. Hairs stood on the backs of necks and a complete feeling at the time that it wasn’t right. This time my OH jumped up and ran straight to the tower and got our baby back.

We, all three of us huddled together in our bedroom, terrified. We switched the baby monitor off at the wall and eventually went back to sleep with all the lights on…

It was Completely terrifying, but never happened again.

:chuckle:

Also this one -

As teenagers we used to go on all day bike rides during the school holidays.

One summer around 1980 we were riding round some old villages in Northamptonshire and saw this long tree-lined track. We headed off down there and came to this enormous house, partially tumble down, but windows open and you could hear people talking and the occasional shout.

We parked our bikes and tried to look through the gaps between the gate hinges and the stone wall. It looked and sounded like a film was taking place for a filmset. Curious we walked around the place, but it was surrounded by a tall stone wall. At the back was a tall bank covered in bushes with some farm equipment stored next to it so we were able to climb up these and look in. What we saw was truly weird, frightening and bizarre.

The courtyard was marked out like a giant chessboard. People were dotted around this arena being moved about like chess pieces by others who were obviously the players. The 'pieces' were wearing simple clothes, mostly worn or dirty. The players were wearing nice clothes, modern and crisp. None of the 'pieces' looked like they wanted to be there. They were tied up with hands behind their backs, standing in marked out spots. One man was tied up in a kneeling position. Some were crying, shaking and all were very unhappy. One had a very clear nose bleed. One of the players started hitting one of the male 'pieces' with a thick cane. The players were mostly sitting down on deck chairs or sun loungers on one edge of the arena, but one of the 'pieces' had been taken over there and was kneeling down as the players all rested their feet on her.

We felt really uncomfortable and ran back to our bikes. We were about halfway up the long track when we heard a vehicle approaching at speed. We shot down a bank with our bikes and hid among the kek and foliage. A navy blue minibus drove past towards the public road and the next village. We felt we needed to stay there hidden. After about 10 minutes the minibus came back slowly, braking every so often for the driver and passenger to look around. It was obvious now we had been spotted somehow and they were trying to track us down. Eventually we left and headed off home sticking to main roads all the way peddling as hard as we could.

Years later I read about a religious cult in that area that has since been disbanded. There were rumours of bad treatment of members and I always wondered if we had stumbled across the same or similar organisation.

Here's another Mumsnet spooky stories thread one, not at all based on various American Gothic mini-series -

About 12 years ago, we bought our first home which was a really nice flat in an old converted mental hospital.

The hospital was an old Victorian institution, so amazing architecture, grand sash windows, huge grounds. One of the bedrooms was in a tower. It was the only room in the tower, so nothing above or below it and you accessed it internally.

We knew the hospital had a bad reputation - for how it used to treat people, in the social club there was old black and white pictures of people chained to beds, in photos on the walls. It had a reputation for mistreatment, and it had a creepy feel to it. things like the gym were in the old morgue - situated underground without windows.

it was the kind of place, that gave you the creeps. Sometimes when it was at the gym on my own my hair would stand up on my arms and I’d have to leave too afraid to look back.

One night I was asleep with my Oh next to me. My baby was asleep in the tower, when the baby monitor crackled on and started playing old fashioned creepy music. It woke us both up, completely startled and was loud and immediately frightening. The music sounded like a grand piano, and on top of that was loads of voices laughing.

But not laughing like we do today, laughing in an old fashioned creepy way lots of ‘ha ha ha’s - If you know what I mean. After five minutes it crackled off again. This was at 3-4am on a Thursday morning. In disbelief we were both sat bolt up, wide eyed and completely frozen, creeped out.

The baby monitor it was linked to our babies room in the tower.

A few minutes later it happened again. Crackling on, with the strange spooky laughing, laughing over and over - lots of different voices, with this old fashioned music in the background. Hairs stood on the backs of necks and a complete feeling at the time that it wasn’t right. This time my OH jumped up and ran straight to the tower and got our baby back.

We, all three of us huddled together in our bedroom, terrified. We switched the baby monitor off at the wall and eventually went back to sleep with all the lights on…

It was Completely terrifying, but never happened again.

I'm horrified that they didn't run up the FIRST time they heard weird noises coming from their baby's room! They actually waited for it to happen AGAIN!

Also this one -

As teenagers we used to go on all day bike rides during the school holidays.

One summer around 1980 we were riding round some old villages in Northamptonshire and saw this long tree-lined track. We headed off down there and came to this enormous house, partially tumble down, but windows open and you could hear people talking and the occasional shout.

We parked our bikes and tried to look through the gaps between the gate hinges and the stone wall. It looked and sounded like a film was taking place for a filmset. Curious we walked around the place, but it was surrounded by a tall stone wall. At the back was a tall bank covered in bushes with some farm equipment stored next to it so we were able to climb up these and look in. What we saw was truly weird, frightening and bizarre.

The courtyard was marked out like a giant chessboard. People were dotted around this arena being moved about like chess pieces by others who were obviously the players. The 'pieces' were wearing simple clothes, mostly worn or dirty. The players were wearing nice clothes, modern and crisp. None of the 'pieces' looked like they wanted to be there. They were tied up with hands behind their backs, standing in marked out spots. One man was tied up in a kneeling position. Some were crying, shaking and all were very unhappy. One had a very clear nose bleed. One of the players started hitting one of the male 'pieces' with a thick cane. The players were mostly sitting down on deck chairs or sun loungers on one edge of the arena, but one of the 'pieces' had been taken over there and was kneeling down as the players all rested their feet on her.

We felt really uncomfortable and ran back to our bikes. We were about halfway up the long track when we heard a vehicle approaching at speed. We shot down a bank with our bikes and hid among the kek and foliage. A navy blue minibus drove past towards the public road and the next village. We felt we needed to stay there hidden. After about 10 minutes the minibus came back slowly, braking every so often for the driver and passenger to look around. It was obvious now we had been spotted somehow and they were trying to track us down. Eventually we left and headed off home sticking to main roads all the way peddling as hard as we could.

Years later I read about a religious cult in that area that has since been disbanded. There were rumours of bad treatment of members and I always wondered if we had stumbled across the same or similar organisation.

After "snuff movies", "snuff chess". Fascinating.

My older daughter told me she did something that she would never do, but stopped at an old house with a “ estate sale” sign in the front yard.

It seems the lady owner died and their older children were selling the house and contents to raise money.

My daughter told me she still felt the cold presence of the dead mother in the house.

She got fascinated with an old “ Coke-Cola” serving tray, but when she tried to take a cell phone picture of the tray, the picture had a bright spot through the picture.

On the second try, the picture had lines through the picture.

My daughter got spooked and said thank you to the people and left the house.

My older daughter told me she did something that she would never do, but stopped at an old house with a “ estate sale” sign in the front yard.

It seems the lady owner died and their older children were selling the house and contents to raise money.

My daughter told me she still felt the cold presence of the dead mother in the house.

She got fascinated with an old “ Coke-Cola” serving tray, but when she tried to take a cell phone picture of the tray, the picture had a bright spot through the picture.

Like when Escette and I tried to take photos aboard a Spanish sailing ship in Barcelona harbour; several phones and two digital cameras stopped working. They were all fine away from the ship.

Sounds like my attempts to photograph Meg and her Daughters* in Cumbria, either black patches all over or purples lines running throught he middle of the picture.

*the stone circle, not some peculiar journey into voyeurism.

I seems electronics and the paranormal does not mix.

This seems to be the continuing problem on the TV series Skinwalker Ranch as all the electrical equipment seems to fail.

Going back to my daughter in the above post, she was thinking about buying a nice chair, but she did not.

She thought that the chair would bring an evil spirit into her own house.

Would you buy items out of an unknown house ?

I have not, but I am sure people do all the time.

Last edited:
I seems electronics and the paranormal does not mix.

This seems to be the continuing problem on the TV series Skinwalker Ranch as all the electrical equipment seems to fail.

Going back to my daughter in the above post, she was thinking about buying a nice chair, but she did not.

My parents lived for years with antique furniture. Nothing was haunted.

There are not enormous numbers of stories of 'haunted artifacts' and almost none at all about 'evil spirits' attached to second hand items, yet almost everyone has bought second hand at some point. And what about when the whole house is second, third or even fifteenth hand?

So I would put this down to an overactive imagination rather than anything else.

As @catseye pointed out surely we've all bought second hand at some time? I prefer it as a matter of fact. The vast majority of my furnishings are preowned, some from the recent past and some from the last couple of centuries. If I ever come into loads of money I'd really enjoy going to the auctions for some really old stuff! I don't like matching plates so most of my dishes and stuff are charity shop finds. I don't see the problem to be honest.

As @catseye pointed out surely we've all bought second hand at some time? I prefer it as a matter of fact. The vast majority of my furnishings are preowned, some from the recent past and some from the last couple of centuries. If I ever come into loads of money I'd really enjoy going to the auctions for some really old stuff! I don't like matching plates so most of my dishes and stuff are charity shop finds. I don't see the problem to be honest.
I'm also a glutton for antiques... well, I call them antiques, but most of them are junk from house clearances, but calling them antiques sounds better. I live in a 200 year old house, so antiques look better than IKEA anyway.

There are not enormous numbers of stories of 'haunted artifacts' and almost none at all about 'evil spirits' attached to second hand items, yet almost everyone has bought second hand at some point. And what about when the whole house is second, third or even fifteenth hand?

So I would put this down to an overactive imagination rather than anything else.
Who's There? The True Story of a Leeds Haunting by Colette Shires is a creepy read, and the suggestion is that the events were caused by a second-hand artefact that came into the family's possession.

Back