• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
SameOldVardoger said:
I apologised that I was on his sofa and my mate had said it was ok, he said don't worry mate go back to sleep and smiled.

Reminds me of my brother's Ghost Train Station experience. While napping between trains on a remote goods stop, he had a vivid dream about the station as it was about 100-odd years before.

The stationmaster gently reminded him that he was dreaming and sent him back to his camp bed. :lol:

Original Poster!

Hi, I am the original poster, my ID has changed, I am now 62............ (sigh)

I have three tales to tell you, all from a conversation I had two weeks ago with a lady member of my local church in Long Sutton. I had volunteered to help polish the pews etc. although not a Christian.

After we had finished the cleaning, the lady spontaneously told me of three experiences she had had in the Church, her husband was standing beside her and I know them to be a down to earth, open minded couple.

She told me that she had been alone in the Church, in daylight, and had seen the misty white form of a man in what could have been either church robes, or a monk's habit, float down the aisle. She was very specific about there being no 'walking motion'. The church has Medieval parts which were visited by Monks from Castle Acre Priory.

Her second story was that she was cleaning the brasses in the Church, by herself. A woman, visibly distressed, came in and went and sat in one of the side chapels. The lady told me that she was working within sight of the only entrance to the church, and nobody came in, or went out.

She said that the distressed woman came out and on leaving, asked if she knew who that lovely woman was who came and sat beside her, and gave her some words of comfort, it had really helped. She had to tell her that she had been alone in the chapel.

Finally, she was again cleaning and a woman was sitting at the front of the church when she gave out an exclamation of surprise - she looked around for my lady, and asked her "can you see THAT?", pointing to a corner of the church where two arches meet. My lady looked and saw a large, smiling, 'saintly' disembodied face, looking down at them. Then it faded.

Absolutely brilliant stories, just the sort we like. :D

Reminds me of the sort of thing I often came across when working in hospitals and care homes. You never got to the bottom of them. Little mysteries. 8)

escargot1 said:
Absolutely brilliant stories, just the sort we like. :D

Reminds me of the sort of thing I often came across when working in hospitals and care homes. You never got to the bottom of them. Little mysteries. 8)

thanks very much, Escargot, when I was Hypermetropia you and I used to swap nursing tales. I was once spooked by footsteps coming up to the nurses' station in the ultra modern Royal Free Hospital. I put it down to an echo from another ward, until a student class mate reported exactly the same experience when she did her night shifts on the same ward.

Several members of staff (and me) at a residential home I worked at in Lowestoft all reported being woken from their sleep-over by three crashing knocks on the bedroom door. Nobody was on the other side. The only access to the door was across a securely locked office. It was a Victorian building.

It's GREAT to have you back, old friend. :D

Yup, care/nursing establishments're the spookiest places. I rather miss them. ;)

care/nursing establishments're the spookiest places. I rather miss them

I have a friend in Canada who's a nurse and who worked (as did her mother) in care homes. From things she has said, nurses in these places see and hear all sorts of things. Some of them (she said) will automatically open the window when some-one's passed, and the attitude seems to be 'Yes, things happen.'

escargot1 said:

Yup, care/nursing establishments're the spookiest places. I rather miss them. ;)

You don't work in health anymore Escargot?

escargot1 said:

Thank you, remember I once posted a video to you, of a giant French snail getting it's revenge in a restaurant!

I am retired from nursing....... hurrah!

Always read your posts with interest! XXX

Hi, Hypermetropia, original poster here again..

Had a chat with lady who delivered my online shopping today....... she has seen three ghosts, one in a backyard, just a glimpse of a girl with red hair, one of a deceased neighbour, sitting in his usual chair in the window, and the best, a faceless 'Quaker'.

She lived in her childhood in a council house in Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire. Her mother bought an Ouija board and they tried it out a few times. They then became aware of a presence in the house that would hold a door fast, as you tried to open it, only to fling it open when you took your hand off the handle.

A duvet flung itself against the wall, and it was suspended there for a few moments. The sound of a horse galloping was heard outside. Then, everyone in the house, including this lady, saw the tall dark figure of a man with a cloak, and a Quaker style buckled hat with no face.

It became increasingly intrusive, appearing at the foot of beds at night. Slamming doors very noisily. The lady said that she knows the current family who rent the house and the boy of 9 saw it seemingly moving his toy truck around in the lounge. If that is to be believed. Certainly this person had seen him with her own eyes and described the black void where a face should be. He seems to float.

No expert, but it sounds as if they summoned up an impish energy or entity, rather than an actual ghost of a departed 16th Century man.

My niece, who is a responsible lady in her 20s, complained last week of tapping coming from a set of drawers beside her bed at night.

Then, this -

Not loving this house after another sleepless night
Woke up face to face with a blonde haired boy stood by the bed, followed by continuous tapping on my bedside drawers....then heard my daughter "playing" with someone over her monitor, flicked it on to have a look to then see three big orbs fly from around her!

I told her that she is lucky to have a ghost in her house. She is not convinced. :lol:

I've shared this story elsewhere online and in a podcast, but will inflict it on yous here, as well, as I'd love to know what people think.

I'll just start by saying I'm one of nature's cynics and would never have believed this if it hadn't happened to me, etc etc. Cliche but true.

In the early 1970s, my mother died and after just a couple of years my dad remarried. He was about to marry Wife 2, someone he'd known years before, in the War, and as this woman came from the other end of England, we hardly knew her, although dad and Wife 2 took up their romance where they'd left off. She was also widowed and had kids of her own, including one who was exactly my age. As the two the same age, and about to be stepsisters, we were thrown together. Not long before The Wedding, my soon to be stepfamily came to stay for a week or so with us.

The house was full, so my dad slept on the sofa and myself and the girl my age shared my dad's room, with eachother (it was the only double bed). We had very little in common, and like kids often are when thrown together and told you will like eachother - we didn't, particularly.

Our house was part 18thC part 19thC farmhouse, with some new 1950s bits built on the back where part of the original house had fallen down after my parents bought it.

The room we were to sleep in was in the 'new' part of the house (remodelled before I was born but still seemed very modern upto the rest of the house). The house had an unaccountable voice, a miserable old (male) git, my brother and I sometimes heard in the afternoons, upstairs. Never sure where it was coming from and we had no male neighbours and in any case the walls were several foot thick. We were used to it, as we never actually saw anything, and had grown up with it.

We didn't want to make a bad impression of these strangers who would soon be our stepfamily and sharing our house. So we didn't say anything.

I felt utterly safe in that room as it was so unspooky and modern compared to the rest of the house. I'd probably slept in it as a baby. A short while before my grandad, then my mother had died in the room. But they were much loved people and so it held no particular fear for me to sleep in it (in fact my bedroom was the one where we most often had heard the weird old man's voice, although it never seemed to be coming from within the room... so I had more reason to be scared in my own room, than dad's room).

Anyway a day or so into the visit, my future stepsister and I went to bed (we were about 12) and she appeared to be asleep. Apropos of nothing, I saw an elderly man, hovering a couple of foot in the air, appearing to be sat down but no seat visible, and looking down at his hands like he was doing something, but again, whatever it was also not visible. He was so close to me and on my side of the bed, I could almost have reached out and touched him. He was 'in colour' (at a time our TV still wasn't!) but not solid. I could see right through him - he looked to be made up of pinpricks of light, and I remember vividly thinking he reminded me of a picture in a comic - coloured dots.

I was so terrified, I didn't dare move for I don't know how long. Literally frozen. Even pulling the covers over my head might alert him to my being there, although I could see he was utterly unaware of my presence, and still focused on the thing he was making. He had a beard, was elderly, and dressed in a way I'd now recognise as 19thC farm labourer or a rough looking farmer. After I dunno how long, I turned suddenly to face the other way so I didnt have to look at him any longer, and in the process of turning, banged my head on the metal bars of the bedhead. Which is how I know I wasn't asleep - as it would have woken me up, it hurt so much and the next day I had a bruise.

I told no-one but my dad. He was an arch sceptic and I expected him to laugh but amazingly, he told me something I now recognise as the Stone Tapes theory. That maybe old houses recorded memories. He did seem to believe me. Although years later told me in the 30 odd years he lived there he never experienced a thing. (I'm not sure that was the truth :lol: )

He was maybe convinced by the fact what I saw was several foot in the air, and he told me something I'd no way of knowing, that the original floor level of that room before remodelling was indeed, a couple of foot higher than the room as I knew it.

I didn't tell my prospective stepfamily, not one of them - the girl and I were never going to be best mates and I already disliked the woman who was to be my stepmother. I could sense she was waiting for a reason to dislike me or brand me as 'nuts'. I didn't want to be thought mad. And so I convinced myself, down the years, it had been a dream (despite the bruise) and nothing more. I did tell my husband about it though and some fiends, years later after I had left the village.

Fifteen years or so later my stepsister moved to the same city where I was living, well over 100 miles away.

We went out for a meal together, with her partner and mine one night. And not long after we sat down, she said to me:
"Remember that week we came to stay with you before mum and your dad married?"
I did.
"Well, remember we were in your dad's bedroom that week?"
Indeed.
"I didn't want to tell you then as we hardly knew eachother and I thought you'd think I was nuts, but... one night, it must have been that week as that was the only week we ever slept in that room, I was awake in the middle of the night and saw...."
Yes. You've guessed it. A Victorian farm labourer, floating in the air, a metre or less from the bed, appearing to be seated ...

My husband, hearing this, nearly passed out as he'd heard me tell the same story for years... I was glad she told me first as I'd never believed it had I told her and she'd said "Oh I saw that too!"

There is a sort of codicil to this.

Years later, my now grown up and moved away stepsister and her partner, and some other people were staying at the house.

Stepsister's partner was on the 2nd storey of the house. The other guests on the first.

In the middle of the night, (I think they said around 2am?) he was woken by the sound of an old, and furious person screaming obscenities and abuse out in the street and braying on the front door. The odd thing being, it sounded like the door was not central but slightly to one side. He couldn't believe the abusive screaming wasn't waking the entire street.

Everyone else seemed to sleep through it.

The next day, one of the other guests from a totally different floor of the house said at breakfast "Did anyone hear that old man shouting at the door out in the street last night?"

A while after this, in the 1990s, the house was sold and to improve its look, my dad stripped off the hideous pebbledash that had been on the front of the house from before he bought it. And there was the original door lintel, just to the right (if you looked from the outside) of the door as we'd always known it. Even dad had never known. The original front door? Where the guests had heard the noise.

Finally, one last piece of the jigsaw. Around 2000 I moved back to my village. There was an exhibition of previously unknown Victorian photos of the village. One photo showed the lane where our house was, at the time it was still a farm.

Outside the front door? An elderly bearded man in farm labourer's clothing. Feck me, I nearly fainted.

As a genealogist I have searched the 19thC newspapers and the censuses and can't pin down who that man was, at all (even late 19thC censuses didn't give house numbers for that lane).

A very interesting story no doubt, Ghost. Would you have a Google maps link to the house? I'd be great to be able to have a look at it.

Epicurean1 said:
A very interesting story no doubt, Ghost. Would you have a Google maps link to the house? I'd be great to be able to have a look at it.

No way! He sold it in the 1990s. I have no idea who lives there now - he sold it to a solicitor who was moving up to Yorkshire from London, moved away to the Midlands himself so never saw the buyers or heard from them again after he left. By that time I was also in the Midlands. I have since moved back to Yorkshire and lived about 10 miles from this house.

I can't tell you how many times I have longed to knock on the door and ask them if they have had any experiences, whoever lives there now (and it may have been sold on since the 1990s, I guess). But I'd look like a mad person. I have seriously considered writing a book about hauntings in the area just to have an excuse to put out an ad/notices locally, to see if whoever lives there responds.

My feeling always was, I was never sure if dad wasn't lying about seeing and hearing nothing in his 30 plus years there. As everyone else heard something, and two of us at least saw something.

It was so extreme I find it hard to believe anyone could not have heard it, at least... But as I say the night he was shouting out in the street at the 'front door' - the two people (on different floors of the house, and who barely knew eachother) who heard it couldn't believe everyone else slept through it. Or that no neighbours complained.

But maybe if my dad really did have no experiences, other people could, too? My husband heard this story many times before he heard my stepsister recount the identical story. And her partner had heard her recount it many times before I corroborated that I'd seen it too.

I do recall that in the last year or two we lived there, my stepsister and I (both went to uni and never returned), it quietened down or at least no-one heard anything on the first storey any more. Weird things would happen (once when I was about 15 every single clock ad watch in the house stopped at the same time, 3 something am).

:shock:

But no abuse or physical manifestation. But the incident with the houseguests happened years after we moved out. So things must have happened sporadically. I would seriously give my eye teeth to find out if the current owners have experienced anything. Interestingly, the house opposite (also an old converted farmhouse) also had a lot of weird things happen in it, but then also, outsiders bought it and we never heard and no-one dared ask if it continued there, too.

The floaty ghost sounds pretty harmless, if unnerving, but the shouty one might not be the same spectre, since he sounds a lot more threatening, if only threatening to disrupt your sleep.

GhostInTheMachine said:
Epicurean1 said:

No way! He sold it in the 1990s. I have no idea who lives there now - he sold it to a solicitor who was moving up to Yorkshire from London, moved away to the Midlands himself so never saw the buyers or heard from them again after he left. By that time I was also in the Midlands. I have since moved back to Yorkshire and lived about 10 miles from this house.

I can't tell you how many times I have longed to knock on the door and ask them if they have had any experiences, whoever lives there now (and it may have been sold on since the 1990s, I guess). But I'd look like a mad person. I have seriously considered writing a book about hauntings in the area just to have an excuse to put out an ad/notices locally, to see if whoever lives there responds.

My feeling always was, I was never sure if dad wasn't lying about seeing and hearing nothing in his 30 plus years there. As everyone else heard something, and two of us at least saw something.

It was so extreme I find it hard to believe anyone could not have heard it, at least... But as I say the night he was shouting out in the street at the 'front door' - the two people (on different floors of the house, and who barely knew eachother) who heard it couldn't believe everyone else slept through it. Or that no neighbours complained.

But maybe if my dad really did have no experiences, other people could, too? My husband heard this story many times before he heard my stepsister recount the identical story. And her partner had heard her recount it many times before I corroborated that I'd seen it too.

I do recall that in the last year or two we lived there, my stepsister and I (both went to uni and never returned), it quietened down or at least no-one heard anything on the first storey any more. Weird things would happen (once when I was about 15 every single clock ad watch in the house stopped at the same time, 3 something am).

:shock:

But no abuse or physical manifestation. But the incident with the houseguests happened years after we moved out. So things must have happened sporadically. I would seriously give my eye teeth to find out if the current owners have experienced anything. Interestingly, the house opposite (also an old converted farmhouse) also had a lot of weird things happen in it, but then also, outsiders bought it and we never heard and no-one dared ask if it continued there, too.

Just go for it! What harm can it do? Put up a few notices, knock on a few doors. If nothing comes of it, you'll be no worse off and if you do get some interesting stories, so much the better. :)

gncxx said:
The floaty ghost sounds pretty harmless, if unnerving, but the shouty one might not be the same spectre, since he sounds a lot more threatening, if only threatening to disrupt your sleep.

Floaty and Shouty sound like weird dwarves. :D

You know, odd as it sound, has never even occurred to me Floaty n Shouty might be different old blokes. It's perfectly possible though.

Once, at school, someone asked me if I lived in 'the haunted house'. A bit taken aback, I asked them which house they meant and sure enough, they named it. I asked them what ghost stories they'd heard and they said "It's the one haunted by the ghost of an old lady in one of the downstairs rooms." Apparently 'everyone' had heard about it. News to me. No-one ever saw or heard a floaty or shouty old lady. :)

Does a facilities manager at No10 Downing Street count as an everyday person? I found a ghost story on gov.uk!

https://history.blog.gov.uk/2013/10/31/ ... number-10/

I’m David and I work in Facilities Management. I joined Number 10 in the year 2000 and I would normally describe myself as someone who doesn’t believe in the supernatural but this is what happened in the Small Dining Room, shortly after I started.

We were doing a recruitment exercise for a new member of staff and I had booked the Small Dining Room to do that interview.

I arrived very early, about six o’clock in the morning and rather than going straight to my office I walked up to the dining room just to check the table and chairs were positioned correctly.

The early hour meant the room was in total darkness. With no natural light coming from the windows and that I hadn’t switched the electric lights on inside the room I was reliant on the wash of light from behind me in the service corridor and just stuck my head in the room.

I was immediately conscious of some light from underneath the doors that go through to the State Dining Room and knowing we’d had a couple of incidents of lights being left on overnight I moved into the room to check this.

As I crossed the small dining room to the two large doors that open up into the State Dining Room I passed the end of the table, and absolutely jumped out of my skin because someone walked past me! I’m talking about a space of a couple of feet, but because of the darkness I hadn’t seen the person. On spinning round, the light from the door I had entered through showed I was on my own.

What really got my attention was that I heard the sound of a taffeta dress moving/rustling, and without wishing to sound dramatic, definitely felt a presence. Nothing malicious, or otherwise, but it definitely felt like someone was with me.

So, about 2 hours later, I was joined by one of my colleagues and still buzzing with the earlier experience related this to him, to which he said,

"Oh, you have seen the ghost"

and I responded,

"Yeah right! What ghost?"

He then proceeded to tell me that there is a lady in a white ball-gown who goes between the State Dining Room and the Pillared Room!

With the short period of time I had worked at Number 10, this was news to me, and as I said, I’m the kind of person is sceptical of this kind of thing without some kind of evidence.

Except that it happened to me!

I can’t explain it.

It’s something I don’t often relate to people because it still sends shivers up my spine.

Since then I’ve read up in a few London ghost books, it’s all mentioned, so maybe, just maybe, I’ve met the Lady in White!

The following week, I made a point of coming down to the state rooms after evening receptions when the lights were off, to try and re-create the moment, and, here I am, thirteen years later and, I haven’t had any further contact.

Thanks for that - I hope we don't have to sign the Official Secrets Act to find out her identity. Anyone have a clue?

On R4 - Shared Experience: I Saw a Ghost

I Saw a Ghost
Series 1 Episode 1 of 4

Shared Experience is a new series. Fi Glover and guests sit round a kitchen table to share strange tales that turn out to be unexpectedly common. In the first programme Fi talks to people who've seen a ghost. Fi's guests have come from different places, with different backgrounds; they live very different lives. But they have one experience they all share - the day they saw a ghost and what happened to them after. In Britain, strange tales are more common than you think.

This was first broadcast on Tuesday 17 December 2013 and I believe I posted the details back then too. ;)

There's a free download if anyone's interested. :D

I love ghosts. 8)

Seeing as I'm in a 'fess up' state of mind...

I saw a ghost of my mother, shortly after she died.

I was six at the time.

Now, as an adult, I can rationalize that as a wish moment, in that I wished she wasn't dead, I was a child, blah blah, but I saw her.

For a long time it was a comfort to me, in that there was something after death. The Christian upbringing I received and schooling reinforced that.

As an adult, I try to dismiss the event.

But it was SO real. Her smell, a mixture of Charlie and hospital disinfectant, her voice (she said "go to sleep", softly), everything that was familiar to me.

One of my Aunt's often told a story of seeing her dead father tell her that she should wake her son, when she went into his room, she could smell gas...it turned out that there was a gas leak, she took her son out of his room, he didn't die, her father came from 'beyond' to save her son.

So, I have every reason to believe in ghosts and that there's something 'after'.

I struggle though. Because I can see that Coincidence and Longing have played their part.

Anyone else think 'but what if?'

Cultjunky said:
Seeing as I'm in a 'fess up' state of mind...

I saw a ghost of my mother, shortly after she died.

I was six at the time.

Now, as an adult, I can rationalize that as a wish moment, in that I wished she wasn't dead, I was a child, blah blah, but I saw her.

For a long time it was a comfort to me, in that there was something after death. The Christian upbringing I received and schooling reinforced that.

As an adult, I try to dismiss the event.

But it was SO real. Her smell, a mixture of Charlie and hospital disinfectant, her voice (she said "go to sleep", softly), everything that was familiar to me.

One of my Aunt's often told a story of seeing her dead father tell her that she should wake her son, when she went into his room, she could smell gas...it turned out that there was a gas leak, she took her son out of his room, he didn't die, her father came from 'beyond' to save her son.

So, I have every reason to believe in ghosts and that there's something 'after'.

I struggle though. Because I can see that Coincidence and Longing have played their part.

I don't believe in an afterlife, but last year shortly before and after my wedding two things happened that made me wonder. They were both clearly coincidence but were strange enough to, at the time, make me think twice.

First we were at an Indian restaurant and one of the waiters, an Indian man with a Scottish accent, had the exact same tone of voice as my late father. Spoke just like him. I wasn't particularly close to him and don't talk about him much to my wife, but in this instance I mentioned to her how much his voice was the same as that of my father. Next time he came to our table he forgot to bring part of our order and so came back again a few minutes later and apologised for forgetting. As he walked away he stopped, turned back and said as way of justifying his forgetfulness "I'm just getting old...". Which were the exact same last words my father said to me the last time I saw him before he died. :shock:

Secondly, shortly after our wedding we passed the cemetery where my grandparents on my mum's side are buried. My wife still had her corsage and not having done anything else with it she suggested we leave it on their grave. It was a grey, cloudy day and there was spits of rain in the air. We parked up, found the grave and placed the flowers on. They didn't quite sit right so she leaned down and straightened them up nice and neatly. At that exact moment as she stepped back the clouds just parted and bright, warm sunshine filled the cemetery. We both just looked at each other as tears streamed down our cheeks. Within a few minutes the clouds closed up and the day returned to the miserable grey skies.

Both coincidences, of course, but in both cases spookily-timed enough to feel that some kind of message from beyond was being sent to us. I still don't believe in an afterlife but I do interpret those two instances as being little reminders from those no longer with us. It is a comforting thought, even if deep down I know it was just two well-timed coincidences.

McAvennie_ said:
"I'm just getting old...". Which were the exact same last words my father said to me the last time I saw him before he died. :shock:

I can only apologise for my insensitivity, McAvennie, and I am sorry for the loss of your father when you're clearly still very young to lose a parent, but when I first read this, my first thought was that your dad had a knack for understatement. :oops:

Cultjunky said:

I'm very skeptical of life after death. I don't see any reason for it, if you know what I mean. Why do we have brains if we have souls constantly attached to our bodies that are capable of perception and contain all of our knowledge? Where do these souls reside? Other dimensions? From what are they made? Why would ghosts return to the living? Why do murder victims not always return to grass on those who murdered them? Why do spirits never return to sort business out properly? Instead they content themselves by whispering to psychics, "I've got a message for someone whose name begins with 'J'". None of it makes sense.

But there is a lot of anecdotal evidence, across cultures and centuries, and I don't hold with the dictum, 'The plural of anecdote is not data'. All things are data, and we just need to understand how to assess it. In the case of ghosts, I generally think assuming it tells us something about human perception is most likely. But I've had some weird experiences in the past, which have at the very least stretched my faith in the materialistic, and yes, I've have and still frequently do ask, "but what if?"

I think you have a very healthy attitude. In all likelihood, you didn't see a ghost, your perceptions where faulty, subjective, wish fulfilling. But that makes for a lot of people who have had that same kind of experience. We'd be dismissing a lot of anecdotal evidence to reduce it all to misperception and wishful thinking.

PeteByrdie said:
I'm very skeptical of life after death. I don't see any reason for it, if you know what I mean. Why do we have brains if we have souls constantly attached to our bodies that are capable of perception and contain all of our knowledge? Where do these souls reside? Other dimensions? From what are they made? Why would ghosts return to the living? Why do murder victims not always return to grass on those who murdered them? Why do spirits never return to sort business out properly? Instead they content themselves by whispering to psychics, "I've got a message for someone whose name begins with 'J'". None of it makes sense.

Ever played a first person shooter game? Or The Sims?
Maybe that's what 'life' is. Perhaps these meat-based bodies are avatars...

What if?

Mythopoeika said:
PeteByrdie said:

Ever played a first person shooter game? Or The Sims?
Maybe that's what 'life' is. Perhaps these meat-based bodies are avatars...

What if?

Well, exactly! There are always ways to explain away the arguments against a higher form of existence. Many for whom scientific approaches are enough would say those things cannot be proven to be true, at least as yet, and proving them false is not necessary as it's impossible to prove a negative. That's fine if pure scientific method is enough for someone. But science isn't there to teach us only to think in terms of scientific method. It's there to tell us what can be shown to be most likely true according to scientific method. Beyond that, anything we want to wonder about, daydream about, write fiction about, or just think likely according to our own experiences, is up to us, as individuals.

I am inclined to believe that CJ did see the spirit of her mum, when my little sister died i was totally destroyed, i was longing for a sign that she was okay, that she was still around, but of course i didn't see anything, which leads to think that there is more than wishful thinking or coincidence behind visions of the newly dead.
it seems perfectly possible to me that CJ's mum went to have one last look at her daughter before she went off where ever.Of Course thats not a logical thing to believe , but sod it, sometimes i would rather take hope then logic. :)

Way, way back near the start of this thread someone mentioned an American vehicle timeslip story that they'd read. I haven't read right the way through all the above posts so don't know if a link to the story has already been provided, but thought that I'd post a link to the original story; as it appeared in 'Strange Magazine' - here!

ETA: It was
AtomicBadger
who first mentioned this story.

Ah, I now see that Atomic Badgeer did find the source - so the above post is redundant. :frust:

I've always loved that account. Not only do we have three witnesses; but one was seemingly unacquainted with the other two prior to the incident and saw the phenomenon from a different vantage point.

If only they had got the licence number of the car!

Ah, I now see that Atomic Badgeer did find the source - so the above post is redundant. :frust: ...

Don't fret about it ... In this case, redundancy is helpful.

One of the problems with larger / older Web forums is that late-comers don't know (and rarely search for ... ) what's already been posted and / or discussed. Later updates - even if they are redundant - serve as reminders to veterans and cues to later arrivals.

Apologies for this tale being third-hand and lacking in detail. Still, I offer it, for what its worth.

In the post-WWII period my widowed great-grandmother, Christiana, lived with her daughter and son-in-law. She was in reasonable health but had a problem with migraines.

Eventually Christiana died of old age. At some point my grandparents sold the house in Hull.

Subsequently my grandmother bumped into the new owners. They were reasonably happy there but asked if she'd ever seen the ghost.

Her reply was something like, "No! What ghost?"

Apparently the ghost of a woman clutching her head had been seen, more than once.

Sorry folks that I can't give you more: dates, address etc.

My Mum as a child used to have to give up her bedroom when the family had visitors. Years later my Grandma told her that two visitors had quietly told her that they had seen the figure of an old woman in the room at the bottom of the bed. Neither knew each other. My Mum has never seen a ghost and doesn't believe in them.

Back