• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. stu neville

Politics Guidelines 2024 - IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ

It's now been over six years since we first started enforcing the embargo on political discussions that had no obvious Fortean angle - if you wish to refresh your memory, please see the Bloody Politics thread . By and large, this rule has been adhered to, however there are nonetheless relatively...
  2. stu neville

Las Vegas Alleged Third Kind Close Encounter

This is interesting not least for the amount of coverage it's getting...
  3. stu neville

IMPORTANT: SUBSCRIBERS PLEASE READ Direct Debit - Possible Subscription Issue

This has just - literally - been brought to attention elsewhere. This is an email from Diamond Publishing to a subscriber: I've no idea how widespread this is, or even if it's accurate, but please check your emails if you subscribe to the mag. Obviously it's hard to verify at 8.00 pm on a...
  4. stu neville

Moderation News

I am very pleased to announce that @MercuryCrest has kindly agreed to reprise his role as a moderator, effective immediately. This is an interim arrangement whilst we look at mod coverage going forward.
  5. stu neville

Dr Paul Lee's Haunted Hotels Site

As mentioned on the Hotel Encounters, Anyone? thread, please do check out our very own Dr Paul Lee's Haunted Hotels site. He's really put some serious legwork into it, hopefully sorting the currently active from the historically active. A good read for anyone who likes a spooky mini-break .
  6. stu neville

Hauntings ( Paramount+ )

Hauntings is a new, four-part original series, due to premiere on Paramount+ next Friday (28th October). The first episode is about The Enfield Poltergeist - I've been lucky enough to preview it, would be interested to hear what others think.
  7. stu neville

FT416 - A Message From The Magazine

Message from the mag about non-receipt of issue 416 (March 22) : "There seems to have been a problem with some subscribers in certain areas getting their copies of FT this month. If you haven't received yours, please email our publisher at [email protected] or call +44 (0) 208 752 8195 for...
  8. stu neville

The Fortean Fiction Dressed As Fact Forum - About

This forum has been set up specifically to contain threads that whilst purporting to be genuine report of Fortean phenomena, are in fact fictional (this includes viral marketing and so on.) As these are often interesting, entertaining and/or instructive in and of themselves, rather than deleting...
  9. stu neville

The 'Emily' Threads

As we all (pretty much) agree that these are in fact fictional, I have moved them all to a new subforum of Fortean Culture created especially for putatively Fortean material that is in fact fiction: The Fortean Fiction Dressed As Fact subforum. Feel free to post any future Emily postings in...
  10. stu neville

Personal Stories About Black Shapes , sense of foreboding

Morning, everyone. I am doing a lengthy piece for the mag, and sourcing quite a lot of material already posted on here, but I need your anecdotes. Specifically, this kind of stuff, mostly outdoors, but especially when you've experienced more than one of these at once: Black or grey shapes...
  11. stu neville

Men Who Openly Live With Sex Dolls

This is a bit sad, a bit disturbing, and downright bloody weird. Read all about it
  12. stu neville

What Is The Troll's Head?

It's a pub. And it's been here a bloody sight longer than you have.
  13. stu neville

Tagging Threads

As we now have the capacity, I have enabled the tagging function. This has a number of useful functions, but mostly it assists searches and means that titles don't have to be overly complicated (ie to give a precis of everything the thread might contain.) You add tags in the box below the...
  14. stu neville

Exclusive! U.S. President: The Moon Is Part Of Mars

Those who follow the Wotsit-In-Chief's Twitter feed may already be aware of this. Either it's the cutting-edge scientific scoop of the century, or he's off his meds again. "...Mars(of which the Moon is a part)..." I know this is fringing on the political, but it's my call in the end, and it's...
  15. stu neville

Local TV Weirdness

Kind of like the Max Headroom Pirate broadcast, this happened about an hour ago here in the West of England. BBC Breakfast handed over to the regional bulletin as per at around 6.55, but instead of the local anchor we got her voice, but something else entirely in vision (which does, oddly, fit...
  16. stu neville

Fake FT Instagram Account

Though we're no longer affiliated, I think it's important we share this message from Dr David Sutton:
  17. stu neville

The Highgate Vampire Etc.

Given the recent death of David Farrant, coupled with renewed interest in the Highgate saga and the personalities involved (not to mention this community now being beyond the influence of a publisher's custard-spined legals), we have decided it's high time we reopened the relevant threads. I...
  18. stu neville

Throwing Cheese At Babies

I really, really have no words. If it's real. Link here.
  19. stu neville

Fortean-themed Groups On Facebook

Casting around for some opinion, actually. As part of a wider thing I'm concocting, I've been delving into the myriad Fort-interest groups on Facebook. Some - such as the main Fortean Times Appreciation group quite closely mirror the general ethos of the mag (and by extension this place), with...
  20. stu neville

Bloody Politics

Following another politically-inspired spite-fest overnight, and given the proliferation of such discussions in the past couple of years, I have decided to segregate all the political threads with absolutely no Fortean angle into their own dedicated forum, called Politics. I will start shifting...
  21. stu neville

FT353

Got it yesterday. Looking very good, especially Mr Josiffe's Gef article. Have some time to myself later so will have a proper read.
  22. stu neville

FIFA , Blatter and their entirely legitimate business

So finally, someone's doing something about FIFA. Is it a case of waiting for ducks to be be in a row? Auntie Beeb on what the Swiss are up to.
  23. stu neville

Spoilers

We no longer have to fiddle about with back ground colours - go into the "plus" sign above the reply box, and there's the spoiler control. Just click it, add a title if you like, and then type between the spoiler code brackets... Good eh? Please use when discussing TV series, movies etc that...
  24. stu neville

Cutting & Pasting Articles: Accepted Protocol

I have investigated the copyright situation. It's not clear-cut (of course), but the general gist is that if certain publishers were so-minded they could probably rip us a new one, given the sheer amount of their material that's been lifted wholesale, albeit usually accredited. And, to be frank...
  25. stu neville

Good Posting Practices

This thread has been distilled down from a 20 page, 600 post epic which kicked off 15 years ago. In that time we've had a number of major software changes that have rendered a lot of posts redundant, plus about 12 pages of off-topic meandering. What follows is all appropriate to the current...
  26. stu neville

Change directors

Following from the Gilliam thread, this is a game I've played with friends. Basically, take a film, good, bad, failure whatever and nominate who you'd rather have had direct it. So, as I've said before - Shyamalan's The Village - remade by Terry Gilliam. A Series of Unfortunate Events -...
  27. stu neville

Life of Rock with Brian Pern, BBC4

Anyone else see this? Marvellous pastiche of the sort of musical history docs that BBC4 regularly churns out. Presented by Brian Pern, po-faced former lead singer of Thotch, inventor of world music, and first user of plasticene in rock videos (Simon Day as Not-Peter-Gabriel in any way at all, no...
  28. stu neville

Time Lords vs Jedi - smackdown in Norfolk

I can't believe no-one's posted this yet! Now, I like Star Wars. And then again, I like Dr Who. But which is better? There's only one way to find out..
  29. stu neville

1000-Year-Old Coins Found In Australia May Rewrite History

Well, I think given its potential significance, it's worth keeping as a thread in its own right for the time being, especially as McIntosh will be mounting his expedition in a matter of weeks.
  30. stu neville

Childhood abuse and neglect - personal testimonies

This new thread has been extracted from the Savile and Yewtree threads, and deals with personal testimony from posters, as it is apparent there does need to be some sort of outlet on thread that can be given the attention it deserves without the sensationalist news stories swamping them. As...
  31. stu neville

Long-Range Weather Predictions

We've got lots of weather threads, but none that focus on the kind of long-range ones that predict the hottest / coldest / wettest / driest summer / winter for 50 years etc every bloody year. Now, given that in the last year or three we've had some pretty extreme conditions, I thought it'd be an...
  32. stu neville

Conspiracy - War on Terror Forum

Forum now open. There's still a lot of stuff to be shifted about, so again, bear with us.
  33. stu neville

Cryptozoology Forum Reorganisation

Work has now started. What I'm doing is conglomerating threads, sweeping up smaller, few-post ones into larger categories. For example, we now have larger abc, nessie, yeti, orang-pendek, yowie, skunk ape etc threads. These will be stickied while I merge disparate bits into them - this will take...
  34. stu neville

Notes & Queries

For those of you with long memories, it's back. This forum is for.. well, notes and queries of a Fortean nature. So, if you have a nagging question, or a partial memory of weirdness and are unsure which forum to even start with, this is the place to ask. Remember, this is all about the...
  35. stu neville

Should Urban Legends and Folklore have their own forums?

Following discussion on the Board improvements or suggestions thread, the idea that Urban Legends and Folklore should each have its own forum was mooted. I can see the merit in both seperate forums and keeping it all together, so am putting it to the vote. The poll will run for two weeks.
  36. stu neville

Silver object over Bath April 12th 2012

I've posted this on the sonic boom thread as well, but I think it deserves a mention hereabouts. From here As I said in the other thread, I heard the boom faintly - I was outside and assumed it was thunder. However my son was on higher ground and heard it much more clearly, and he and...
  37. stu neville

Bristol Zoo car park attendant UL

The Bristol Evening Post ran this a couple of years ago as, ironically, part of an article on ULs, but has since acquired a life of its own, culminating in an appearance in the "Cuttings" section at the end of The News Quiz a few weeks ago. Great story, but completely untrue - Snopes has it...
  38. stu neville

Monsters vs. Aliens

I saw this on Monday. And I loved every moment of it :). Clever lines, brilliantly drawn, well acted and above all very affectionate toward every SciFi movie you ever saw.The Close Encounters bit had me in stitches. If you've not seen it, go and see it. If you have, what did you think of it?
  39. stu neville

Bizarre Tourist Attractions

These crop up in other threads from time to time, but I don't think we've got a dedicated one, so this is a thread for peculiar or just spectacularly disappointing tourist attractions. To kick off, I'm intrigued by Collectors World (sic), Apparently "A highly popular tourist attraction in...
  40. stu neville

Nurse Suspended For Prayer Offer

Oh for the love of…:rolleyes: From Auntie Beeb: This has made various front pages, notably the Daily Mail (with predictable ire), but the nurse herself comes over as entirely kind and sincere - she just offered, rather sweetly, to pray for a patient. When the patient said no thank you, she...
  41. stu neville

Are Microsoft controlling the hardware market?

Following my post in Tech Help, over on WSI, where I said this: ..after which I ended up adding more RAM (which has done the trick by and large) I've spoken with a few people each of whom are convinced that MS are pushing the envelope deliberately. Now, is this because they are exploiting...
  42. stu neville

Guidelines For Posting Spoilers

Following a few, unintentional incidents where plot details or endings have been given away in the course of discussion, and following a suggestion elsewhere by the_walkin_dude, this thread will give general guidelines on the posting of spoilers. What are spoilers? Plot details, especially...
  43. stu neville

Monster Hunter (US - Destination Truth) TV show

Currently airing at 21.00 on Sunday nights on Virgin1. In the first episode, hunting the Malay bigfoot and an Argentinian lake monster, the editing was way too fast and incoherent at times, and it took me a while to get used to the host, Josh Gates, who spends a lot of time bellowing a...
  44. stu neville

Dead Dolphin Found In Garden

This is a bit rum... more from the Beeb
  45. stu neville

The Lewis Chessmen

This is as much an ethical point as a newsworthy one. The BBC says: Now, in light of the wider ethical point this raises, I've started a dedicated thread here. Given the logical conclusion in this case, then surely the wider ethical point would include the eventual, potential...
  46. stu neville

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

For all your day-to-day technological queries and quandaries... God I'm channelling Robert Robinson To share jolly good programs and freeware and such, head on over to Useful Apps.
  47. stu neville

Epworth and Old Jeffrey

Following on from this thread about John Wesley's scary chair, his childhood home, Epworth Rectory, was the scene of an early and well documented poltergeist haunting. Despite being a staple of British ghost books, most online accounts seem to be a near facsimile of this one: *..it isn't...
  48. stu neville

Mythbusters (Discovery Channel, BBC2)

The series has been mentioned a fair bit in the course of other threads, not just UL ones, but I thought we could do with a thread about the programme itself. I do like the series, and make a point of watching them (Discovery, in the UK at least, has them on a seemingly permanent loop, though...
  49. stu neville

Jonathon King's Harold Shipman Song in criticism shock!

This is just... :shock: . I'm surprised no-one else has picked up on it (if they have let me know and a-merging I will go.) From Auntie Beeb: Where to begin? It's just wrong on sooo many levels. I am however somewhat intrigued that a song called "The True Story Of Harold Shipman"...
  50. stu neville

The Sheep As Fake Poodle Story Evolves!

Following on from this story in the Strange Crimes thread: Now, this has been duly related in other papers, has shown up on "Have I got News For You?" last Friday (27/04/07), and then featured again this morning on, erm, This Morning (eerily also hosted by Fern Britton). It's caused a bit of a...
Back