• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
hi all read these boards for a good while but 1st time posting so abit unsure really..
what i was wondering was re the last post- the theory that undergound water may be favourable for producing ghostly/paranormal experiences, i know Lethbridge proposed this but are there any studies or anything that would correlate this? Is it quite widely recognised?
The reason im asking is that there is a range of hills behind my house where i walk my dog where there is (apparently) an underground resevoir. There are certainly a number of springs up there, and during my perambulations up there i have had several strange happenings.

That's a very good question. However, equally important is MY question, 'So what about these strange happenings, then?' :D

ha ok the first one= it was a fine day, cant remember when exactly but it was summer, day time around midday. a little topographical info will be needed so bear with me..
on reaching the end of the green lane there are several ways to go and the way we go most often is through a small woods uphill to a field at the top, over a stile then along the edge of the field and more uphill, bushes and grass to another woods, bigger this one, where we usually go through but you can walk up the edge along a track and come out on the very top of the first hill where there's a fireplace and some stones that i usually sit on.
From there, again one of several ways to go, walk along the top of the hill and theres a pair of big stones, like a sort of gateway without any gates. Through these and down the hill ending up in the field where you first started off. Thing is theres a sort of natural step in the turf at the bottom and a row of hawthorn that seperate the two fields which means theres about a four/five foot gap at this step.
Well me n the hound had got to the field and were just ambling through when he and i noticed a figure standing on this step. We were about 1/3rd way into the field and looking at this person at first i thought it was just some bod out walking. Then i realised whoever it was was just standing staring at us. Then i realised that said person was strange in that they were all one colour,-their clothes as far as i could tell were a jerkin or shift that came to above the knees and trousers but they were as in silhouette, except the silhouhette was a muddy brown colour-their clothes and their face. Even this didnt strike me as particularly odd, unusual style maybe. The way they were standing there motionless staring was odd, but it was the dogs reaction that made me start-immediately on seeing this person he went into snake crawl, his back stood up and he started a rumbling growl that he just kept up as he inched toward the person. What happened next is the bit that makes me go eugh-the man broke eye contact (as im sure thats what we had even though i couldnt see his face) and literally sidestepped the gap to behind the hawthorn bushes and vanished, At this point dog stopped doing his hound on steroids impression and bolted for the same bush, causing me to do the same thinking he was about to start leaping on some unsuspecting hiking type, but it was only when i got to the step that i realised there was no trace of person and he couldnt have sidestepped behind the bush as to do that his legs would need to be about 8 ft long due to the distance from the step. i checked around for about 5 mins or so to see if maybe they were hiding from dog but nothing. Then i realised that the bushes all have trunks and the branches dont start for about two ft up, so if said person had indeed stepped behind the bush, i would still have seen their legs and feet. needless to say we carried on the walk with a bit to think about. :shock:

Fantastic! :D

Have you gone that way again? I'm guessing that you have, but not seen anything weird again.

hi yes i mostly go that way at least one time a day-hound likes to walk-and i had an experience in the second lot of woods but i think it would be better suited to the pan(ic) in the woods thread-does that matter? also one evening when we were walking back.. i was looking after my daughter's dog at the time so i had the two of them off the lead and we were coming back down the green lane.it was just at the purple time of dusk so not dark yet. on the one side of the green lane is an old abandoned factory-supposedly the site for a bunch of new houses but they started demolition then went bust so now its just old buildings, mounds of rubble, bushes etc the whole lot seperated from the path by a chicken wire fence. At the top of the path leading to the home run it bends round and we were just walking around this bend when i heard the sort of noise as if you're walking along a woodland floor-sticks breaking that sort of thing, as the path is sort of muddy concrete at this point i looked to see what it was-the dogs were slightly in front of me on the path but still plainly in viewand they both stopped dead at the same point, turned tail and came haring back along the path to me. At the same time this happened i noticed that in the factory ground about 6/7 ft in front of me was the silhouette of an animal. Asi said it was on its way to being dark, but not pitch black yet.i couldnt see any details, the animal was side on to me looking over the path. the strangest thing was even while i stood there i couldnt think what animal it was.its shape most resembled a hyena with very big shoulders.i come across cows up there quite often, having to walk through crowds of them milling about on the path and it didnt resemble any cow ive ever seen, although it was about the height of one, it was not so long.same with the deer theory ive been close enough to enough deer to know the shape of one and this was so dis-similar.after clipping the dogs back on the lead i stood and stared trying to work out what it was.
as i couldnt and i didnt particularly want to get any closer-feeling distinctly uncomfortable by this point although i dont know why i dragged the dogs in a wide berth hopped over a brook and high tailed it for home. they were both nervy until we actually got in the back gate as was i. the thing is -its just a stray animal got somewhere it shouldnt be doesnt really work for me as the whole site is fenced off (vandalism occurred) so no way in really and trying to work out what animal it was-with a view to possibly phoning up local farmer etc i still couldnt say.whatever it was though managed to successfully put the wind up two fully grown and usually quite blase dogs and make me sufficiently uneasy to not want to walk past it. the length of fencing just there had been pushed almost flat but from the inside of the site, not from the path side. We went back the next day to have a look dogs were fine. completely unfazed there were no prints or tracks but i didnt really expect there to be. it was just strange and a bit scary for no real reason.

Hi Jac21, welcome to the forums :)
Your first post (the man who disappeared into the bushes) reminded me of sightings of the Green Man

hi, thanks. yes like i said it was just at the point of being dark but not quite pitch yet, so i couldnt see details, just a shape. the head was.. i suppose the nearest animal i could liken it to would be canid, it was quite compact, the ears were sticking up rather than to the sides like a cows for example, it wasnt 'pointed at the nose end quite blunt or rounded similar to a bigger breed of dog like a mastiff, it was the shoulder area that puzzled me most as there didnt seem to be any delineation between them and the neck, much like a hyena, they were very high and seemed to start just behind the head. it was quite tall coming up to my chest height at least i would say, i'm 5.9, and maybe between 3/4 ft long. sorry if the details are a bit sketchy, the whole thing took me so much by surprise that the only comparisons in size that i can think of is how much bigger than the dogs it was, maybe the size between a full grown cow and a calf-cant remember what that stage is called now..heifer is that it? ive seen them fooling about in fields just before they become sensible adult cows. anyhoo, it just seemed wrong in that i knew it not to be the animals that ive normally seen/had to poke out the way to get round, which has happened a few times up there in the fields.

must admit i never considered the green man.. the whole area has a history of once being a deer park for hunting, and ive heard three different names for it so far, but its quite wild and woolly in parts and after about september/october time becomes deserted until the next spring.i also had an interesting walk through one of the woods where i could hear something keeping pace with me on the bank further up, about 5 feet from the path but could see nothing.although ive gone through here a million times that was the only time ive heard anything like it.that was a bit odd.

Thanks Jac, that sounds very weird indeed. If you were in East Africa that'd pass for a good Nandi bear sighting. I can't think of any animal that fits that description anywhere. except the spotted hyena which though big aren't anything like as large as that. Very interesting and unnerving account, thanks for posting it.

Sorry should have asked which part of the world is this?

the edge of lovely peak district in good ol blighty.. yes i still have no idea what it might have been. maybe one day i'll get lucky in daylight.

When I read the description of the canine creature, the first thing that came to my head was the hell dog from Ghostbusters. Was it in any way this shape?
[Sorry the best picture is one of an action figure but it shows its shape nicely]:

http://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Acti ... B0001OM4W2

Brilliant accounts by the way!

hi. wow that is exactly what i was trying to say-incredible thanks..although it didnt seem as spikey. if you can imagine that but chest high then you're spot on. in fact ive got butterflies now..

Jac21 said:
hi. wow that is exactly what i was trying to say-incredible thanks..although it didnt seem as spikey. if you can imagine that but chest high then you're spot on. in fact ive got butterflies now..

Whoa, that IS scary!
I'm not saying that it was this dog [as it is fiction ;) ] but when you said that the back was slanted and the front arms thick and a canine head, this think popped up in my head immediately. In the film it also had a similar hight to what you described. Maybe there is such a creature in mythology that they based that doggy on? Does anyone know?
I also want to know how much higher the chest was, was it more standing up or was it even more slanty?

ah when i said chest high i meant about chest high to me-(not much good at estimating distances/height am afraid). As for the beastie, it was quite thick and compact suggesting muscular-like a badger is muscular or compact. (you get a lot of badger for your money). Its legs were just legs not particularly one thing or another and i couldnt see its feet. also couldnt tell whether or not it had a tail. didnt really want to get any closer to have a good look :oops:

Hypermetropia said:
Just recalled a great story, while posting elsewhere. The cleaners told me that they once had a trainee teacher staying up in an attic room (former servant's quarter). They took him a mug of tea every morning. One morning they found him drenched in sweat and in a state of shock. In the small hours something had woken him and he saw a female figure, dressed in old fashioned costume with a mob cap, standing looking over him. He had pulled over the blankets and not moved until the cleaners found him.

That sounds like a possible hypnopompic hallucination or "night terror" type event to me.

Hypermetropia said:
They took him a mug of tea every morning. One morning they found him drenched in sweat and in a state of shock. In the small hours something had woken him and he saw a female figure, dressed in old fashioned costume with a mob cap, standing looking over him. He had pulled over the blankets and not moved until the cleaners found him.

Hang on, I know this one. Isn't it supposed to be that he was knocking one out with a pair of headphones on, and a pair of his girlfriend's knickers over his face. When he finishes, he looks over and sees a fresh mug of steaming hot tea that his Mum (or in this case, the cleaners) have left for him? I guess it would account for him being sweaty, and not moving for hours too - oh the embarrassment!

LordRsmacker said:
Hypermetropia said:
They took him a mug of tea every morning. One morning they found him drenched in sweat and in a state of shock. In the small hours something had woken him and he saw a female figure, dressed in old fashioned costume with a mob cap, standing looking over him. He had pulled over the blankets and not moved until the cleaners found him.

Hang on, I know this one. Isn't it supposed to be that he was knocking one out with a pair of headphones on, and a pair of his girlfriend's knickers over his face. When he finishes, he looks over and sees a fresh mug of steaming hot tea that his Mum (or in this case, the cleaners) have left for him? I guess it would account for him being sweaty, and not moving for hours too - oh the embarrassment!

I see your gutter mind is the same on this forum as the JCF you old rogue! :lol:

Jac21 said:

I was thinking maybe a species of prehistoric hyena

Pachycrocuta.jpg

This one is Pachycrocuta and stood ant nearly 4 feet in height

yes the general shape is the same, tho i couldnt see the tail end well enough to say what type of tail it had. The height would be about right. the thing was (is) baffling and was a bit worrying at the time. After posting i did a bit of reading into local sightings and it seems that there have been quite a few shuck sightings round here over the years, but i always imagined these were more classic black hounds.

As an anthology of allegedly true experiences from your average Jill and Joe I've repeated the following recommendation many times over the years. So I'm just going to quote myself from this thread:

I'd also recommend (yet again), True Ghost Stories of Our Own Time by Vivienne Rae Ellis, which, although it contains no real research as such, is a bloody good read, being the result of a search for contemporary supernatural experiences. Some of the stories are fairly run of the mill, some really quite frightening and many take place in a modern context well outside the old recycle bin. Generally speaking the experiences seem genuine, although I have to admit that any story which begins 'I've always been a bit psychic' (and there are a few) turns me right off. It's the 'nothing like this has ever happened to me before' ones that always ring true for me.

It's a very absorbing and entertaining read - and occasionally quite disturbing. It's selling for one whole penny on Amazon at the moment - and I guarantee that it would be a penny well spent.

The story that always sticks in my mind is that of the man who as a young boy playing on a demolition site sees a workman standing on the top of a derelict building - who then looks directly at him, smiles, and floats down from his perch landing a few yards from the terrified witness.

(NUUUURSE!!......UNDERPANTS!!)

LordRsmacker said:
Hypermetropia said:

What are you LIKE? Laugh! He actually asked for a change of room, and the cleaners teased him endlessly about his 'visitor'. His state of terror certainly left an impression on the old lady cleaner who found him.

Old Office

Used to work in an old engineering company in the North East of England
& had quite a few `moments` there. make of this what you will & hopefully other people can input or elaborate.

the office was an old L shaped building in a yard. Hard to describe but through the door a small office on the right, on the left a counter & open plan office & then a door in the corner to the other part of the L (if you see what i mean) in this office there was a toilet & a door to the outside. This led to the front of the yard & a little alcove which was like a short `alley` about 15ft long & about 6ft wide, nothing above us except for attic space & a slate roof.

Any how at any one time there would be me & the office manager (who I will call Pat) who sat in the open plan office. Now apart from the phones ringing, us talking or the radio, most days you could hear a pin drop as we worked. A few times we heard someone in the other office walking about & taps & knocks.....as expected we`d get up to see who had come into the office through the outside door (back office) & 9 times out of 10 no one....... The door into the other office was 90% of the time open & quite a few times through the gap youd see a figure or a dark shape go past quick, only for no one to enter the office.....Me & Pat both agreed that we never felt threatened or scared but that on some occasions when we happened to be in the office on our own for whatever reason, there was always a feeling we where being watched & this feeling would really get to you (on a few occasions Pat admitted that she had gone outside for 1 or 2 mins & then gone back in)

The Incident which unerved us the most happened one afternoon (winter time, clocks had gone back & it was approx 3.30 - 4-30pm) all the lads who worked on site where at a job & only I & Pat where in the place. Now what happened was I out of the corner of my eye saw I noticed a figure walk past the window at the end of the office, Quickly i jumped up & thought someone was in the yard stealing or up to no good I shouted to Pat `quick Pat` & she got up & followed me, I went through the door into the back office & threw the door open into the alley way, it must have took me about 2-3 seconds to do this, I jumped out to catch the mystery person & as you guessed it, no one..... No one could have gone out & through the gate in that time, no one could have jumped the wall etc & the figure in all honestly looked as if theyd come through the end wall of next door & into the alley way.........me & Pat at first thought one of the lads may have been having a laugh but no, they all pulled into the yard about 30-40 mins later in the vans........

Ive looked at websites & books on the area & before the yard, warehouse & office block where built, this was all street housing & it was a very run down part of the area. I always wondered who occupied this site or who it could be who kept me & Pat on the edge of our seats.....

The business has moved now & the buildings are still there waiting for development etc........i may see my old boss & see if hes got a key, it may be a nice idea to have a look in that old building. :D

I posted on here on the 6th about my experiances at the place I worked in the mid to late 90s. The day after I bumped into a colleague of mine who worked in `production` & we had a bit of a talk & reminisce & below is what he told me, some reminded me of situations that happened at the time & one or two instances in which he never mentioned anything to anyone but kept it to himself & thought it was his imagination.

Across from the L shaped Office block was the Warehouse / workshop, mate
Bill (not real name) worked in here, He was a few years younger than me (about 23-24) & had been in the army so things like, bumps, knocks & ticks wouldnt have scared him so easily, but he admitted to me a few times that things got quite unervy....

He worked sometimes using an angle grinder & wore safety glasses or goggles, a few times when he knew fine well he was on his own, he would see things out the corner of his eye, & thinking it was a customer or member of staff take his goggles off & head to the area hed seen someone enter, & as youve guessed it, no one....(he mentioned that a few times it happened & it wasnt a spark or a reflection but someone walking into the workshop)....

He mentioned that once he & a colleague where working together when they both heard a noise in the loft area, footsteps etc, there was only one way in, one way out & no one had passed them, so they went up there, nothing...

I mentioned to Bill my experiences & he had one similar to mine with regards to hearing someone in the other office....& that was a time when i or Pat where not there & he heard the other office door open & close & thought this was the manager coming into the office.....Bill said he walked through speaking to who he thought was in the office & telling them about an order only for the office to be completely empty, he said he thought he was going `potty` when that happened....

& of course the best till last, 2 incidents but just as good, working late at another site he had to come back to the yard on his own, put the van away, put the keys in the office & turn the alarm off, then he had to put the alarm back on & lock the office. he said he came back & from the moment he went into the office there was a feeling dread as if someone hated him & wanted him out of the office. He put the van away & said he had to go back into the office to put the van keys away & the alarm back on.....he said this time he felt as if whoever it was would hurt him, his nerves went & he does not know how he did this to this day but managed to do all those things in a matter of seconds before running out of the main gates to his car. Also one time Bill came running into the office & lambasted one of our lads for walking out of the workshop whilst he was calling them to help with a piece of equipment........(the lads all wore red overalls) only to be told by his colleague in the office he had just walked from the changing cabins straight into the office & not into the workshop.........Bill admitted that thinking back this persons profile / shape looked different to the lad in the office & that this person in the red overalls could be the person haunting the yard / office etc...

Bororeturn1 = I enjoyed your recollections, thanks for that. Certainly, a 'feeling of dread' (that can come over you without explanation) is really only understood once you have experienced it yourself.

My father wanted to visit a small chapel in Wales with my mother. They parked a few yards away and my father headed off up the lane, followed by my mother and their little dog. Suddenly the dog refused to move and started growling and simultaneously my mother felt herself rooted to the spot by a sense of impending danger. She just would not go any nearer. My father visited the chapel with no ill effects.

good stories-id definitely be tempted to go back for a visit while the places are empty, just to see what its like...
Hypermetropia your story reminded me of about two or three years ago, i was getting ready to call it a night when we had a small localised earthquake, It happened at about 1.15 am and as the place shimmied about i ran upstairs followed by the dog, to check on the kids. They were still snoring of course, :) but directly after that, a matter of seconds, (the shaking had stopped by this point), i experienced the most horrifying, bowel-watering feeling of terror that ive ever had. It was like i couldnt be physically anywhere, hard to describe, went outside it was no better, the dog was running round growling, all his back up. Went back inside and gibbered and raved for a bit with dog sitting there hooting. Went back upstairs and bf just lying there cool as a cucumber. Only thing he felt was annoyance at me trying to get him to notice the horror. This lasted for about 1/2 hour i spose then i finally could just sit. Not sure what was so terrifying, just indefinable terror/danger, but in such a way that you most decidedly didnt want to be there. Unfortunately everywhere else was just the same.
checking this out afterwards it seems that low frequency waves that precede and follow earthquakes can have this effect, hence the preceding migrations of animals away from earthquakes presumably.
Just hope i never experience anything similar

I must admit, at my old workplace I never felt dread or threatened in anyway, but there was times when Pat was on holiday or on her lunch & I would be sat there working & you would be concentrating on your work & the last thing you would be thinking about is `ghosts` but suddenly you get that `feeling` (hard to put into words) & then you would feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. As mentioned previously a few times that happened but not just to me but my colleagues & it was only one day when we were sat in the office together `chatting` that most of these experiences `came out` & it seems too much of a coincidence that you have the same feelings or see or hear the same things etc.

The area of our workplace / yard was a set of terraced houses on a street before they got knocked down to make way for the industrial area. Just think how many people lived, worked & died there, sometimes its bound to `rub off` into the landscape or area where you are working.

As ive been typing about these experiances first time since not working there ( I left the company in 1999) so its well over a decade now, but things keep coming back to me about the place which must have been in the far corner of my mind, an incident which i had totally forgot about was once our Manager (Jim) came into the office a bit perplexed. a tool he was using had gone missing from the work bench, he came into the office to see if it was there, NO. he couldnt find it anywhere (& needed it to complete a job) he looked all over, offices, stores area in the vans & could not find it.....he gave up & decided to carry on with something else. However a good 30mins to an hour of looking he was called by Bill into the cabin / mess area only to find this `tool / equipment` on the table. At first he thought Bill or one of the other lads taking the P*ss but according to BIll he had come into the cabin & thought that this item strange to be in there!!!! I asked Bill later on if he was having a laugh, to which he replied No. This story goes with my theory, I felt that the ghosts where a mixture of an adult `male` & young children who could be mischevious, I dont know where this info came from but thats what i sort of felt at the time.

I dunno, how sure can you be that nobody was playing a joke?

Back