• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
titch........to be absolutely sure about the hidden tool / equipment I cant & if truth be told there was 4-5 lads & one girl working at this site & we used to have a laugh, taking the P*ss & also playing pranks on each other. However there was a time & place for this & you sometimes know when some people you work with are telling the truth or not & I can say in this instance that when Bill was asked about the tool he had not took it.

But these are signs of general Poltergiest activity. We had the feelings of being watched, we had the hair on the back of our necks stand up etc, the general noises & footsteps & then of course the shadows & then the `sightings` by bill & the rest of the team.

Im one of those that i like the `idea` of ghosts existing & ive had some experiences i cannot explain, but I have never seen a fully fledged spook.

The only thing i can really go on is when i first started, the office was warm & friendly & no hint of anything supernatural, for the first few months, i picked up on noises & feelings & kept note, but just put them at the back of my mind, then when i did mention them to Pat she confirmed what she had felt & heard & Pat was the sort of person who wouldnt agree with you if she didnt, she would be the type of person to say, shut up & stop being silly, but her own accounts matched mine & other people working there.

Just thought id post what happened today.
i've been taking down a tree which was tall-(as a house)-and needed the root basin digging out aswell- quite a big job.
Anyway started off with digging around the roots so they could be chopped and then winched it down.
Once it was down we took it apart for firewood.
While the brash was being cut from the main trunks i was working on the root basin, chopping them to try and make it a manageable weight for shifting. All the time this i was doing this i kept noticing, out of the corner of my eye, a man standing by the trailer just watching. This would be about 10 ft away from where i was working.It seemed as though he was dressed in a white shirt with a jacket of some description and a flat cap. It made me jump a couple of times and then i just got on with root chopping, but kept seeing him for as long as i was chopping and digging-about an hour or so.
Just got me to thinking-the tree wasnt that old (it was a leylandii), the house owner is quite an aged gent and he was on holiday, the house is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Just a bored observer?
Dont know but after i'd finished on the roots and we'd started loading the wood, i didnt see him again.
Just to clarify this wasnt an actual flesh and blood bored observer :) and i could only see him when i wasnt looking directly.

Can you be sure it wasn't an object that could be mistaken for a ghostly figure when seen by the corner of your eye?

i would say 100% percent sure. The figure stood about 10 ft away from where i was working at the very corner of back of the trailer which we had parked there when we started with the tree and it was on the edge of a driveway, so just grass running up to a gravelly strip, The only tree around was the one we'd just pulled down, no hedges just a few daffodills and bluebells keeping out the way, all open ground with just the trailer parked there.

I find story's like this more interesting and convincing then tales of ghosthunters and mediums wondering through a dark tunnel in a castle at the dead of night.

What should be an ordinary working day transformed by something so out of the ordinary and unlooked for.

titch said:
I find story's like this more interesting and convincing then tales of ghosthunters and mediums wondering through a dark tunnel in a castle at the dead of night.

What should be an ordinary working day transformed by something so out of the ordinary and unlooked for.

Yes indeed! Me too! My stories are all about people not looking for ghosts, but seeing something 'unearthly'.

Does Cate Blanchett count as an ordinary person? She was on The Graham Norton Show last Friday and told a story about how she had been living in a room as a student which she found out by watching Australia's Most Wanted had been the scene of a recent murder. Hell of a way to find out!

After that she became sure she'd see a ghost, but nothing ever happened... until she was ready to leave, alone in the house, and as she looked at the room one last time and closed the door she clearly heard someone say "Cate..."

So the moral is, remember well your ghostly experiences, for one day you may be recounting them as a colourful anecdote on a chat show.

A friend who runs a local website has told me of a lady who used to work at the Moor Hospital, Lancaster, (I tried to find a thread on it but couldn't trace it). It was the local psychiatric hospital that is now closed, with no access to anyone). She used to be a librarian up there and took some photos last week. She claims that there are faces in the windows. Apart from one or two security guards, the entire building is empty (its unsafe). He has forwarded her my e-mail address, but I have had no reply yet.

I will pop up there this Monday (if its dry) and take a few photo's, concentrating on the windows. Will let you know if I get anything.

Oh yup, get up there and bring us some snaps! :D

I once took my kids to a famously haunted house. We were definitely the last visitors and the person at the desk asked us to let them know when we left so they could lock up.

As we left I dropped in to tell them, but my son, aged about 10, said 'No, we weren't the last, there was someone watching us from the window when we were playing in the garden!'

But we WERE the last people, nobody was behind us. :shock:
The staff were baffled.

We'd taken loads of snaps but alas, no ghosts showed up.

I hope this lady counts as an 'ordinary person'. She's a journo on my local newspaper who had her own ghostly experience recently:

...the key to my enjoyment of the world of the strange is comfort. When drawing aside the misty veil I like to be at home on the sofa with a book or lolling on a well-sprung hotel mattress with the TV zapper in my hand.

What I don’t like is being completely alone in the office after hours and trapped in a pitch-black lobby while someone or something on the other side of the door holds the knob so that it can’t turn.

This happened to me last week, and I still can’t work out whether it was a genuine ghostly occurrence or an innocent structural anomaly in a creaky old building.

I’ll tell you what happened and then perhaps you can tell me what you think.

First some basics.

I work in a very old office in London. The current building dates from the early 18th century, but it stands on the site of one of London’s medieval priory churches. In our basement - more of that later - you can still see corbels from the original ecclesiastical building.

In common with many old buildings, my office certainly has a distinctive atmosphere and, in the past, there have been mutterings about the possibility of it being haunted. Just occasionally colleagues have mentioned experiencing the unsettling feeling on entering an empty room that someone has recently ‘been’ there. And, interestingly, our evening cleaner no longer brings her youngest son because he says he is ‘frightened’ of the staircases.

I can honestly say that I never felt any of this… until last week.

It was a dreary Tuesday evening and I was working late. I was the last person in the office when I finally made my way down to the post room in the basement to frank a couple of letters.

On my way back upstairs to the front door (where I’d left my coat and bag) I noticed that the light in the lower basement corridor was still on, so, being a good environmentally-friendly employee I went down again to turn it off.

The first strange thing happened as I made my way upstairs again. The light on the top landing went off just as I reached the middle of the flight, leaving me in complete blackness. This was odd because the emergency light should have been on.

I didn’t think about it much, though, because I knew there were only five or six steps up to an inner lobby that led out to the entrance hall where I‘d left my coat and bag.

When I got to the lobby, however, and reached out in the dark for the door knob I found that I couldn’t move it. Try as I might, I couldn’t turn the knob or open the door. I fumbled around in the small pitch-black space and scrabbled up the wall to find the light switch. Instead, I kept knocking the fire alarm and at one point I tripped over the top step leading back down to the darkness of the basement.

I’ll admit I began to panic a bit. I was trapped in the smallest space in the deserted building and my mobile phone was in my handbag on the other side of the door.

Blindly I felt for the door knob again and when I found it, once again it refused to budge. And - here’s the odd thing - like a couple of my colleagues I had the strangest and strongest feeling that there was someone on the other side of the door, playing a game with me.

By this time I was feeling slightly hysterical, but I made myself stop, let go of the door knob, take a deep breath and think.

Of course! - the lobby had two doors - the one behind me opening out to the even smaller inner lobby leading out to the yard. And that tiny space had a window.

I turned and opened the other door easily. As daylight flooded into my stygian box, the door I’d been tugging at so desperately simply clicked open and swung soundlessly towards me.

No one was there.

At the very same moment, the electric light over the basement stairs fizzed and came on again.

Even though my hands were shaking, I don’t think anyone’s ever done the ‘lock up and leave’ drill as fast as me. I was on the Number 8 bus en route to City Thameslink faster than Yvette Fielding can say, “Is there anyone here with us, Derek?”

Frankly, that’s a question I didn’t want anyone to answer last Tuesday. One thing I’m quite clear about now is that I prefer my ghostly experiences to be entirely fictional.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/c ... espondent/

Why cant things like that happen to me????? what a superb story, i hope ist not made up. :D

Staticgirl - that was creepy! Thanks for posting!

'ordinary person' - wish I had not used that term! It has come back to 'haunt' me!

I have a stiff knob story too .... (pardon?)

I used to live in a Middle floor flat in a converted Victorian Merchant's Villa in Clevedon, near Bristol.

Not long after I moved in, I felt there was something hanging about the corner of the large lounge. I had noted the acrid smell of tobacco in the corner near the door, nobody in the building smoked. I also could feel that prickly sensation sitting with my back to the lounge door, that someone was standing behind my chair. It was so marked I took to sitting in the chair facing the door. One day I went to leave the lounge and the original brass door knob would not turn. I twisted, rattled it, usual sweaty hand panic. I gave up in distress and walked to the window to think of what I was going to do. I was planning to shout for attention. I walked back to the door for one last try, and it opened with one turn, as usual.

What was of interest to me, was that the Victorian door was not in its original position in the room. The room had had a slice taken off one side to make an entrance hall in the 1930's. Perhaps the original owner, an Indian Merchant, had not approved of the house being turned into appartments and was showing his distaste. Or maybe the handle just got stuck!

I visited my mum at her house this evening and she casually mentioned that she'd "seen a ghost in the garden earlier". I asked a few questions and it seems she had been pottering about weeding a border and gradually began to feel like she was being watched. She turned round and saw what she described as "an old man in overalls and a flat cap" standing at the corner of the house, on the path next to the shed and looking at her "with a blank expression". She was about to ask him how he'd got into her garden when he vanished. Although he had appeared as solid as you or I, he was simply there one moment and gone the next. I asked if she'd ever seen or felt anything like it before but apparently not. I certainly never experienced anything odd when I still lived there. My mum is a very ordinary person, she works for the police and has never spoken to me about anything even vaguely Fortean before so I was impressed by her sincerity when telling me about this.

Ronnor said:
I visited my mum at her house this evening and she casually mentioned that she'd "seen a ghost in the garden earlier". I asked a few questions and it seems she had been pottering about weeding a border and gradually began to feel like she was being watched. She turned round and saw what she described as "an old man in overalls and a flat cap" standing at the corner of the house, on the path next to the shed and looking at her "with a blank expression". She was about to ask him how he'd got into her garden when he vanished. Although he had appeared as solid as you or I, he was simply there one moment and gone the next. I asked if she'd ever seen or felt anything like it before but apparently not. I certainly never experienced anything odd when I still lived there. My mum is a very ordinary person, she works for the police and has never spoken to me about anything even vaguely Fortean before so I was impressed by her sincerity when telling me about this.

That's a great story, some say that ghosts are just a kind of recording of past events. I am not so sure all of them are! I distinctly felt I was being watched in my Victorian flat, this was backed up by a mature female friend who was having tea with me in the lounge. She sat in the 'hot' spot. I had never told her about my sensation, for fear of ridicule. She gave a shudder and said 'someone's just walked over my grave' - she'd suddenly felt intensely cold.

Your mum felt someone was watching her, I think whatever ghosts are, they are sometimes aware of us. A few of the stories I have heard seem to show that if we disturb a house, the previous owners become unsettled and make themselves known to us.

When I was renovating a late 1930's house I was working in the downstairs toilet, ripping it apart, ceiling, floor, the lot. After the day's work I always did a thorough clean up. One morning I came down and right in the middle of the floor was a clean 1936 silver 3 pence coin.

Quote:

'One morning I came down and right in the middle of the floor was a clean 1936 silver 3 pence coin.'

Excellent. Although things seem to go missing oft times, never to reappear, i've never been granted an apport :( just to balance things up. (No doubt all my stuff is sitting in some incorporeal holding bay).
What you say about being noticedthough, i've thought about this aspect before, i've seen ghosts as you say that are merely a recording or replay of some kind, but i've also seen at least one that's definitely noticed me as i noticed him (and been just as surprised if his expression was anything to go by).

Hello everyone,
I've been a long time lurker on this forum under a different username, but have never been able to post for some reason. Now I have re-registered and have been approved, so I will celebrate by sharing my mother's ghostly experience with you all...

It was the early 1980s in a Victorian terraced house in the Welsh valleys. I lived there with my parents, being about 6 years old at the time.

My Mum was at home alone, working in the kitchen, at the back of the house. The kitchen worktop went across the room as a sort of 'breakfast bar', affording anyone standing there a view through the open door into the hallway, all the way to the front door.

She remembers looking through the open door and seeing a man in a grey suit. He turned into the hallway as if he had just come down the stairs, crossed the hall and went through the door into the living room. This only took a couple of seconds.

My Mum didn't really react. She said that it seemed "very natural" and it was only a moment or so later when her logical mind kicked in that she wondered what on earth was going on. She went to investigate and found the living room well and truly empty (the only exit was back out into the hall). The living room door was also shut, so whatever she had seen had obviously just passed through it.

She shared the tale with my father, who is the world's most sceptical man and, true to form, dismissed it out of hand. However a few days later she got talking to the old woman who lived a few doors up from us and who had lived in that street for many years. My Mum has always had a very visual memory and so she was able to recall what she had seen in a certain amount of detail. The old lady smiled.

"That would be Mr Jones," she said.

Apparently Mr Jones had lived in our house in the fifties, and had loved the place. It seemed no stretch of the imagination to our elderly neighbour that he might still be pottering about the place, if it took his fancy.

Now, I only got to hear about this tale a few years after we left Wales, as my Mum quite wisely chose not to tell her very imaginative little boy about the ghost in his house for fear of many sleepless nights. However the story has never changed with each re-telling and what sticks with me is the lack of fear - the ghost just seemed like it fitted in perfectly with its surroundings, which, if it really were Mr Jones, then perhaps it did.

Incidentally, by an accident of social networking, I am actually Facebook friends with the woman who now lives in that self-same house. I've often wondered if she's experienced anything similar, but I've so far not discovered a way to ask her about paranormal goings on in the house without risking giving her sleepless nights too! Maybe Mr Jones has already paid her a visit...

Get on there NOW and grill her! Enquiring minds need to know! :lol:

I agree! To avoid scaring her, and to better ensure that you don't influence the answer with your question, don't specifically ask about the house. Just ask if she's ever had any paranormal or spooky experiences at all.

Just a small thing that i thought i'd share:
As far as things mysterious go it's been rather quiet of late, a couple of trivial (if annoying) vanishings and things appearing where they shouldn't be, until the other day when in an unusally quiet house i was sitting rushing to finish an assignment. I had been writing for about an hour having sent the dog to his bed for hassling me when i decided to make coffee and stood up to go into the kitchen. There directly next to where i sat, but on the floor obscured by the end of the sofa, was the dog's sheepskin. This lies in his bed (with him on top of it generally) and had no reason to be where it was.
Later on that evening i was still sitting writing but by now the kids had come back from their various haunts, one of the twins came and stood next to me looking a bit non-plussed. i asked her what the matter was and she replied that 'a wind has just pushed me down the stairs'.
After checking she was ok,nothing broken or hanging off, i asked her what she meant, if she hadnt just lost her footing. She said no-it was a wind and had pushed her in the middle of her back. She hadn't fell helter-skelter, more sort of carpet surfed down a few steps to the bottom spiral. It was obvious she didnt want to dwell on it then so i dropped it.
The last post (ish) i made was after i had been tipped up and over-balanced while lighting the fire and this has me wondering-in a vaguely worried sort of way. :confused:

I'd call in the man with the holy water, if I were you. Or something.

The dog's sheepskin could have got there as a result of the dog dragging it there, with you being so engrossed in your work that you didn't notice.

i wouldn't be worried , if whatever in your house had the intent , power and means to hurt you that it would have.And i suppose knowing what's in your house, you should be careful not to lay the blame for normal trips and falls at its door.

well thanks :)
i did wonder whether he could or would have dragged the sheepskin through. It would be completely out of character, unprecedented even, and i reckon i would have noticed his re-appearance after being banished to his bed no maatter how enthralled i was. Anyway obviously not impossible, and no way to prove it either way.
As for the rest i just tend to let it get on with it, it's been here longer than i have and apart from these last couple of times it's been fairly inconsequential, annoying, unexpected but no worries really. Sort of managed to keep it from the youngers till now tho, and would prefer to keep it that way. At least for a couple more years.

Here's a short story found on Daily Mail:

They exist, wasn't a believer until stayed round a work colleagues after a work bash on his sofa in his mums house. Woke up in the middle of the night as his dog woke me as his tail was wagging in my face. The reason, his dad was sitting in the chair opposite and was stroking the dog. I apologised that I was on his sofa and my mate had said it was ok, he said don't worry mate go back to sleep and smiled. Next morning said to my work friend that I hope your dad didn't mind I was on your sofa he looked a bit weird and asked why did I say that, I explained the guy on the chair opposite and described him, he went white! His dad had died 2 years earlier, that was his chair and he used to sneak down at night to have a crafty cigarette in it! So yeah they do exist in my opinion without a doubt. Wether they can be photographed or not I don't know.

- Syntax error, England, 15/8/2012 13:53

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z23eJe5Zkm

SameOldVardoger said:
One of the photos on that page has the caption:
"This woman was visiting the Fleet Air Arm Centre in Yelverton, Somerset, in 1987. Posing for the photo, she said she felt strangely cold, though it was a hot day. She also claims she was the only one in the aircraft... so who is that sitting to her right?"

That should be Yeovilton. (One for the typos thread! There is a Yelverton, but it's in Devon. ;) )

rynner2 said:
SameOldVardoger said:
One of the photos on that page has the caption:
"This woman was visiting the Fleet Air Arm Centre in Yelverton, Somerset, in 1987. Posing for the photo, she said she felt strangely cold, though it was a hot day. She also claims she was the only one in the aircraft... so who is that sitting to her right?"

That should be Yeovilton. (One for the typos thread! There is a Yelverton, but it's in Devon. ;) )

And that old lady walking down the garden path is probably exactly that, an old lady and not a ghost.

SameOldVardoger said:
And that old lady walking down the garden path is probably exactly that, an old lady and not a ghost.
I'm not sure why they claim it's an old lady. No varicose veins evident! Could be a woman of almost any age, to my eyes.

But since enquiries could not say who it could have been, I'm not surprised the house-owner was spooked by the video!

That video is as clear as day, and the woman looks very real.
It could be a neighbour who went sleep-walking and ended up in this guy's back garden.
If it's not a ghost, that is.

A thread similar to this one has just started up on another board I frequent:

http://notthetalk.com/discussion/top/19787

I was surprised that any one contributed as the default setting on that site is sarcasm (as you can see by the first post) but there are some good stories on it.

(It will descend into a fight at some point. That message board always does apart from the Cat Thread.)

Hahahahaha, you're a Not The Talker too? :lol:

Remember the dog poo thread on the old place? Awesome. 8)

Back