• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A cyberfriend's stepson died early in the morning last Christmas Day. She recently messaged on WhatsApp that this Christmas Eve, whilst the family were all tucked up in their beds asleep, the clock in their living room fell down - 'forcibly' was the word she used. She also said that things get moved around in that room on occasion.

At a Christmas lunch I was lucky enough to be sat on an end table with one of my friends and his very interesting wife. She told me a ghost story that one of her friends had told her. The friend was visiting Hampton Court when a young man dressed in a white shirt and trousers and carrying an old fashioned tennis racquet walked past him. As he looked out of place the friend turned to watch at him and saw him disappear into a wall.The friend looked at the wall more closely and saw that there appeared to be a blocked up door at the point where the person disappeared. My friend's wife said that her friend wasn't someone interested in the paranormal and seemed to be very puzzled about what he had seen. She also said that what had convinced her was that her friend wasn't given to telling stories, and also that if he had made it up she would have expected him to see a Tudor ghost, not a 1940s one.
It reads more like a time slip as do most of the tales, a guy just going about his everyday life unaware that someone in the future has gotten a glimpse, I can think of no other explanation I mean why would the sprit of someone just wander past, perhaps the mystics are right and there is no such thing as time and everything and I mean everything is just happening in the present moment, it's quite mind blowing

At a Christmas lunch I was lucky enough to be sat on an end table with one of my friends and his very interesting wife. She told me a ghost story that one of her friends had told her. The friend was visiting Hampton Court when a young man dressed in a white shirt and trousers and carrying an old fashioned tennis racquet walked past him. As he looked out of place the friend turned to watch at him and saw him disappear into a wall.The friend looked at the wall more closely and saw that there appeared to be a blocked up door at the point where the person disappeared. My friend's wife said that her friend wasn't someone interested in the paranormal and seemed to be very puzzled about what he had seen. She also said that what had convinced her was that her friend wasn't given to telling stories, and also that if he had made it up she would have expected him to see a Tudor ghost, not a 1940s one.
Doesn't Hampton Court have a famous tennis court dating back to Henry VIII's time?
If the blocked doorway is en route to the tennis court then maybe 1940s tennis ghost was just off for a game with Henry VIII's ghost

No, no. If you are attempting to cultivate that authentic "evil furniture" look, you don't dust, and let the cobwebs form where they may. This may be helped be gently relocating spiders into the furniture instead of throwing them outside (at least, I throw them outside, other people may be less merciful).
The ultimate dusty cursed artefact must be the model ship on display in Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem Inn in Nottingham. Cleaning it brings down catastrophe upon the heads of those who dare.
It's currently safely housed in a hygienic glass case.

Lovely pub - can recommend a visit.

Respectable Visit Nottinghamshire page on the Inn.

Hampton Court has a long association with tennis, going back to the 1520s, and it is still played there.
Perhaps the FOAF saw the spirit of a former player revisiting his happy place. :)

Someone's 2006 sighting, as posted on a football forum:

'I manage a restaurant that dates back to 1768 when it was originally a barn that stored grain for Washington's army camped near by during the American war for independence. There have always been numerous stories of the place being haunted throughout the years, and the place can be quite eerie at nighttime, especially when you are by yourself doing paperwork.

Anyway, one morning I came in early at 6am to set up for a banquet party, the only other person in the restaurant was a woman from house keeping (there is a hotel on the property) cleaning the property, and her daughter was running around playing in the dining room, running between the tables.

After I got set up with my opening paperwork I came back downstairs and asked the cleaner how old her daughter was. She said she doesn't have a daughter and that the only other person she saw in the restaurant was me. I searched the entire restaurant and saw nobody, nothing. Now I know I saw a girl running around, as clear as day and dismissed her as the woman's daughter.

Rightly freaked me out. The restaurant is supposed to be haunted by a little girl and some say they have seen a colonial soldier. I have an open mind on a lot of things but cant explain what happened.'

https://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/forums/topic/31900-ghosts/page/2/

Someone's 2006 sighting, as posted on a football forum:

'I manage a restaurant that dates back to 1768 when it was originally a barn that stored grain for Washington's army camped near by during the American war for independence. There have always been numerous stories of the place being haunted throughout the years, and the place can be quite eerie at nighttime, especially when you are by yourself doing paperwork.

Anyway, one morning I came in early at 6am to set up for a banquet party, the only other person in the restaurant was a woman from house keeping (there is a hotel on the property) cleaning the property, and her daughter was running around playing in the dining room, running between the tables.

After I got set up with my opening paperwork I came back downstairs and asked the cleaner how old her daughter was. She said she doesn't have a daughter and that the only other person she saw in the restaurant was me. I searched the entire restaurant and saw nobody, nothing. Now I know I saw a girl running around, as clear as day and dismissed her as the woman's daughter.

Rightly freaked me out. The restaurant is supposed to be haunted by a little girl and some say they have seen a colonial soldier. I have an open mind on a lot of things but cant explain what happened.'

https://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/forums/topic/31900-ghosts/page/2/
Fantastic. :cool:
That's exactly what I come here for.

Another one:

'About 5 or 6 years ago me and Tracy were driving back from a match at Anfield we got held up in traffic and finally got off the M4 at about 3am.

So we were doing the drive down into Bath there was no other traffic about still miles from anywhere. We went around this tight corner and there was a bit of a straight ahead, then Tracy suddenly said "Whats that light just off the road about 200 hundred yards ahead of us?"

Then all of a sudden a figure walked out to the centre of the road and we could make out the figure - it was a man in maybe his 50's with a beard but he was dressed in 18th century clothes, a tri-point hat, a ruffled shirt, a long cloak, breeches and black boots. In one hand he had a walking cane and in the other hand he had a candle in a lantern and was swinging it from side to side trying to get us to stop.

Tracy said to me "Don't you dare stop" . I had to slow down a bit so I could drive around him on the wrong side of the road.

We just laughed it off more than likely a joke or a Bath university prank.

But talking to people about it afterwards, people said "Oh you saw the Coachman" who's meant to be on that road.

I still think it was a prank of some kind maybe I should have drove straight at him that would have sorted out if he was a ghost or not.'

Also: this, from the same forum:

'You're not that Tom Slemen in disguise are ya? When I gave him the story of my ghost, he changed all the details and read it out on radio. Bet it also appears in one of his books too. Just a researcher, Slemen, not an expert. Give credit to those who deserve it. Plagiarism is alive and well. Didn't have the guts to reply to my email either.'

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=41236.0

You need to visit this couple and force them to beat more details out of their pal.
Specifically, a closer description of the tennis player and the exact location of the filled-in doorway.
Where did the 1940s feeling come from?
I will ask her for more details next time I see her, she mentioned the 1940s vibe in passing, but I got the impression it was something their friend had said

Blocked-up doorways - fascinating.
As I've mentioned, I often spot them as we cycle past farm buildings out in the sticks. Wouldn't it be cool to see someone stroll straight through one! That'd make my bike wobble.
I have a work colleague who has an PhD in architectural archaeology which is about re-creating lost structures from old plans, remaining details etc, which sounds fascinating. Until comparatively recently the footprint of Dorset St in Spitalfields where Mary Kelly was murdered remained, as a service road. In the road there was a step which had been the step into the court in which she had lived, but it's all gone now, part of the interior courtyard of an office building.

I have a work colleague who has an PhD in architectural archaeology which is about re-creating lost structures from old plans, remaining details etc, which sounds fascinating. Until comparatively recently the footprint of Dorset St in Spitalfields where Mary Kelly was murdered remained, as a service road. In the road there was a step which had been the step into the court in which she had lived, but it's all gone now, part of the interior courtyard of an office building.
Wouldn't it have been great to pop over and remove that step! It could go in the garden to stand plants on.
Also to sit nearby on a summer evening, glass of light beer in hand, waiting for the ghosts to find it. :nods:

Wouldn't it have been great to pop over and remove that step! It could go in the garden to stand plants on.
Also to sit nearby on a summer evening, glass of light beer in hand, waiting for the ghosts to find it. :nods:
Get out of my head!.

I'm watching Digging Up Britain's Past on Sky History where there's a scene with a garden wall built from stone that came from a Tudor palace.
Haunted, gotta be. :cool:
I've still got a bit of the steam ship Fernebo on my back yard wall. I salvaged loads of bits then gifted them to local historians who are now looking after them. Even the locals got involved over a hundred years ago by holding hands to drag people to safety out of the sea. I admitted to our mayor that I still have a bit and he's given me unofficial permission to keep it. I'm not going to do that. If the story of that rescue was ever made into a film these days? (it could have been a messy rescue, one Swedish man died in the explosion but our boys (and girls) saved the rest of them .. the King of England got that crew to Buckingham Palace to give them all medals. So long as no one tells Tom Cruise about this story I'll be happy.

I'd have dug it up if I'd known, that part of London is very odd, it's increasingly becoming an extension of the City, but there are still these little pockets of the old Whitechapel.

There was also a woman, a very respectable individual, who was adamant she had seen Mary Kelly alive , when she couldn't have been, the morning that she was discovered dead. I think it was discussed at the inquest.

I've still got a bit of the steam ship Fernebo on my back yard wall. I salvaged loads of bits then gifted them to local historians who are now looking after them. Even the locals got involved over a hundred years ago by holding hands to drag people to safety out of the sea. I admitted to our mayor that I still have a bit and he's given me unofficial permission to keep it. I'm not going to do that. If the story of that rescue was ever made into a film these days? (it could have been a messy rescue, one Swedish man died in the explosion but our boys (and girls) saved the rest of them .. the King of England got that crew to Buckingham Palace to give them all medals. So long as no one tells Tom Cruise about this story I'll be happy.
When they make that fillum, who'll play you? :thought:

Tom Cruise and Henry Blogg don't look alike, so we can all relax.

I'd have dug it up if I'd known, that part of London is very odd, it's increasingly becoming an extension of the City, but there are still these little pockets of the old Whitechapel.

There was also a woman, a very respectable individual, who was adamant she had seen Mary Kelly alive , when she couldn't have been, the morning that she was discovered dead. I think it was discussed at the inquest.
At the inquest into the death of someone close to me, of which the day/time of death was uncertain, there were statements from people who knew the deceased well and swore to having seen them alive after they must have been dead. It's weird.

At the inquest into the death of someone close to me, of which the day/time of death was uncertain, there were statements from people who knew the deceased well and swore to having seen them alive after they must have been dead. It's weird.
Be really interesting to see how common it is for that to happen and for it to be recorded at an inquest.

A cyberfriend's stepson died early in the morning last Christmas Day. She recently messaged on WhatsApp that this Christmas Eve, whilst the family were all tucked up in their beds asleep, the clock in their living room fell down - 'forcibly' was the word she used. She also said that things get moved around in that room on occasion.
He wants them to think of him. As if they'd forget! :(

Be really interesting to see how common it is for that to happen and for it to be recorded at an inquest.
A sister of the deceased saw the person happily driving a big posh car slowly along in traffic moving out of town. The two siblings waved and grinned, and Sis sensed that the other knew she was thinking 'Where's that flashy car from and where does X think they're going in it?'

When Sis was informed that her sibling had died she was adamant that it must have happened days later than it did because she'd only been in town on that particular day, when she saw the car. It was a big shock.

Sis didn't make a statement about it because she came to believe that she'd seen Sibling set off on an unearthly journey.

When they make that fillum, who'll play you? :thought:
Swirling powerful orchestral music, tight camerawork after the panoramic establishing shots of the gem of the North Norfolk coast at sunrise. Possibly a crane shot brings us into the town itself. Cosy scenes with locals inside tiny rooms baking bread or chucking seafood into buckets or something and laughing at everything the other ones say for no obvious reason and unconvincingly. I'll instead be that bloke in the background walking that dog. I'm really good at that and so is the dogs.

edit: Mytho's right and so was that dog.

Last edited:
'Here is one my grandmother used to tell when I was a kid. She is 93 and still going strong although dementia has been gradually stealing it's terrible grip on her for a good few years now. The story concerns her mother so it's my guess that this would have happened sometime in the early 1920s. So, Belfast in the first quarter of the last century, a suitably eerie setting.

Being from a poor district in Belfast, my great grandmother was sent out to work from a young age but I think she was in her early twenties when this happened. She cleaned the houses of some of the more well-off residents of the north part of the city and around the docks area. Many of the local girls and women took these jobs as a way to make end meet and support their young families. There was a particular house that some of the older women refused to work in - its been years since I heard this story, but think it was either a local GP or priest who owned/lived in the house. A huge, rambling three-story affair long since demolished; it was reported to be haunted by a figure dressed in black. The story went that you would hear the swish-swish-swish of the long black cloak on the bare floorboads of the stairs as the figure descended.

Being young (and desperate for money) my great-grandmother took the house on. Whether she saw what she claims or whether she was amped-up by all the stories she had been told, I can't say. Occuring during the working day it was broad daylight obviously, with good strong light coming in through the windows - she remembered the dust motes dancing in the sun beams as she cleaned. What I do know is that she fled the house after hearing the swishing of the cloak, as she went about cleaning the main downstairs room. Taking a fleeting glance up the stairs as went, she claimed to have seen the figure descending and that it glided rather than walked and that it was hooded.'

Source: https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=41236.1080

*shivers*

'Many years ago my mum was in hospital and Jess was still a little girl. We had a phone call from the hospital that we needed to get there as there wasn't long left, so we rang Deb's parents and got them to come and sit with Jess (as she was in bed sleeping). We went to the hospital and at 2.45am my mum died. A day or two later we were sat talking with Deb's parents and they said that during that nght Jess had woken up very disturbed and was mumbling something about Nanna. When we asked what time that was they said it was 2.45am.

A few nights later when Jess was in bed asleep, we heard her talking to someone. Debs went up and Jess was sat up in bed looking at the window and talking away. Debs asked her who she was talking to and Jess said she was talking to Nanna. Debs asked where was Nanna and Jess said she was sitting on the window sill.'

Quite like this one:

"Mrs Seymour​

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Twenty-first century
Further Comments: Named by residents, this ghostly older woman has been observed walking up the driveway before disappearing, and also cross the landing. A disembodied voice could be heard calling 'Hello?' when the building stood empty."

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php

Back